Dynadot

Web 5.0 Discussion Thread.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Pusang Gala

NoyPi DomainerTop Member
Impact
So, just saw this on twitter. Feel free to drop your opinions.

Screenshot_20220611_033148.jpg

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Reckon the people that bought them are ready to buy web5 ones now?
I would be focusing on Web5 development and domains in the finance area. Cash, money, credit, billing etc.

•••
Web3... Only 30 sales on namebio. Not many recent ones either. So we're basically just pretending it's a trend at this point.

Show attachment 217743
Yeah, there is a big difference between companies in the "Web 3" field and those using "Web 3" in their domains.

It if becomes popular, it then becomes redundant to use as a term.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
It's a buzz word for an important niche.
I would replace the word important with "non-existent".

It is an idea at this point. It if pans out, who knows.

If people want to buy domains in the field, be my guest, but it would be a good thing to look at other "trend" threads and how much money was wasted in them be if 3D, drones, weed, AI, crypto, web3, etc.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I would replace the word important with "non-existent".

It is an idea at this point. It if pans out, who knows.

If people want to buy domains in the field, be my guest, but it would be a good thing to look at other "trend" threads and how much money was wasted in them be if 3D, drones, weed, AI, crypto, web3, etc.

Brad
VR,
.mobi,
PWAs,
Libra,
Bitcoin,
.app,
Litecoin,
Meta,
.Xyz,
Stadia,
AR

•••
VR,
.mobi,
PWAs,
Libra,
Bitcoin,
.app,
Litecoin,
Meta,
.Xyz,
Stadia,
AR
Every trend field generally has a limited amount of domains that are worthwhile. Many of those ones have been registered for a long time though when the trend actually starts to become popular.

Then what happens is domainers jump on board and start to register every random domain, which are mostly scraps. The 3D thread is probably the best example of this.

How many 3D domains have sold after more than a decade? There were thousands and thousands posted in that thread.

As popular as Web3 is, there have only been 30 "Web3" reported domain sales for $34,900 total. That is nothing. Imagine how much money registries and registrars have collected on these registrations...

Brad

Last edited:
•••
If Jack Dorsey or Elon Musk say to jump from a cliff, will you follow his advice?

•••
I agree with what has already been said by @bmugford and others. The number of web5 domains listed on DAN has already risen to 3,532 in a short period of time. This should be more than enough for mankind. Most of these domains will remain for sale forever and eventually expire. Be very careful folks, especially newbies in our wonderful profession.

1655236662925.png

•••
If Jack Dorsey or Elon Musk say to jump from a cliff, will you follow his advice?
I am still waiting for Jack Dorsey to build a company that actually turns a profit.

Sure, he has done well for himself but both Twitter and Square (Block) have an all time negative net income.

That means both of his major companies have lost more money than they have made, yet he is still a billionaire.

He is good at making money for himself, not others. Facts.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
So you think every sold domains is being reported on namebio. If ur stats is base on namebio data alone.. Then i understand your point. I have sold lots of names and for once i didnt submit on namebio likewise some domainers too. You are entitled to your opinion mate
Obviously a large percent of all domains sales are not reported, likely a solid majority.
That would be true equally across the board.

The NameBio data is basically a sample size.

With that said though, low reported sales = low overall sales.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I agree with what has already been said by @bmugford and others. The number of web5 domains listed on DAN has already risen to 3,532 in a short period of time. This should be more than enough for mankind. Most of these domains will remain for sale forever and eventually expire. Be very careful folks, especially newbies in our wonderful profession.

Show attachment 217746
"Web3" has 14,022 listed on Dan.com, and (30) total reported sales.

For reference purposes let's look at random terms on Dan.com -

"Wedding" has 15,559 listings. "Wedding" has 1,224 reported sales on NameBio.

"Real Estate" has 19,016 listings. "Real Estate" has 1,562 reported sales on NameBio.

You can see the difference there. Most of these type of registrations are donations to the registry/registrar.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
web5pilot
web5rock
web5blue
web5bird

all coms

•••
Web3... Only 30 sales on namebio. Not many recent ones either. So we're basically just pretending it's a trend at this point.

Show attachment 217743
I sold web3games.kingers in 5 figures and not reported.... Web5 is a great niche ! Like every niche only a good keyword sells..

•••
I am still waiting for Jack Dorsey to build a company that actually turns a profit.

Sure, he has done well for himself but both Twitter and Square (Block) have an all time negative net income.

That means both of his major companies have lost more money than they have made, yet he is still a billionaire.

He is good at making money for himself, not others. Facts.

Brad
Agreed. He's not exactly a visionary

•••
Yeah, there is a big difference between companies in the "Web 3" field and those using "Web 3" in their domains.

It if becomes popular, it then becomes redundant to use as a term.

Brad
Why does that has to be so for web5 domains, but not for metaverse domains??

We had that discussion over in the metaverse thread, what keywords are better
(metaverse-, meta-, mv-).

As we all know, best prices were made with the full word (metaversegroup.com for ex).

So, why should that be different with web5 domains??

I don't see that.

As for sold web3 domains: Yeah, there is no need to use web3, as there is already metaverse as bigger buzz word.

Web5 however, is a keyword for its own niche.

That's the difference.

•••
As for sold web3 domains: Yeah, there is no need to use web3, as there is already metaverse as bigger buzz word.

Web5 however, is a keyword for its own niche.

That's the difference.
The vast majority of domain trends end the same way -

1.) There is some news.
2.) Domainers, but mainly noobs register a bunch of low quality domains.
3.) It is hyped up as the greatest thing ever.
4.) Very few sales are made.
5.) People move on to the next trend.

I will look forward to all the big Web5 sales. I won't be holding my breath though.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
The owner of web4.com be like:

Yeah, once the web3 moves to the next one, that is my payday. Get paid 7-8 figures and retire...

Dorsey: people, we now announce web5...

•••
The owner of web4.com be like:

Yeah, once the web3 moves to the next one, that is my payday. Get paid 7-8 figures and retire...

Dorsey: people, we now announce web5...

You got to feel bad for them. :(

Brad

•••
web5Paying.com
Web5Paying.xyz
Web5btcwallet.com
web5bitcoinwallet.com

•••
The vast majority of domain trends end the same way -

1.) There is some news.
2.) Domainers, but mainly noobs register a bunch of low quality domains.
3.) It is hyped up as the greatest thing ever.
4.) Very few sales are made.
5.) People move on to the next trend.

I will look forward to all the big Web5 sales. I won't be holding my breath though.

Brad
Truth is, that you do not argue based on content.

You solely argue: 1) hype 2) buzz-word 3) sell out

How many industries out there were born out of hype??

But: It' s not just hype.

There is a fundamental difference between web3 and web5:

Web3 covers ALL coins, alt-coins, shit-coins, AND btc.

Web5 only covers bitcoin.

I think I have explained, why btc is the only real decentralized crypto out there.

This is why it makes so much sense to use btc for a decentralized network.
And not doge coin.

If the other coins would a) work like btc - Proof of Work instead Proof of Stake - and b) would have the same big audience, they may would be as dec'd as btc, but they are clearly not.

It does not matter what we say here in a domain forum!

We know sh#t about the tech behind it; I just informed myself with various different ressources.

If there is some content /real tech argument you can bring here, I think it's appreciated.

However, just saying it's "stupid hype" is not enough, sorry.

Cheers

Last edited:
•••
Web3 covers ALL coins, alt-coins, shit-coins, AND btc.

Web5 only covers bitcoin.
So just covering one blockchain is revolutionary but covering all is old hat?

•••
So just covering one blockchain is revolutionary but covering all is old hat?
Yep.

You have first to try & practice, before you can know for sure.

Alt-coins have been proved on how "better" or more innovative they are compared to btc,
but they always lacked when it comes to decentralization.

Having a coin that is fast in transfer, green in production, cheap in commission sacrifices the most important point:
decentralization.

Not saying there is no market for eth/sol etc.
There sincerely is, for ex. when it comes to NFTs aso.

But if you want it to be 100% decentralized, nowadays there is only btc.
(maybe coins like monero could immitate it, but I am sceptical).

Last edited:
•••
Yep.

You have first to try & practice, before you can know for sure.

Alt-coins have been proved on how "better" or more innovative they are compared to btc,
but they always lacked when it comes to decentralization.

Having a coin that is fast in transfer, green in production, cheap in commission sacrifices the most important point:
decentralization.

Not saying there is no market for eth/sol etc.
There sincerely is, for ex. when it comes to NFTs aso.

But if you want it to be 100% decentralized, nowadays there is only btc.
(maybe coins like monero could immitate it, but I am sceptical).
People could just store their data on whatever medium they choose like with SOLID pods...

•••
People could just store their data on whatever medium they choose like with SOLID pods...
Nope.
It's how to work together (find a common base), so users can easily signup / login to web5 websites.

And this is the infrastructure that is being delivered here.

Platforms will not know your user credentials; user based advertising won't be possible then any more,
same goes for tracking, gathering infos etc. about one particular person.

As these 'DID nodes/keys' are binned ontop of the btc blockchain, faking/compromisation is not possible either.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back