NameSilo

discuss What after .COM?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
Which extension do you think is the next big hit after .COM and .ORG?

Name an extension that you really really believe in!

For me, it is .CO

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Which extension do you think is the next big hit after .COM and .ORG?

Name an extension that you really really believe in!

For me, it is .CO
It's .CO for me too. I find that many really good two word domains that are taken are available in .co, and if you choose an industry like finance, real estate or building you have a much better of selling your name for a reasonable return. I only own about a dozen .co's, but I would use them for my startup in a heartbeat if the .com was taken.

•••
Byte.co was released this week and it's another example that .co is doing the job for startups.
Is it doing the job better than other extensions? Do you have any data to share that shows .co is the clear frontrunner?

•••
It will always be .com.

.co.uk / .de / .fr / .cn and other popular geo extensions will be equally as trusted.

.org for non-profits will be equally as trusted.

.net has been around forever and should probably be up there but I'd place it slightly lower. Just like with .co, people must wonder "if this is such a trusted company/website - why couldn't they get the top-level domain extension?"

.biz has been around just as long but still seems sketchy - I suppose because you don't call a business a bizness.

.co is technically Columbia's ccTLD but they're making too much money to care and tell customers to register .com.co for Columbian businesses. Also, I've always thought it was perfect for those with ill-intent hoping for visits from popular.com's to their .co's or even private emails that missed out the "m" at the end of .com by mistake. Although this article disagrees that .co domains are worthless (and they have some really great graphs):

https://growthbadger.com/top-level-domains/

TLD-trust-ratings-and-memorability.jpg

This comment sums up my thoughts:

"It’s hilarious to me that people trust .co – a country code top-level domain for Colombia – more than they do .org – a generic top-level domain used by Wikipedia, non-profits, and other orgs."

•••
Depends I think on whether one word or two and if already taken for some time in net org.
Geo targeting would be aim.

•••
.co was popular because .com typo? :) dont get offended guys.

My next guess that will be popular is .tv but it needs help from companies who create browsers, and companies who create devices likes Roku, and Search Engines where they should detect or promote only that it is real TV (schedule shows etc) not just "coming soon" HTML or even "domain for sale". Once there are 50 broadcasters using this .tv domain properly and get promoted then .tv will be rocketing popular.

•••
•••
...If it's something you are developing, definitely. If you are doing it for investment, you may or may not do it, depending on the domain name...

Precisely the implication of what I meant when I said for a site to matter to me. IE something ai am developing. Sorry if that wasnt more clear. :xf.smile:

As for investment purposes the only real ccTLD I care about is .io because it's so popular with tech startups and tech is the industry I come from. I would not necessarily be opposed to a .co though if it were really good but it's not something I personally actively look for.

•••
•••
•••
.co for me.

.org is limited.
.io is limited.

•••
I think .co.
As most of the start up comps is not only software firms which may use .io extension
Just my opinion
Thanks
DpakH

•••
To me .com .net .xyz then .org

•••
.Best will eventually catch on.
Lame extensions .io .gg and all the other trendy extensions that only domainer's like.

•••
.DE has been the best for me
The residency requirements hurt .DE but since there is so many people in that region I think it's the 4th most popular extension. But, for people in USA it will never be used. However, on the plus side .de is 100X more popular in DE then .us

•••
After .COM and .ORG? .Net

Last edited:
•••
ICU is happening right now in real time

and not just over promotion, either

big factor is renewal rates :

fun top ANYTHING

less than com

the com bubble implosion will be a rolling implosion and even if it imploded by half

com will STILL be KING - too many investors to let great names go begging

online will be the com challenger, in the distant future, unless us or usa

tv will be the next bubble

•••
I see that domainers usually comment based on their portfolio i.e if they invested in .io they try to push .io and so on. This thread is not going to change the way things are going.
Byte.co was released this week and it's another example that .co is doing the job for startups.

•••
I'm not a data guy maybe you should ask @Bob Hawkes :) All my comments are based on what I see trending.

Byte was on the top list within the first 24 hours of it's launch and that's not just because of the .co of course.

•••
I'm not a data guy maybe you should ask @Bob Hawkes :) All my comments are based on what I see trending.

Byte was on the top list within the first 24 hours of it's launch and that's not just because of the .co of course.
Bob actually did a great blog post recently on sales volume of various extensions. You should check it out.

•••
In my opinion,

.com, net, org, io, (and other ccTLDs)

•••
It will always be .com.

.co.uk / .de / .fr / .cn and other popular geo extensions will be equally as trusted.

.org for non-profits will be equally as trusted.

.net has been around forever and should probably be up there but I'd place it slightly lower. Just like with .co, people must wonder "if this is such a trusted company/website - why couldn't they get the top-level domain extension?"

.biz has been around just as long but still seems sketchy - I suppose because you don't call a business a bizness.

.co is technically Columbia's ccTLD but they're making too much money to care and tell customers to register .com.co for Columbian businesses. Also, I've always thought it was perfect for those with ill-intent hoping for visits from popular.com's to their .co's or even private emails that missed out the "m" at the end of .com by mistake. Although this article disagrees that .co domains are worthless (and they have some really great graphs):

https://growthbadger.com/top-level-domains/

TLD-trust-ratings-and-memorability.jpg

This comment sums up my thoughts:

"It’s hilarious to me that people trust .co – a country code top-level domain for Colombia – more than they do .org – a generic top-level domain used by Wikipedia, non-profits, and other orgs."

Great research, but there are some design flaws in it. Part of low trust (even .com had only 3.5) could have been that people were also sharing their trust perception about "mattressrankings" as a brand.

And, of course, the demographics with 2/3 of 1500 people being 26-40 is strange. And we don't know if there was also some selection bias. Maybe, they offered the survey to 6000, only 1500 agreed, but those who agreed and even offered might have been part of the shared affinity and not represent the general population.

•••
Great research, but there are some design flaws in it. Part of low trust (even .com had only 3.5) could have been that people were also sharing their trust perception about "mattressrankings" as a brand.

And, of course, the demographics with 2/3 of 1500 people being 26-40 is strange. And we don't know if there was also some selection bias. Maybe, they offered the survey to 6000, only 1500 agreed, but those who agreed and even offered might have been part of the shared affinity and not represent the general population.

Yeah you're right and I'd be incredibly interested in. The difference between 13-21 year olds and those over 25 as the younger generation have always had a large number of extensions so it may be more normal for them.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back