IT.COM

discuss Waybackmachine archive down?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

alcy

Top Member
Impact
this literally started 24 hours ago.. I am since unable to check history on ANY domains that are NOT currently registered. it gives the robot.txt error for them.

all currently registered ones, show their archived history well.

anyone knows if this is some temp glitch? have not been using the site for long, so I don't know if this happens from time to time.

thanks!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I just checked and get the same message as you. This is a huge problem in checking the domain history, which is what archive.org is trying to document.

•••
thanks for checking

well.. I've only been using it for about a week.. so I am not sure if its some temp glitch. that comes now and then. works fine to check background of currently registered sites.. but not ones that are available for registration.

there are many other sites for checking domain age which rely exclusively on this archive.. and are down now too.

the only other one I know which currently works independent of the WBM is domaintools whois, but it is $50/month..

but if anyone knows of alternatives to wbm and domaintools... well I'd love to hear.

I'm just interested in the creation age of some domains I research.. I don't need fancy stuff that comes with it like number of saves or how many different ips, or hosts etc..

cheers.

•••
•••
well then stranger.. thanks a lot for putting an end to a 2 hour long search going through coutnless links.. not a single one giving me just a silly little 4 digit domain creation year... til your came along.

cheers

•••
hmmmm.. still not working..

isn't it like big bad news for domaining community if waybackmachine does not let people checkup domain background, unless they are presently registered? or do 99% of people who use it go there to get background of currently registered domains?

as far as I know every other web agecheck tool gets info from wbm.. except for domaintools and hosters mentioned earlier in this thread.

•••
well.. for those interesed, it seems to work now. but requires you press refresh or resubmit domain an average of I'd say 5 times.. before it shows you stats for it.. versus the robot/not found msg.

I guess it's a huge database.. with tons of queries per minute/hour.. so I'm thinking its understandable. annoying as may be too.

happy domaining all.

•••
They recently did an update changing their software and now they are having problems. I hope they fix this damn thing soon. This sucks. Sure there are other sites out there that are similar but I like (liked) their site best for it's purpose.

Upgrade/Update = SUX

•••
yes.. my firend recently bought some streaming youtube device for his tv, and he pulls hair out each time they update sofrware on it. last time his backspace stopped working. so imagine typing in with yoru remote what you wanna watch on youtube and not being able to go back.

well.. if you feel like sharing some of those sites you mention that do not rely on wbm, I'd be real glad.

I know seo agechecker site relies on wbm... and goes kaput each time wbm is not feeding it.

someone gave me hosterstats dotcom recently.. works good... no reliance on wbm... limit 100 queries a day

tnx

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back