domains Wales.com worth £3,000,000? Acquired for £100,000

NameSilo
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
North.Wales published an article about Wales.com. The purchase price and what one domain broker estimated today’s value at. From the article: A Freedom of Information request has revealed a Welsh Government official with foresight managed to acquire the Wales.com domain name for £100,000 back in 2008 – a domain one expert has said now could […]

Continue Reading

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I know a guy with Wales.org. should be up running soon.

This should be music to his ears :xf.grin: @NickB

Last edited:
•••
They got it for a great price......

Also thanks for the shout out guys :xf.smile:

I have been saying it for a while now though.......coming soon (I promise!)

Last edited:
•••
Cheap for a country. Should be priceless.

•••
$100,000 is obviously really cheap for that domain but $3M is a grossly inflated valuation for it.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
$100,000 is obviously really cheap for that domain but $3M is a grossly inflated valuation for it.

Brad
Nope should be priceless and the gov should have it like in a museum.

•••
£100,000 was around $200,000 then. Happy days.

•••
The first two words of the op are a gtld

But assuming it was for sale or current owner wants to develop it etc its an ideal dragons den opportunity

The opportunity is this

Its the perfect domain name to put welsh businesses online via an impossible to forget domain name the welsh cant forget

So instead of welsh people driving to the high st they would go to the welsh digital high st via wales . com

But the concept is so well suited for dragons den investor peter jones who has the tech expertise to make the concept a reality it would just be a negotiation of % advertising dolkars generated from the website but if achieved welsh high st s would thrive without the need to pay rent for big high st shops because they wouldnt need shops just their existing warehouses and a partnership with deliveroo

Thats my concept for this domain name

•••
The first two words of the op are a gtld

But assuming it was for sale or current owner wants to develop it etc its an ideal dragons den opportunity

The opportunity is this

Its the perfect domain name to put welsh businesses online via an impossible to forget domain name the welsh cant forget

So instead of welsh people driving to the high st they would go to the welsh digital high st via wales . com

But the concept is so well suited for dragons den investor peter jones who has the tech expertise to make the concept a reality it would just be a negotiation of % advertising dolkars generated from the website but if achieved welsh high st s would thrive without the need to pay rent for big high st shops because they wouldnt need shops just their existing warehouses and a partnership with deliveroo

Thats my concept for this domain name
The crux is it is owned by the Welsh government and they can't monetize the site......I have spoken to them about it and other matters 🙂

Edit

"The emphasis is not on promoting any individual business. References to businesses are always in the broader context of the website wanting to say something about Wales as a place to invest, work, visit or study. There is no financial benefit to any businesses featured"

Last edited:
•••
•••
whales.com is good,
i have domain: Downing-street.com

•••
We shouldn't forget that GBP100,000 was still a lot of money in 2008. I wonder how a welsh government official could have afforded that at the time ;) Seems to have been a wise investment whatever it is worth today.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for drawing our attention to it @equity78 - always nice to see mention of domain names as highly valuable assets mentioned in general circulation media.

i can't find my notes but a year or so I looked at what country or region names had sold some time ago (I think when Canada .com was seeking offers), and if recalling what I found, seems that 3 million seems high, but no doubt if sold would be one of big sales of year. Overall my take would agree entirely with Brad's:

Best of wishes with Wales.org, @NickB

I think when pandemic finally ends the right kind of travel/tourism sites will see a big rebound in demand.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
In coming days, threads on NP will be like:
Buying One Word Country/City Domain names (COM only)

Awesome deal :)

•••
The crux is it is owned by the Welsh government and they can't monetize the site......I have spoken to them about it and other matters 🙂

Edit

"The emphasis is not on promoting any individual business. References to businesses are always in the broader context of the website wanting to say something about Wales as a place to invest, work, visit or study. There is no financial benefit to any businesses featured"

If google was to manage the domain it could create a welsh version of youtube which could fund free public transport in wales

•••
If google was to manage the domain it could create a welsh version of youtube which could fund free public transport in wales
"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

•••
•••
In coming days, threads on NP will be like:
Buying One Word Country/City Domain names (COM only)

Awesome deal :)
"Budget $xxx"

Peace,
Kenny

•••
Is Wales a country.
There is a British Empire (consisting of UK, Australia, New Zealand, maybe you could add US before Trump, how about South Africa)
Inside British Empire there is UK, it is a country.
Wales is a region. I think its status is similar to Scotland, England, Northern Ireland. Among these England as keyword would be the most valuable one. How much for England.com maybe 3M-10M domain only, but it can be worth more because of its past.
Wales.com , 100K to 500K , if it has no past. It can be worth more after Walexit (if ever).

•••
Is Wales a country.
There is a British Empire (consisting of UK, Australia, New Zealand, maybe you could add US before Trump, how about South Africa)
Wales is a region. I think its status is similar to Scotland, England, Northern Ireland. Among these England as keyword would be the most valuable one. How much for England.com maybe 3M-10M domain only, but it can be worth more because of its past.
Wales.com , 100K to 500K , if it has no past. It can be worth more after Walexit (if ever).
Wales is a country in it's own right........same for Scotland and Northern Island - all are countries.....

•••
Is Wales a country.
The UK is comprised of the countries England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Although these countries are usually referred to as one nation by the rest of the world, from my experience we are all patriotic to our individual countries. I'm English first and foremost then I'm British.

Great Britain comprises of the countries England, Scotland and Wales.

•••
The UK is comprised of the countries England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Although these countries are usually referred to as one nation by the rest of the world, from my experience we are all patriotic to our individual countries. I'm English first and foremost then I'm British.

Great Britain comprises of the countries England, Scotland and Wales.
Exactly - try calling a Scotsman or Welshman "British" and see how that pans out :xf.smile:

•••
•••
No offence against Wales. I have lived in Cardiff, and it is a great country (part of the UK). But this domain will not sell for $3 million at least for the forseeable future.

•••
"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

I reckon it wont be long before google facebook and amazon decideto buy a small country and manage it and run its finances etc

But going back to the wales .com etc

As

.town

And

.city

Are gtlds etc every town and city in the world is a gtld domain name

•••
Back