Dynadot

Watch out! A New Kind of Domain Name Fraud

NameSilo
Watch

DN.com

VIP Member
DN.com Staff
Impact
With the booming of domain name economy, there is a growing tendency of cybercrime aiming at domain investors. In additional to the notorious domain name stealing, a new kind of fraud in domain name transactions is now going on somewhere in the world. Some of the investors have already been duped and suffered the loss.

Here we have a story of Mr. F., one of the unfortunate victims of such fraud just a few days ago. Mr. F is a frequenter of domain name forums. He met one guy peddling domain names in some online domain forum the other day, and showed his interests in one of the domains. The price of the domain name was below the market average price and Mr. F thought that he had got a good bargain. But the seller told him the domain name was registered at a small registrar and cannot be transferred out at present because of the 60-day lock, so they would have to transfer the domain name via PUSH. Mr. F registered an account at the website the seller sent him. The website was simple and rough but as the seller was pressing him, Mr. F did not check the website carefully. Mr. F paid the transaction via an escrow website. In a few minutes the domain name was shown in Mr. F’s account. Mr. F even contacted the customer service of the registrar via instant message to change the registrant’s contact information. After the first deal was done, the seller offered another similar domain name with a good price. Very satisfied with the first deal, Mr. F did not hesitate to accept the offer. This time the seller asked him to make the deal directly through Alipay (the most popular instant online payment service provider in China) for it could be faster and cheaper. Mr. F sent the funds without a second thought and the domain name was transferred successfully into his account soon. The two transactions were both completed in less than half an hour.

Everything looked nice till that time. However, when Mr. F came back to check the newly bought domain names a few hours later, he found the website cannot be opened any more. He searched the information of the website and found the so-called registrar’s domain name was just registered that morning! And the two domain names were not relative to the website at all. They were registered at another registrar and the real registrant had no idea about what had happened. Mr. F immediately called the customer service of the escrow website and froze the funds in the escrow transaction. However the money paid via Alipay could not be retrieved any more.

Actually this kind of fraud is not that new. I have come across such fraud website myself one year ago. It was a website of domain name broke service. One of my clients asked me whether the website was reliable. I searched the information about the domain of the website and found the domain was just registered a few days ago, but the website said it had already made hundreds of deals.

I feel pity for Mr. F in the story. In fact it is not hard to debunk such fraud if you are cautious enough. There are several lessons we can learn from this story.

First, keep cautious about the trading partners if they are strangers. If you have met one on a forum, it is advisable to check the time his account was registered and how many posts has he ever made. If the account is very new and links to no posts, then you shall watch out!

Second, do not be penny-wise but pound-foolish. Be extremely careful about offers with abnormally cheap price. Double check the information of the website, the domain name and the seller when the seller attempts to hasten the deal.

Third, escrow service is essential in transactions with unfamiliar trading partners. Mr. F lost the money he sent through instant pay, but retrieved the funds in the escrow transaction. If you use DN.com in the transaction, we will have the seller to verify his identity, check the domain whois and compare the information with the seller’s. This kind of scam is not likely to have its way.

Have you ever met any scam or fraud in your investment experience? How did you debunk the cheater or solve your problem at last? Anyone like to share his or her experience? Maybe we can learn from each others’ experience and reduce the chance to be taken in.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Very informative. Thanks.

•••
Thanks a ton for bringing this to attention. I am sure its of great value to the forum. Couple of things you can look for

Register a domain business entity.
  • Its not that expensive. It gives everyone confidence to deal with a aged registered business. You can look up the company from the country's directory
  • I like to deal with registered businesses. One has to give full proof, identity and contact details to set-up a company. Easy to track them or sue in case of mishaps.
  • I registered mine. End-users like to deal with me. Also it adds a layer of fear for a scamster to deal with a business rather than dupe an individual.
Escrow
  • As u see escrow and similar payment options can help you retrieve lost funds. Prefer to avoid instant payments, where funds cant be retrieved back.
Established registrars
Work with domains in established registrars, who are publicly advertised and carry a reputation. Popular ones. But if the new registrar is a fraud then its going to be pretty tough.

CHECK WHOIS:
  • Who is records show the registrar, sometimes the number of domains associated with the registrar
  • Check the contact details of the person, email and phone.
  • Try making a phone-call and speaking on phone. Its usually hard to get fake phone numbers and you can track with telecom company if real need arises.
Just a few points i look out for. Feel free to add suggestions.

•••
Thank you for sharing useful info.

Love is blind....sorry...cheap price makes us blind.

•••
There are few people in this Community aho are doing these kind of frauds :) ...I think i know the person who cheated him ......They send same message to everyone.

•••
There are few people in this Community aho are doing these kind of frauds :) ...I think i know the person who cheated him ......They send same message to everyone.

May be tip off the forum moderators and may be they can keep an eye out and look into them. Would be nice to keep this community clean

•••
Common scam tactics... don't skip the escrow part, unless you trust the seller... that is what escrow is for, to make sure both parties play nice, especially the seller.

•••
•••
•••
If the offer is too good to be true, then usually it is a scam.

•••
Sometimes i receive messages on my mail with very high offer from the same one-day "investors"

•••
Thanks for this information! I'm fairly new at this and already received a couple of fraud emails with offers. Definitely will be on guard for stuff like this and will implement your tips!

•••
That's such a horrible story. I agreed a deal with someone today and this is what they came back with.....

"Great. I don't have a GoDaddy account so it would have to be transferred to a different registrar.

Paypal would be the easiest. Here is what I propose:

Step 1: Prove that you have control of the domain by creating a DNS TXT record with my name (or anything really, since no current TXT records exist on the domain).
Step 2: I'll send you half the payment via Paypal ($XXX USD)
Step 3: You Unlock the domain and give me the authorization code
Step 4: I'll request the transfer
Step 5: Once the domain transfer is complete, I will Paypal the remaining balance ($XXX USD)
"

Anyone else done business via this method before?

•••
Thanks for the heads up @Cynthia - These fraudsters are the scum of the earth, not only are they persistent but they ruin peoples lives.

Be careful NamePro'ers, and do your best to stay up to date on the latest duping methods that these fraudsters use..

Rule of thumb for any transaction in life (Especially over the internet): If it sounds too good to be true, then it most probably is! ;)

•••
That's such a horrible story. I agreed a deal with someone today and this is what they came back with.....

"Great. I don't have a GoDaddy account so it would have to be transferred to a different registrar.

Step 1: Prove that you have control of the domain by creating a DNS TXT record with my name (or anything really, since no current TXT records exist on the domain).
Step 5: Once the domain transfer is complete, I will Paypal the remaining balance ($XXX USD)
"

Anyone else done business via this method before?[/QUOTE

No but do you feel comfortable with all the long rules?My reply would be,Just use escrow.

•••
Thank you @Cynthia for sharing this story.

Short and quick checklist to recap all the story once more;

- domain is extremely cheap price
- whois info showing different personals
- seller is not established member or no any trade reviews
- seller asking for other payment types which has no buyer protection

- If any of two above is matching STAY AWAY!!!..

•••
Use escrow and sleep well.

I think that this is the only one rule in this "game".

•••
Someone tried to sell domain names he Di not own on this forum for way below market. I mean when you see someone is offering something that is too good to be true...

•••

"

Anyone else done business via this method before?

Sounds fishy and scammy to me.

Insist on Escrow or walk away.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back