NameSilo

WARNING: Phone Numbers Being Compromised - Re: LLLL Scams

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello,

There has been a recent string of LLLL.com scams going around and I'm sure you have heard of them if you are in the domain selling and/or buying business.

I recently was contacted by this infamous '[email protected]' scammer offering to buy my bulk lot of LLLL's. Since I was aware of the scam (thanks to a NamePros post) I played along to see where it would go. I eventually noticed the individual who had been contacting me through PM was suddenly banned from NamePros and I received a personal email ten minutes later offering to continue the discussion. I replied, which is where my mistake occured.

My personal cellular phone number is listed in my personal email account's signature, which means whenever I send a message my signature automatically includes my telephone number. The day after I had been contacted by this user I received a call from my father asking if I had lost my cell phone. I had not, and told him so.

He said Verizon was on the line and had called my home back in New Jersey to confirm registering a new cellular phone using my number. We told them we had absolutely no idea what was going on and not to confirm the request, as I did not lose my phone. I was baffled, but later realized just 24 hours earlier I had mistakingly given my telephone number to a known scammer. For some reason Verizon did activate the number (we've sinced fixed the issue, explained below).

Since many domain scammers phish PayPal accounts I started thinking that perhaps this scammer got my phone number and was then going to sign up for a service using it to continue creating false PayPal/other accounts. For the hell of it my father called my number to see what would happen and a man picked up, saying "Hey.." and "Yeah.." to every question asked. Very shady.

I've been talking to Verizon and my company's lawyer and we are tracking down who is responsible. I am just warning you that if you are going to make contact with ANY domain buyer who appears to be suspicious in the SLIGHTEST-- do not give out your phone number.

I have never experienced anything like this until the very day after I know my phone number was sent to an experienced scammer.

Beware. Thank you.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back