Dynadot

Vibrators.com sold for $1 million

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Here is the link:
http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/11/12/what-recession-priveco-coughs-up-1-million-for-vibratorscom/

Here is the article:

What Recession? PriveCo Coughs Up $1 Million For Vibrators.com
6 Commentsby Robin Wauters on November 12, 2008
Privately-owned PriveCo, which specializes in retailing “embarrassing” products online, has paid $1 million for the acquisition of the domain name vibrators.com (a little NSFW).

PriveCo began selling private things out of a spare bedroom on a website called ShopInPrivate.com back in 1998, and has steadily grown to an operation with 12 separate retail sites whose warehouse ships 1500+ packages per week.

This is how they justify the price of the domain name:

It is an instantly recognizable name,
Tied to products that people want to buy in complete privacy
Customers will value PriveCo’s policies and services
Competitor websites lack professionalism and tact
PriveCo has strong experience in this field
DomainNameNews spoke to PriveCo President Tom Nardone on the phone and got hold of the exact details of the transaction:

Priveco has closed on the deal to buy the domain outright, but whois ownership has not changed because the current owner is financing the deal. Priveco made a six-figure down-payment on the domain name and will be paying the rest off over the next few years with an 8% interest rate.

Either way, $1 million is a lot of money, especially in these troubled economic times. What speaks for the company, however, is that they’re bound to know exactly how valuable it is: PriveCo has been running Vibrators.com since 2002, essentially leasing the domain from someone else. The domain is currently registered to Vibesales in Jonesboro, Arizona.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
this kind of industry has a lot of money.

•••
cache said:
this kind of industry has a lot of money.

it does for sure billions, thats a fact

however i would shell out for a category crunching term like sextoys but not just one product. i think they overpaid bigtime imo. unless they got some inventory too
:laugh:

dont laugh, thats how the diamond.com sale worked, domain, site and inventory

cant help thinking buyer got 'fingered' on this :laugh:

•••
taktikz said:
Where do you get the news for these sales? :)

Check out the domain news blogs. I have started a STICKY thread on the main page.

•••
Despite sales like these, domain investors themselves seem to have become noticeably more conservative with their bidding over the past couple of weeks. For example, I was very surprised to witness Dangerous.com sell for a mere $15K on NJ yesterday. I predicted it would go for $25K or more.

•••
Worth every penny if they're in business for the long haul, bet it gets a shed load of traffic from around the world.

....far better than this backward one which is in use ;) rotarbiv.com :tri:

•••
And How Much For...

Won't they need to buy batteries.com, too?

•••
homebuyer said:
Won't they need to buy batteries.com, too?

:laugh:

I think the bigguns need to be plugged into the mains :gl: :laugh:

•••
It reinforce my belief that domaining is indeed an investment game. But I hate myself for not having the foresight to register such names!

•••
I think its a fair price. As someone mentioned above, its not a category killer but a specific product and despite being a huge industry I don't think they over or underpaid. I'm sure it was a great sale from the sellers pov. Who knows, it might have been more if the financial market was more stable.

Anyway, I have a big one, in-fact its monster...

:)

I'm talking about a domain name, just in case your minds started to wonder... MonsterVibrators.com lol... now that's being even more product specific!!

;)

•••
Back