Dynadot

Virtual property rights

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Badger

Ravaged By AgeVIP Member
Impact
I see today that, thanks to the advent of these multi player online role playing games (MMORG's), property law might be changed in order to accomodate virtual possesions...
Seb Belcher said:
Virtual property must be recognised in law. The projections for growth in the online gaming industry ... suggest that the demands for legal recognition of virtual property will only increase

As with all things legal though i guess ;) there is counter opinion on the matter

anna cook said:
Virtual property in these games has more in common with a domain name or trademark. It is not like physical property which involves occupation of a premises or land, so the laws governing buying and selling virtual items will be normal laws of contract

And for resolution

John Enser said:
Jurisdiction governing the contract will probablybe determined by the country where the host server sets up the site or anywhere else he chooses. With online disputes [involving persons from different countries], the contract might contain provision for some kind of online dispute resolution or arbritration

Interesting stuff, huh??

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Very interesting, As i participate in several MMORPG's this doesn't surprise me. There are people who pay hundreds and even thousands for some a peice of "virtual" property

Regards
Brian

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back