Dynadot

.us .us domains really heating up.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
.us domains really seem to be heating up. LLL.us are selling like crazy and Sedo just disclosed roommates.us sold for $10k.

What are your thoughts on the .us market? Have you invested in .us domains? Where do you see the future of .us domains going?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
AdoptableDomains said:
No, you wrote:

Sorry Charlie... I guess I'm done replying to your mental masturbation.
Don't you mean mental constipation ?? :'(

•••
I think the thread is a very good read for those wanting to educate themselves on the US ccTLD and the reasons why it's a popular investment choice for a number of Domainers.

Easier and useful read if you just skip the taunt posts by this Charlie guy.

•••
BigCharlie said:
Can someone please find me one random person in the world who can tell you what .us site he/she has visited. You have seven billion people.....try to find one real person who you can touch who can let you know of a .us site they have visited.

Just one person who isn't into domains....like someone walking down the street. I'll give you until January 1st of 2008 to find one single person.

Of course there are a few developed .us websites. I am asking you to find someone in your daily life who you do not know....ask them to tell you about a .us site that they have ever visited. How hard can it be?

You have until the first day of 2008 to find such a person.

This is getting silly. How can someone in this business be so ignorant of popular sites to have never even heard of imageshack.us, del.icio.us, etc. I might be new to the domain biz but I'm not new to the internet and I recognize a blatantly trolling idiot when I see one.

You should be encouraging people to go buy .US domains and develop them, after all, isn't 99% of their traffic going to blead over to your .COM anyway? Make the most of it while PPC still has more worth than a chocolate teapot.

In the meantime, for everyone else, it's really quite simple. You believe in the .US domain go buy names in it, if you don't, don't.

•••
gazzip said:
Don't you mean mental constipation ?? :'(

Mental Masturbation:
When a person argues or engages in a mental exercise solely to pleasure themselves, accomplishing or contributing nothing of value to anyone else.

•••
My personal apologies to anyone who may have read the post that has, since been, deleted, up above The axe should have fallen sooner. It is, now, apparent that we have been dealing with one seriously, sick individual. I *sincerely* believe that clinical mental ilness must be considered as a possible source of the irrational behavior and the lack of dimension that this individual has demonstrated.

Last edited:
•••
The thing about .us is you can use it as the word us, so coffeeshop.us - we are a coffeeshop. If i could find one of those types of domains which had not been taken, I'd use .us, even though it's for US people.

•••
-X- said:
...The restrictions on the tld hurt it imo....I think if the US residency restrictions were pulled from the tld...It would definatly take off and more end users outside the US would be seeking .us

The whole idea of a nexus is that the tld in general is the property of the government and citizens of the county. I am all for the restrictions. I don't like those not legally doing business in the US having .us domains. I personally don't own any domains against the nexus requirements of the country such as .eu, .ca, or otherwise. Having sites all over the world on a ccTLD just destroys the geographic nature of the TLD, which is one of its benefits.

ccTLD's don't need to be a competitor for gTLD's, as they fill a difffent need. the needs of the citizens and others doing legal business in that country. They can also insure that the cultural values, laws, and traditions of a particular county are at least met in the TLD of that country, since at least in the terms of the .us TLD, US laws apply to every .us domain.

Last edited:
•••
Bobba said:
The thing about .us is you can use it as the word us, so coffeeshop.us - we are a coffeeshop. If i could find one of those types of domains which had not been taken, I'd use .us, even though it's for US people.
:laugh: Another controversial subject! (albeit, on a different level). There are people who love to integrate the word play that many of the TLDs and cctlds provide and others who turn their noses up at this name style and view bastardizing an extention in this manner to be no more than, child's play. I happen to land in the 1st category.
You are right. Names that use the ext .us as the word "us", (as in you and me), are difficult to come by. Many other extentions also lend themselves to word play. ie Fishermans.Net, (one of mine)-> HowIs.Biz. .in, .it, .is, .be are a few that come to mind.

As an aside. While playing with these, I have often found myself wishing that there were an option available that would allow an ext to go in front of the base term.:hehe: Sub-domains offer similar possibilities by building a name a [word] "." in front of the 2nd level term. Word play w/ sub-domains is, generally, considered to be acceptable because a third level domain has an impact on the SEs.

Last edited:
•••
Grrilla said:
:laugh: Another controversial subject! (albeit, on a different level). There are people who love to integrate the word play that many of the TLDs and cctlds provide and others who turn their nose up at this name style and view the whold affair as child's play. I happen to land in the 1st category.
You are right. Names that use the ext .us as the word "us", (as in you and me), are difficult to come by. Many other extentions also lend themselves to word play. ie Fishermans.Net, (one of mine)-> HowIs.Biz. .in, .it, .is, .be are a few that come to mind.

I generally shy away from word plays that are an integral part of the domain. del.icio.us particularly bothers me as confusing as where to put the dots by splitting a word in three pieces. I don't mind them if the second level stands on it's own though, and the tld just enhances it. I would love to have the double meaing fishing.net, help.us or call.us. The best I've got in this category is acquiring.us and dropped.us

•••
AdoptableDomains said:
Mental Masturbation:
When a person argues or engages in a mental exercise solely to pleasure themselves, accomplishing or contributing nothing of value to anyone else.

Mental Constipation:
When a person ....... nah, I better not - as tempting as it is ! :hehe:

•••
AdoptableDomains said:
I generally shy away from word plays that are an integral part of the domain. del.icio.us particularly bothers me as confusing as where to put the dots by splitting a word in three pieces. I don't mind them if the second level stands on it's own though, and the tld just enhances it. I would love to have the double meaing fishing.net, help.us or call.us. The best I've got in this category is acquiring.us and dropped.us
.Name lends itself, particulaly, well to wordplay. Although, most of my .Names don't, strictly, fall into this category, (ie IDS.Name), I have, faithfully, renewed the better "name plays" that I have picked up, (however, no websites, yet) exs: NewBaby.Name, PayPerClick.Name, SubmitMy.Name, Safeguard.Name.

But, I digress and have gone off topic, (again).:notme:

•••
MIKE what DID I miss WHat post got deleted? Who's? CHarlie I missed it and I found the non domainer .us user. I think they call that word play MIKE a DOMAIN Hack. SOmeone on here has a nice one VEG.AS

•••
Is this thing STILL going?

•••
domainica said:
Is this thing STILL going?
Apparently so. However, it has, undoubtably, taken a turn for the better and the future looks bright, regardless, of the position one takes on the subject. ;)

•••
Charlie,

At a bar last night, the first group of three people I asked all answered matsuk12.us. Turned out they were teachers, and that was their district site. Most others just looked at me like I knocked over a bottle. About eight beers later, a guy who works for a non-profit org answered Del.icio.us. Said his kid showed it to him. Don't know if that meets your requirements, but the buffalo wings were tasty.

•••
verbster said:
Charlie,

At a bar last night, the first group of three people I asked all answered matsuk12.us. Turned out they were teachers, and that was their district site. Most others just looked at me like I knocked over a bottle. About eight beers later, a guy who works for a non-profit org answered Del.icio.us. Said his kid showed it to him. Don't know if that meets your requirements, but the buffalo wings were tasty.
Hitting the bar hard on a weekday night? Ahh... Brings me back to me undergrad days.

•••
AdoptableDomains said:
The whole idea of a nexus is that the tld in general is the property of the government and citizens of the county. I am all for the restrictions. I don't like those not legally doing business in the US having .us domains. I personally don't own any domains against the nexus requirements of the country such as .eu, .ca, or otherwise. Having sites all over the world on a ccTLD just destroys the geographic nature of the TLD, which is one of its benefits.

ccTLD's don't need to be a competitor for gTLD's, as they fill a difffent need. the needs of the citizens and others doing legal business in that country. They can also insure that the cultural values, laws, and traditions of a particular county are at least met in the TLD of that country, since at least in the terms of the .us TLD, US laws apply to every .us domain.
I think a good example is my site (which badly needs a redesign/updating) www.studiopottery.us fits what you say. Even had the com been available it would have been redirected to the .us because it is about the studio pottery movement in the United States. I collect and to a lesser extent sell this stuff.

•••
verbster said:
About eight beers later, a guy who works for a non-profit org answered Del.icio.us.

No, that was the bartender waking you up and saying the piece of pie he just had was delicious. Hey, you said 8 beers later...how would you know?! :hehe:

•••
This just in....

My nephew surveyed 8 people this afternoon at Fryes Electronics when he was shopping for cd's. These were complete strangers with whom he has no personal connection, ages ranging from 13 to 62. He said they looked at him like he was some kind of nut, but anyway...

5 had never heard of .US and were not even aware it existed. :(
2 were aware of .US and had visited a .US site. :)
1 had heard of .US but had never visited a .US site. :) :(

And most interesting (to me anyway) was the discovery of www.Hotel.us

I never knew it was developed, and a pretty darn nice site too.

I don't think this proves anything, except that my nephew has too much free time, and is not easily embarrassed.

•••
-db- said:
This just in....

My nephew surveyed 8 people this afternoon at Fryes Electronics when he was shopping for cd's. These were complete strangers with whom he has no personal connection, ages ranging from 13 to 62. He said they looked at him like he was some kind of nut, but anyway...

5 had never heard of .US and were not even aware it existed. :(
2 were aware of .US and had visited a .US site. :)
1 had heard of .US but had never visited a .US site. :) :(

And most interesting (to me anyway) was the discovery of www.Hotel.us

I never knew it was developed, and a pretty darn nice site too.

I don't think this proves anything, except that my nephew has too much free time, and is not easily embarrassed.

3/8 is better than I had expected. My personal obsession is .tv

I have found a noticable difference relative to 6-7 months ago when i mention .tv to folks in the percentage of people who have at least heard of it vs. just total blank stares.

Patience...!

•••
Crooky said:
... the piece of pie he just had was delicious.

Was the pie delicious or del.icio.us?
:)

•••
del.icio.us

I must admit, this one has always confused me.

And is it just me, or does www.del.icio.us not resolve, while http://del.icio.us does?

What am I missing here? Does the "del" somehow replace the "www" ?

Last edited:
•••
Here is one negative thing I've noticed recently. Until about a year ago, .gov was only for Federal Government organizations. Recently, .gov has been opened up to state goverment as well. I have noticed some states are making the conversion from their heirarchical .us to a simpler second level .gov. Ohio has moved their main page from www.state.oh.us to redirect to www.ohio.gov. However many internal agencies still use the .oh.us designation. I noticed Indiana has gone to www.in.gov as well. On the one hand it's fewer eyes on the .us domain. On the other hand, it moves away from the confusing old heirarchy system and moves states to a more trusted and conrolled .gov TLD. At some point I can forsee them allowing US K-12 schools to move from .us to .edu as well.

•••
icio.us is the domain registered
DMOZ Directory: Del.icio.us
DMOZ Title: del.icio.us
DMOZ Description: A social bookmarks manager. Using bookmarklets, you can add bookmarks to your list and categorize them.
Alexa Related Sites: 4 listings
edelegate.com, residual-traffic.com, soundbeatradio.com, workathomemadeeasy.net,
Alexa Trend/Rank: The lower the rank the better. 144 (1 Month) 239 (3 Month)

•••
-db- said:
del.icio.us

I must admit, this one has always confused me.

And is it just me, or does www.del.icio.us not resolve, while http://del.icio.us does?

What am I missing here? Does the "del" somehow replace the "www" ?

You would think they would create a fourth level www to fix what you mention. the other problem I see with a domain like del.icio.us is that you introduce more potential typo problems. I'd bet someone has de.licio.us, d.elicio.us, d.eli.cio.us, del-icio.us, delicious.us, del.icious.us as well as the normal typo type misspellings. I can maybe see delicio.us, but del.icio.us? what were they thinking?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back