IT.COM

discuss What Agencies can close the block/suspend/termination of a domain name. .com, .de, .uk etc

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello,
I am curious to know which agencies can order a block, suspension and termination of a domain name?

It is my perception that a domain should not be blocked unless ordered by a court. Yet I see some cases where registrars intervene to block sites reported for phishing or other issues.
I may understand that for .com, the FBI might have some jurisdiction, although not convinced if they should.
How does the block/termination role play for other generic and ccTLDS?

I am particularly interested to know for .com and for European ccTLDs .

Does anyone know from experience?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm pretty sure that pretty much any court can order the transfer, suspension or termination of a domain. That's what it says in more registrar agreements that you agree to when you register a domain name.

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/ra-agreement-2009-05-21-en#3.7.7.11 reads:
  • 3.7.7.11 The Registered Name Holder shall agree that its registration of the Registered Name shall be subject to suspension, cancellation, or transfer pursuant to any ICANN adopted specification or policy, or pursuant to any registrar or registry procedure not inconsistent with an ICANN adopted specification or policy, (1) to correct mistakes by Registrar or the Registry Operator in registering the name or (2) for the resolution of disputes concerning the Registered Name.
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/responsibilities-2014-03-14-en reads:
  • If there is a dispute in connection with the use of the registered name, the Registered Name Holder must agree to jurisdiction of the courts in at least one of two places: where the Registrar is located (often stated on the website or in the Registrar/Registered Name Holder Agreement) or the "Registered Name Holder's domicile." "Domicile" is a word with legally-specific meaning, but typically will be the location the Registered Name Holder provides to the Registrar in the required Personal Data. Agreeing to jurisdiction means that the Registered Name Holder agrees that the courts in those locations have the power to decide these types of cases.4
  • The Registered Name Holder must agree that its registration is subject to "suspension, cancellation, or transfer" for the reasons stated in Section 3.7.7.11. Those reasons include: if an ICANN adopted specification or policy requires it or if a registrar or registry procedure requires it "to correct mistakes by Registrar or the Registry Operator in registering the name or for the resolution of disputes concerning the Registered Name." For example, the UDRP is an ICANN adopted policy that specifies that an administrative panel hearing a domain name dispute could order that a domain name registration be suspended, transferred or cancelled, and the Registered Name Holder has to agree that this is a possibility.
Based on this we have the courts and ICANN at least. Any others?

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back