IT.COM

We are the idiots ...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Are you going to develop some of your domains?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Definitely plan to develop my domains

votes
    32.2%
  • Perhaps develop some of my domains

votes
    26.0%
  • Might try to develop one domain to see how it goes

votes
    12.3%
  • No, just after selling my domains

votes
    22.6%
  • Why work when domaining is so easy and it will make me a millionaire within the year

votes
    6.8%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

That's right 'we are the idiots'.

Why is it that the vast majority of us do not develop our domains into websites.

- Is it cost?
- Is it time?
- Is it lack of knowledge on the domain subject?
- Is it not knowing where to start building a website?
- Or is it because of laziness and just after a quick buck by reselling the domain name without doing any work?

Of course there is another option that should be added to the list, or is it because we do not think our domain names are not as good as we try to convince others that they are and 'they' should develop them into a website?

Of course we all know that a developed website with visitors is worth far more from affiliate income or even the sale of the website than just the domain name by itself that might be able to be turned into such, but very few domainers actually go on to develop websites on their domain.

Even if you cannot develop a website yourself through lack of knowledge on the subject (which can be learned anyway), or lack the ability to build a website (there are loads of programs to help you on the web), then you can hire people to do it for you from website designers to content writers they are all available for hire.

Come on be honest. Why do you not develop the domains you own?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I tried developing some of my domains into small websites. I don't have the skills really. I find it tedious to write articles even spinning existing ones. I don't want to put a lot of money into developing sites only to find they still don't sell. It puts the risk/reward up. If there was automatic software that builds up a website with new content etc at low cost then maybe I would do it.

•••
I got interested in domaining for the purpose of buying better names to develop, made a few sales and dove in a bit deeper. Building sites is still my main thing. There's no option for "already am", so I picked "def. plan to" because I have some that I do plan to develop in addition to the ones I already have/am :)

You can take a handreg name that's barely worth renewing, put a website on it that earns $3 per day, now all of a sudden you can flip it for $3k.

•••
Have one under development.........coming to the internet soon :xf.smile:

wales-twitter.png

and no it is NOT DiscoverWales.com / net / org etc etc etc

Last edited:
•••
I tried developing some of my domains into small websites. I don't have the skills really. I find it tedious to write articles even spinning existing ones. I don't want to put a lot of money into developing sites only to find they still don't sell. It puts the risk/reward up. If there was automatic software that builds up a website with new content etc at low cost then maybe I would do it.

There are some companies who offer to build relatively targeted sites for you at relatively cheap cost - but beware, often the sites developed can have nothing to do with the domain name. (This is from previous personal experience. :xf.wink: )

I got interested in domaining for the purpose of buying better names to develop, made a few sales and dove in a bit deeper. Building sites is still my main thing. There's no option for "already am", so I picked "def. plan to" because I have some that I do plan to develop in addition to the ones I already have/am :)

You can take a handreg name that's barely worth renewing, put a website on it that earns $3 per day, now all of a sudden you can flip it for $3k.

I think your post demonstrates that we generally as domainers are letting our goods be sold (if sold at all) at very much under what with a little work or investment they should be sold for.

•••

Would that be the domain hack by any chance? If so well done, and also well done if not the domain hack. LOL

•••
I've developed hundreds domains.
You can develop how many domains you want, but without SEO, they will make the same traffic as parking.
My last 10 projects, due to lack time, I've not work on SEO, those domains make 2/3 unique per day.
Don't forget the niche, if you'll develop a site in competitive niche like insurance, travel, crypto, .... , you need $XXXX every month in order to try to compete with other sites.
Don't forget the google sandbox. If a domain has been parked for years and then moved to development, 99% will be placed in the sandbox.
This sandbox can last for 3, 6, 12 months.
Maybe forever.
Develop domains could be easy, have organic traffic is very difficult in 2020.
Last but not the least, Google is releasing update on weekly basis, your domain can perform good this week, the next week will be tanked.
I had read crazy stories, 15 yo white hat sites completely tanked, XXX people have lost his job due the update and many many horror stories.
My 2 cents: do not develop any domains if you don't know what you are doing.

•••
@mpls - Strange you do not mention the use of social media? A social media link that is clicked will garner visitors, today that is perhaps more important than anything. :xf.wink:

•••
That is it - You need a good looking site, great content, social media posts & engagement, plus high quality backlinks

Do this and you should be on the right track.....

It has taken me a lot of reading to understand what needs to be done and why - now it is a case of putting it all together

I like Neil Patel's blog, Sprout Social and Hubspot blogs - worth checking them out, loads of good tips, practical advice and actionable steps for newbies (like myself!)

•••
I am not agree with you to develop domains to not sell them cheap. If you want to develop a domain then it won't be by domain itself. You need to have passion for what works you do. You need to be motivated for that startup idea an so many works may make you so bored. But I agree that if you could build a brand or an idea for a domain could be great for selling it more expensive and it may need more time to appears in minds. Advertising is so important to sell a domain at good price

Last edited:
•••
I have some domains put aside for my own projects, some already well documented (serveral page long design drafts) and I'll get to that when time allows, but I definitely don't develop domains just to boost their value and flip them.

Last edited:
•••
@mpls - Strange you do not mention the use of social media? A social media link that is clicked will garner visitors, today that is perhaps more important than anything. :xf.wink:

Yes, I am 100% agree with you!
Socials are a great traffic source.

•••
Several domainers have tried to develop websites and failed miserably, lost money and never sold the sites.

This is not new and in 2020 it's a lot more competitive Google is 1000 times smarter today than it was 10 years ago. Spinning articles not going to work. Negative SEO tactics by established players to zonk your website.

You need to make it your focus and really know what you are doing, and have some cash behind you because it won't be cheap to have anything developed that's worthwhile.

I am on the net 16 to 20 hours a day and spend 0 time on little, poorly developed websites. You need to learn SEO and keep up with it, social media you better have a following of real followers.

Unless you have above average knowledge/expertise on a topic what's the point?

The other thing you do is check out any topic you think you know and how much effort you are willing to put in, then go check out the top sites out there in that niche and see if you can match it, because if you can't, you are wasting your time.

People want to sell stuff, they think tshirts for example:

Oh I got really cool sayings, I am a wordsmith, snarky, funny, My friends tell me I'm really smart.

Cool story bro, there are thousands of people just like you with already established tshirt websites, so you better be prepared to be working night and day, hitting on SEO, social, spending money on advertising, because if not, again you are wasting your time.

Featue snippets and other Google tools have taken businesses away I remember the guy from CelebrityNetWorth how Google took away a big part of their revenue.

You want to start a website, read this article first, https://theoutline.com/post/1399/how-google-ate-celebritynetworth-com?zd=4&zi=hntnwhwu

Half assed development worked in 2006 not in 2020. So you better be looking to start a whole new business and have the skills and resources that go with doing that in the proper way.

Traffic doesn’t just “show up” at your website
Alas, in the business of websites and online marketing, traffic does not just simply “show up” at your website.

Dreams and Hope do not drive traffic. The digital landscape is littered with hundreds of thousands (millions, really) of well-intentioned websites that are ghost-towns. No one goes to them. At all. Sad.

Sadder still is the business who has gone through an amazing website rebuild, only to discover that after the excitement of day 1 of the website launch, there isn’t really any more traffic coming to their website than there was last week.

https://www.cmo4hire.com/blog/if-you-build-it-they-wont-come/

So make sure you do a lot of reading first.

Best of luck

•••
Several domainers have tried to develop websites and failed miserably, lost money and never sold the sites.

This is not new and in 2020 it's a lot more competitive Google is 1000 times smarter today than it was 10 years ago. Spinning articles not going to work. Negative SEO tactics by established players to zonk your website.

You need to make it your focus and really know what you are doing, and have some cash behind you because it won't be cheap to have anything developed that's worthwhile.

I am on the net 16 to 20 hours a day and spend 0 time on little, poorly developed websites. You need to learn SEO and keep up with it, social media you better have a following of real followers.

Unless you have above average knowledge/expertise on a topic what's the point?

The other thing you do is check out any topic you think you know and how much effort you are willing to put in, then go check out the top sites out there in that niche and see if you can match it, because if you can't, you are wasting your time.

People want to sell stuff, they think tshirts for example:

Oh I got really cool sayings, I am a wordsmith, snarky, funny, My friends tell me I'm really smart.

Cool story bro, there are thousands of people just like you with already established tshirt websites, so you better be prepared to be working night and day, hitting on SEO, social, spending money on advertising, because if not, again you are wasting your time.

Featue snippets and other Google tools have taken businesses away I remember the guy from CelebrityNetWorth how Google took away a big part of their revenue.

You want to start a website, read this article first, https://theoutline.com/post/1399/how-google-ate-celebritynetworth-com?zd=4&zi=hntnwhwu

Half assed development worked in 2006 not in 2020. So you better be looking to start a whole new business and have the skills and resources that go with doing that in the proper way.

Traffic doesn’t just “show up” at your website
Alas, in the business of websites and online marketing, traffic does not just simply “show up” at your website.

Dreams and Hope do not drive traffic. The digital landscape is littered with hundreds of thousands (millions, really) of well-intentioned websites that are ghost-towns. No one goes to them. At all. Sad.

Sadder still is the business who has gone through an amazing website rebuild, only to discover that after the excitement of day 1 of the website launch, there isn’t really any more traffic coming to their website than there was last week.

https://www.cmo4hire.com/blog/if-you-build-it-they-wont-come/

So make sure you do a lot of reading first.

Best of luck

Great post thanks!
100% agree with you.

•••

Show attachment 155311

How do you get to Wales in a Mini?

One in the front and one in the back of course. Lol

Good luck with your new venture.

•••
@equity78 - Personally I am not actually bothered about SEO beyond the very basics of such, for a start the algorithms used by the likes of Goole can and do change without any warning. Besides which I remember reading somewhere, can't remember where offhand, that of all the computer related experts there are supposed to be in the world the largest number by far were 'SEO experts'! LOL

The reality is that social marketing is actually more important than SEO, more people click a link than go on searches these days, it is all about viral marketing.

One of the domain names in my signature I can hire writers for that produce excellent content and also get referenced in their social media to the article for as little as $20 - $50. So just 5 articles a month costs a maximum of $250, from that it is likely I will attract over 1,000 visitors in the first month and growing to circa. 10,000 per month by the end of the year, and these are direct visitors. These direct visitors will then themselves make comments both on the site and in social media that will garner further visitors. Then if the new content remains fresh, appropriate, and interesting the sky is the limit.

Those visitors do not only increase the value of the site but will likely produce substantial affiliate income at the same time.

Last edited:
•••
Come on be honest. Why do you not develop the domains you own?

for me the reason is simple:

developing is a different business than domaining

if you feel you are domainer
you may not be a developer

"plan B is for losers" -
"it's hard enough to be successful in 1 business, so don't distract yourself"
-Harv Eker

•••
@frank-germany - Strange, I can both walk and run. Am I the fastest walker or runner, no, but then again I do not try to be, my aim is just to be able to be proficient at both for my needs. :xf.wink:

•••
for me the reason is simple:

developing is a different business than domaining

if you feel you are domainer
you may not be a developer

"plan B is for losers" -
"it's hard enough to be successful in 1 business, so don't distract yourself"
-Harv Eker
If you can make money from a website then some of that can invested into better domains......

"Best of both worlds"

•••
Unless you have a really solid plan and knowledge, development can just be a potential money and time sinkhole.

Most domain investors own many domains, so it is just not practical.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Developing a website requires lots of skills, money and time. Selling domain only require you a good landing page and five minutes to list your domain on every marketplace.

Google become a lot smarter and its algorithm keeps changing every month. Google recent core update has sent many websites traffic & revenue near zero. People had worked very hard and given their everything but a single algorithm change ruined all their work. If you can take that risk then you are welcome in website developing world. There are tons of tools that help you to find a profitable niche with very low to high competition there are people who can write good article/post on a niche, there are people who can build good backlinks for your website.

Developing has many pros and cons and require patience and hardworking.

Domaining has good potential & only patience

•••
If you start in my sig I have a dozen or so sites developed with all of the top rated seo scripts.
I have many more non seo related.

Last edited:
•••
I just hired a professional journalist to write 30 articles for my newest site. It is expensive, but in the long run it will help legitimize the site, give it a professional appeal that would take me months to accomplish on my own. And no, please do not inundate me with five dollar article offers. That is the exact opposite of what I am talking about. The articles are in depth profiles of local businesses, written by a professional journalist that is vested in the region, and designed to answer 'the why' question, why they do what they do and why it matters to them and to the reader. The site is based upon a county in Indiana. Once this site is 'live' I expect very real traffic to the site, especially as I refresh the site daily with picture contests, monthly coupon lists for all businesses, service directories, church profiles, recreational facilities, links for local theaters, etc. I will be promoting the site offline, as well as online, with ad cards for the site in our tourism office, campgrounds and State Park. The ad cards will be professionally designed, high end. The tag line for the site makes sense for the community it defines. My point is, there is a lot of thought and work that goes into developing a site, not just throwing up a thousand affiliate links and mumbo jumbo scraped and modified from some other guy's developed site.

Unless you have a killer portfolio that allows you to maintain a standard of living that you are comfortable with - something that very few of us actually have - at some point you have to just decide to vest yourself into a site, and put time in it. It better be something you are interested in, or it is going to be hard to get excited and maintain that level of activity over a period of months or years.

•••
If you need a Journo @CraigD just ask for his credentials.

•••
Developing websites is not that simple. Can it work for some, definitely. Will it work for all absolutely not. There is no right or wrong answer here, only us it right for you. That said I do build some sites but that's my background before coming to domaining so I feel quite comfortable with the technical aspects of it, and while my writing skills aren't all that (even a post on namepros I end up editing several times after posting to reorder or clarify thoughts or to fix typos) purchasing content is easy. I suspect its easier for me to handle the technical stuff and buy content than it would be for a non technical writer to pay for the tech work and just write. It will depend alot on your skills and how you can address any areas where you lack skill though partnerships or buying help. Like alot of things posted on here there is no one right or wrong answer even if some people act like their answer is the only definitive way to domain...im sorry but no business works like that.

•••
Back