Dynadot

Vibrators.com sold for $1 million

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Here is the link:
http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/11/12/what-recession-priveco-coughs-up-1-million-for-vibratorscom/

Here is the article:

What Recession? PriveCo Coughs Up $1 Million For Vibrators.com
6 Commentsby Robin Wauters on November 12, 2008
Privately-owned PriveCo, which specializes in retailing β€œembarrassing” products online, has paid $1 million for the acquisition of the domain name vibrators.com (a little NSFW).

PriveCo began selling private things out of a spare bedroom on a website called ShopInPrivate.com back in 1998, and has steadily grown to an operation with 12 separate retail sites whose warehouse ships 1500+ packages per week.

This is how they justify the price of the domain name:

It is an instantly recognizable name,
Tied to products that people want to buy in complete privacy
Customers will value PriveCo’s policies and services
Competitor websites lack professionalism and tact
PriveCo has strong experience in this field
DomainNameNews spoke to PriveCo President Tom Nardone on the phone and got hold of the exact details of the transaction:

Priveco has closed on the deal to buy the domain outright, but whois ownership has not changed because the current owner is financing the deal. Priveco made a six-figure down-payment on the domain name and will be paying the rest off over the next few years with an 8% interest rate.

Either way, $1 million is a lot of money, especially in these troubled economic times. What speaks for the company, however, is that they’re bound to know exactly how valuable it is: PriveCo has been running Vibrators.com since 2002, essentially leasing the domain from someone else. The domain is currently registered to Vibesales in Jonesboro, Arizona.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
And Kredit.de just sold for 1.13 Million a few days ago... Been a good last few days for some people :)

•••
Wow, that is fantastic news!

Credit crunch my ass... These companies refuse to participate in the recession ;)

•••
•••
we should see these in next weeks dnjournal.

•••
In this weak economy, I'm just buzzing with excitement over this encouraging news.

:guilty:

•••
Vibrators.com:

"English soccer ace David Beckham has spent a staggering $1.8 million on the world's most expensive sex toy as a present for his pregnant wife Victoria."

_\|/_

•••
1 word premium domain rules also.

•••
Congratulations to the seller but this doesn't say much for the overall economy & health of the industry. Yes, it is nice to get excited over a huge sale. However the majority of domainers do not own names that would generally get the bigger end of the spectrum for end user sales. The main market is the smaller to mid-size end user & that market is not thriving considering the economic conditions.

Just my opinion

•••
People would much rather buy things like this online than in a store, "can you give me a demonstration"' or "lets try it for size".... :)

•••
Great Sale, Great Name.. No surprise here, vibrators are BIG sellers in this HUGE industry.. ;)

•••
Nice sale for a very nice name :)

•••
•••
nicedomains said:
No surprise here, vibrators are BIG sellers in this HUGE industry.. ;)

And it's only used by women

•••
Charley said:
And it's only used by women

I hate to be crude...but I don't believe that's true.

•••
labrocca said:
I hate to be crude...but I don't believe that's true.

Men use it ?

•••
Google it if interested in more info. Inappropriate to discuss further on a forum with minors.

Charley said:
Men use it ?

•••
I think it went cheap. I would have guessed 2 MIllion+. Like others said this is a HUGE industry and MOST customers would rather buy these over the internet discretly then some local shop in a small town.

Great buy for the buyer IMO

•••
I had no idea this market was so big, lol

•••
Def great deal for end users for both, it just goes to shows that end users rule the waves!! And this certainly gives a new meaning to end user :hehe:

Last edited:
•••
www.LLLL.com said:
And Kredit.de just sold for 1.13 Million a few days ago... Been a good last few days for some people :)

Where do you get the news for these sales? :)

•••
tetrapak said:
Vibrators.com:

"English soccer ace David Beckham has spent a staggering $1.8 million on the world's most expensive sex toy as a present for his pregnant wife Victoria."

_\|/_

i wonder who he was?

re the sale - it seems it's one of the higher paying cpc 'adult' terms, might have contributed

•••
wow.

it's such a great domain reselling feat.

cheers in the industries :)

i do like that domain ha

•••
•••
Charley said:
Men use it ?

I'm sure that there are a number of men that would use it on women as well ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back