Dynadot

question web.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
for some reason, I just whois web.com, it created at 1996, quite confusion, as I saw some name like *****web.com created at 1994...does anyone know web.com?may be it was reserved at beginning until 1996?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
When you look at a.com, you see it's been reserved since 1993. I think for web.com it's more likely someone just dropped it. Remember back in those days not everyone knew the value of domains .. and more importantly they were quite a bit more expensive ($100 / 2 years I think).

Good question though, you'd expect it to have been taken in the first few years in the late 80's .. 1996 is an eternity later in terms domain age.

I thikn in the early days the system wasn't really about "reserved" names (although at one point that did happen, as is the case with ungrandfathered 1 and 2-letter .com's .. but more that I think your domain needed to be relevant to what you were doing?

Kinda curious about those early days now .. might be worth a trip to wikipedia! lol

ADDED: Seems until 1995, domains were actually free. Which would explain why I thought you needed a relevant name. I think it was the American based National Science Foundation that administered domain applications. I know you couldn't register things like swear words until at least after Network Solutions took over (when the price of a domain went from free to $100 / 2 years). So while it's possible the NSF reserved Web.com .. it's also possible there were no justified registrants ... or .. as I said .. someone simply dropped it. (I'm not sure if you were even allowed to transfer ownership of domains prior to the mid 90's)

Last edited:
•••
thanks @Ategy.com , u are so nice to answer those...glad to learn(y)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back