Dynadot

question Value of 4L, 5N and 4 characters

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

RubenDario

Established Member
Impact
My question is the following. The price of a domain depends on its availability. 4L there is no more. The possible combinations are 456976. But ... for 4 characters (3L and 1N) the combinations are 175760. And 5N are only 100,000. So these last two are scarcer. So, should they be worth more, or not? However, there is no market for 3L1N, even if they are pronounceable. This catches my attention.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yeah, but why 3L and 1N? What is so special about that format?
Why not 1L and 3N or 2N and 2L?

There are a lot of combos in all those formats. More than 1M+ total.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
The price of a domain depends on its availability

You made that as a statement. Whereas in reality it can be an influenced by availability rather than it's any kind of set rule. Take for example, random 4 letter dot coms, I'm guessing around 97% of these registrations are held by domainers Does that make them more desirable or valuable - just because you'll have a hard time finding any available to hand register.

I will add, I have managed to sell a few early 3 letter (word) dotcoms with the number 4 attached at the end. Each had the letter 'E' as the second letter - I just liked the patterning at the time (long before I learnt the Chinese don't like the number 4)

So if your thinking along the lines of random 3 letters with a Single digit number as a investment strategy. I think you'll be waiting a lot longer than the four random letter investors to see a decent return.... Yes, some will sell but that doesn't make it a good overall investment.

Yes of course I understand your numerical logic of
26 X 26 X 26 X 26
V
26 X 26 X 26 X 10

But not many company acronyms or indeed word terms have a number attached which is partly what the 4 letter investors are aiming for including the scarcity created by the registrants themselves, Somehow making a Scarcity = Value argument

Last edited:
•••
You made that as a statement. Whereas in reality it can be an influenced by availability rather than it's any kind of set rule. Take for example, random 4 letter dot coms, I'm guessing around 97% of these registrations are held by domainers Does that make them more desirable or valuable - just because you'll have a hard time finding any available to hand register.

I will add, I have managed to sell a few early 3 letter (word) dotcoms with the number 4 attached at the end. Each had the letter 'E' as the second letter - I just liked the patterning at the time (long before I learnt the Chinese don't like the number 4)

So if your thinking along the lines of random 3 letters with a Single digit number as a investment strategy. I think you'll be waiting a lot longer than the four random letter investors to see a decent return.... Yes, some will sell but that doesn't make it a good overall investment.

Yes of course I understand your numerical logic of
26 X 26 X 26 X 26
V
26 X 26 X 26 X 10

But not many company acronyms or indeed word terms have a number attached which is partly what the 4 letter investors are aiming for including the scarcity created by the registrants themselves, Somehow making a Scarcity = Value argument

I understand, very clear. And always learning new things. I have 3 domains of 4 characters, 2 of them with an E as the second letter, and pronounceable. Thank you

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back