IT.COM

registries What about a spamming registry?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

vivaldi

Nothing personalTop Member
Impact
"Have seen many worried members of the domaining community around the world that have been a bit worried about potential spam through new cheap gTLD’s. Myself have so far received no spam at all from new gTLD’s..."

"However I was stunned the other day when the .top registry started to spam my inbox. It all started when I registered one .top."

Read more at Domaining.world

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think it's Chinese spammers harvesting the whois, based on lists of newly registered domains.
What makes you think it's the registry ?

•••
I think it's Chinese spammers harvesting the whois, based on lists of newly registered domains.
What makes you think it's the registry ?

Because they offer registry reserved names and one of them are actually promoting the extension itself. Also to add, never ever got this much targeted spam regardless of extension regged.

•••
Interesting post @vivaldi! Although I have yet to receive any spam from gTLD's, I do believe some of them are trying different marketing stunts like this one you posted to increase their registrations....I think it was xyz doing free domains or $1 domains or something at one time too?

From what I have personally seen, not much through the inbox, but lots of different things using other methods. I'll have to keep your story in mind when I start dipping into more gTLDs!

•••
Interesting post @vivaldi! Although I have yet to receive any spam from gTLD's, I do believe some of them are trying different marketing stunts like this one you posted to increase their registrations....I think it was xyz doing free domains or $1 domains or something at one time too?

From what I have personally seen, not much through the inbox, but lots of different things using other methods. I'll have to keep your story in mind when I start dipping into more gTLDs!

If I remember it right .xyz gave away around 500k (?) domains for free and the rest have been sold for a few bucks, a lot now of them are being sold at Asian registrars for $0.99 if the translator did it's job right.

•••
This is still going on and I get offered to buy names such as youtube.top, bose.top and so on....... They even leave phone numbers, is there a yellow pages for China?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back