Dynadot

Warning about stargateinc.com aka stargate.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I had a domain at stargateinc.com aka stargate.com and it expired last night. I forgot to renew it and today I went to renew it but its not in my account. I got an email right after that from them saying I need to fax a form to them to get it back.Guess how much they want to now renew it for a year.... $150!#@$@#$%

Same thing happened at namecheap.com a year aho and they only wanted the $8.88 it normally costs. I suggest everyone stay away from stargateinc.com when getting a domain.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Thanks for joinging the forum, Tom. Its always nice to have an ICANN-accredited registrar as a friend. :tu:

•••
armstrong said:
Its always nice to have an ICANN-accredited registrar as a friend. :tu:

Indeed. Let's see, that makes Tom Chaffin from Stargate, Monte Cahn from
Moniker, Richard Kirkendall from Namecheap (although a reseller)...who else
have I missed around here? :D

•••
Thanks Tom! I now have it in my account :)

•••
I understand that accidents happen, even with domain regs, but you have to admit that this stinks of fraud, which is no accident. I mean, how do you accidentally block a domain from it's rightful owner and then try to sell it back to him again only at a premium domain price?

That tastes bad no matter which way you lick it.

I love forums and threads like htis. They let you know who to stay away from. no matter how this thread ends up, you can be sure there is one more company going on some people's blacklist. However, others will fall for it again and again. Just charge the lowest price or near it and they will take their chances just to save 10 cents.

Sad? Yes. True? Definitely!

But I know that my blacklist is defintely one URL richer after reading this thread.

:|

Last edited:
•••
man thats a ripoof...
well ill always stay with the big company

•••
I emailed Tom and the domain is in my account. :)
Thanks Tom!

•••
zquest said:
I understand that accidents happen, even with domain regs, but you have to admit that this stinks of fraud, which is no accident. I mean, how do you accidentally block a domain from it's rightful owner and then try to sell it back to him again only at a premium domain price?

That tastes bad no matter which way you lick it.

I love forums and threads like htis. They let you know who to stay away from. no matter how this thread ends up, you can be sure there is one more company going on some people's blacklist. However, others will fall for it again and again. Just charge the lowest price or near it and they will take their chances just to save 10 cents.

Sad? Yes. True? Definitely!

But I know that my blacklist is defintely one URL richer after reading this thread.

:|

Zquest,

Stargate did not "accidentally" block this domain from the rightful owner and try to sell it back to him. In fact, I take offense to the accusation. The domain name expired. It had nothing to do with Stargate other than the fee we previously charged, under an old policy, to restore domain names. Stargate's current delete policy is no different than any other ICANN registrar.

-Tom
www.stargate.com

•••
I only have one name with StarGate.com at the moment, I was going to transfer it out but after reading a few threads here and there I have decided to renew it with them.

You dont see the other Registrars here do you, providing Help, answering ?'s or resolving any issues. To me seeing StarGate as a Member shows that they do indeed care what we Domainers think.

•••
Tom,

Has Stargate lowered the reg fee or was that $6.95 a special? I have to admit I would have more domains with Stargate if the price wasnt so high.

Right now I am registering domains with NameCheap because its $8.88/yr and they give us a free whois guard...

•••
ZuraX said:
Tom,

Has Stargate lowered the reg fee or was that $6.95 a special? I have to admit I would have more domains with Stargate if the price wasnt so high.

Right now I am registering domains with NameCheap because its $8.88/yr and they give us a free whois guard...

The $6.95 is not a special. It is Stargate's plan to remain at our current price level or $6.95 for the foreseeable future.

Whois privacy should be launched no later than the end of this month.

I'm open to comments or suggestions. Anything you feel Stargate should be doing better let me know personally at [email protected] or PM. I would be happy to help.

-Tom
www.stargate.com

•••
Tippy said:
To me seeing StarGate as a Member shows that they do indeed care what we Domainers think.

Yeah! And Boob Parson's is as angry as hell reading these posts here ... :yell:

•••
Tippy said:
To me seeing StarGate as a Member shows that they do indeed care what we Domainers think.

Anyone can join this forum...IT"S FREE. Just because some company hangs out in a forum looking for unsatisfied customers, it does not mean they are honest. It could mean that they are merely trying to cover their a$$ and image on the forum but are guilty as hell of unethical or even illegal practices.

Godaddy.com is not a scammer, however, do you see them here?

Register.com is not a scammer, however, do you see them here?

Enom.com is not a scammer, however, do you see them here?

Yahoo.com is not a scammer, however, do you see them here?

•••
zquest Stargate/Tom didnt have to post gere at all. I am thankful he did and helped me out. Please stop attacking them and other registers.

BTW did you see GoDaddy now offers a email service where anyone can buy an account, upload their email lists and spam away? So they are looking more and more scammy every day.

•••
Having a company rep seek our comments in the forum is always a good thing. It means that we have a direct line to someone who can make things happen, that they are willing to listen, and that they are not afraid of criticism.

I remember a company rep for a known scammer (fastdomainsales and their appraisal scams) once tried to come onto the forum to clear their name. He was unable to answer the questions that came flying his way and quit the forum after less than five posts.

If registrars like stargate and moniker can stand the heat and act on complaints, then more power to them. :tu:

•••
Stargate.com has stepped up to the plate and done the right thing.

I, for one, will be willing to give them a shot.

•••
zquest said:
Anyone can join this forum...IT"S FREE. Just because some company hangs out in a forum looking for unsatisfied customers, it does not mean they are honest.

Just as there are dishonest companies, there are also dishonest customers,
you know.

zquest said:
It could mean that they are merely trying to cover their a$$ and image on the forum but are guilty as hell of unethical or even illegal practices.

And you, deep down inside, absolutely, positively, know that? With no chance
of being mistaken?

Tippy said:
You dont see the other Registrars here do you, providing Help, answering ?'s or resolving any issues. To me seeing StarGate as a Member shows that they do indeed care what we Domainers think.

Ah, how I wish ICANN would do the same in any of the domain forums around.

Last edited:
•••
I just a rather crafty experience with Stargateinc.com. I tried to renew a domain name for $6.95, only to find out that, at the end of the transaction, $149.95 was charged to my credit card. I complained through the cumbersome online contact system that Stargate has. Someone (supposedly the Sales Manager) called me back that it was an error, and that they had forgotten to indicate that there is a redemption fee or something like that. He took credit card details, and promised to refund difference. That was over 3 weeks ago. I think it is illegal for a business to conduct an online transaction without adequately informing the customer of how much they will be paying, and then surprise them at the end. I will continue to find ways to get my refund back. Any suggestions?

•••
You could try and contact them again. Then think about a charge back. But if you do that they could lock the account and youll lose all domains in that account..

•••
Zurax.Glad everything worked out well.I have been with stargateinc for two months now and have been very happy.You can get through check-out twice as fast as godaddy.They even have a 1-800 number.I have spent at least 200.00 on long distance with godaddy in the last year and most of that was waiting on hold.
Zquest,you might want to get your facts straight before black listing.I read stargateinc's complete tos two months ago,and they only done what it said.Do what you want,it's A free country "at least were I live "But from now on stargateinc is my daddy.Ha Ha

Have A nice day
Hope

•••
igbobian said:
I just a rather crafty experience with Stargateinc.com. I tried to renew a domain name for $6.95, only to find out that, at the end of the transaction, $149.95 was charged to my credit card.

Are you sure it remained $6.95 near the end of the checkout, or did it indeed
say $149.95 before submitting the order? I just read stargate's TOS and they
apparently lowered the grace period.

A registrar has every right to shorten or lengthen their grace period depending
on how cost-effective or prohibitive it is.

igbobian said:
I complained through the cumbersome online contact system that Stargate has. Someone (supposedly the Sales Manager) called me back that it was an error, and that they had forgotten to indicate that there is a redemption fee or something like that. He took credit card details, and promised to refund difference. That was over 3 weeks ago. I think it is illegal for a business to conduct an online transaction without adequately informing the customer of how much they will be paying, and then surprise them at the end.

I don't know if it's illegal since every state has its laws. But theoretically, you
do agree to their terms when you click the box beside the "I have read the
Service Agreement and agree to its terms" line.

igbobian said:
I will continue to find ways to get my refund back. Any suggestions?

I'd say check after a week. Refunds do take a while, and it should reflect on
your next billing statement if you got it much soon after you were told you'd
be refunded.

If it's been a month and still no refund, give them one last chance before
doing the chargeback. But remember that if you use the latter, your domain
name will most likely be suspended and you'd end up paying even more.

Exercise extreme caution on this delicate problem.

•••
hope said:
Zurax.Glad everything worked out well.I have been with stargateinc for two months now and have been very happy.You can get through check-out twice as fast as godaddy.They even have a 1-800 number.I have spent at least 200.00 on long distance with godaddy in the last year and most of that was waiting on hold.
Zquest,you might want to get your facts straight before black listing.I read stargateinc's complete tos two months ago,and they only done what it said.Do what you want,it's A free country "at least were I live "But from now on stargateinc is my daddy.Ha Ha

Have A nice day
Hope

Stargate posted here and emailed me saying you had X days aafter it expired to get it back for the $6.95. Then it slowly went up.
It all depends on when it expired, if at all.

•••
Zurax.All I was saying was what they had on thier tos two months ago.I did not see anything about getting it back for 6.95 after expiring +7 hours.I was not commenting on the Emails you recieved.I have not had time to read thier updated tos,but I will.By this thread they came through and done the right thing.Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope

•••
They sent an email to all acounts a few days later saying the same thing.

•••
I don't think that they are ripping you off. It is standard with a lot of registrars when the domain has expired for a certain amount of time.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back