Dynadot

URGENT: Please help save my cousin's life

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

armstrong

Man from ManilaVIP Member
Impact
My cousin Christine in the US is battling cancer, and urgently needs to find a bone marrow donor. Unfortunately, finding a perfect match for her bone marrow type is particularly difficult. This is hard enough for the average person; there are over 20,000 types of bone marrow, so the average person has a 1 in 20,000 chance of finding a match. These numbers are even worse for Christine. Because she is Filipino, she needs to find a donor of the same ethnic background, and there are hardly any Filipinos on the US National Registry.

Right now is our best chance of having the Bone Marrow Transplant work. Each day's delay decreases her chances of surviving. Please contact your Filipino friends or relatives in the US, and ask them to contact their friends. Anyone you know who is all or part Filipino and between the ages of 18 and 61 is a potential donor. The system is nationwide, so it doesn't matter where they live. Signing up on the registry is easy and painless. All it requires is a simple blood test. Some hospitals charge a small fee for this blood test, however the fee is routinely waived for minorities, and often for Caucasians as well, especially if you are willing to donate a pint of blood.

You can find a registration center by selecting your state on the map on this website. These centers can refer you to bone marrow drives in your community.

http://www.marrow.org/cgi-bin/NETWORK/map.pl?ctr_typ=DC

There is also a wonderful organization in Los Angeles that arranges free registration for Filipino donors.

www.asianmarrow.org

If you have trouble finding a site in your area, have any trouble finding a place to donate for free, or have additional questions, you can reach Christine's boyfriend Jacob at this email address:

info [at] christine.site.ph

You can reassure your friends that signing up for the registry does not require donating any bone marrow. If it turns out they are a match, they will be contacted, and can make the decision at that point about becoming a donor.

There are lots of misconceptions about donating bone marrow. The procedure is considered minor, simple and safe. You will be anesthetized the whole time, so you will not feel anything. When the procedure is over, you may have some soreness in the area for a day or two and you may feel a little tired. That's it. The bone marrowyou donate is replenished within 3-4 weeks. And again, you will only undergo this procedure if your blood sample shows that you are a match and you decide to donate, in which case the slight soreness you'll be feeling will be saving someone's life.

All medical expenses for the donor will be covered by Christine's insurance.

You can find out more about the registry and the donation procedure at this website:

www.marrow.org

Thank you!

Apollo a.k.a. "armstrong" :hearts:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
All of my prayers and wishes go to your cousin. <3

•••
Folks, can someone help me with setting up a Paypal button on the http://christine.site.ph website? Christine will be setting up a Paypal account, and she wants to to place a Paypal donate button. I don't use Paypal, so don't know how. What code do I need to get this done?

•••
I am no an expert in this but I have set up a donate button on a no for profit website and it was not difficult.
No coding is required, just there is a button to choose among few design and a short piece of code to cut and then to paste on the page where you want the donate button to appear.
It is exactly this donate button you see often on websites. The only requirement is to have an activated Pay Pal account.
Ihope it help.

•••
armstrong said:
Folks, can someone help me with setting up a Paypal button on the http://christine.site.ph website? Christine will be setting up a Paypal account, and she wants to to place a Paypal donate button. I don't use Paypal, so don't know how. What code do I need to get this done?
Have them login to the account, then visit
Code:
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick-donations-factory
<< this helps them set-up the button and gives them the code :)

I may be mistaken, but I believe (as that is a US PayPal account URL), that if they are not using a US PayPal account, it will auto-redirect.

Last edited:
•••
Apollo, after she has an account and visits the link above by maximum then she'll land on a page to fill out some info fields. In the exact order, they are:

- Donation Name/Service:

- Donation ID/Number:

- Donation Amount: (Can be left blank if you want to accept any amounts)

- Currency: (May choose one of the below)
* Canadian Dollar
* Euro
* Pound Sterling
* U.S. Dollar
* Yen
* Australian Dollar

- Buyer's Country: (Optional)

- Then you can choose the PayPal button that you want to use or you can enter the link to a custom button that you'd like to use.

- You can choose to encrypt your button code or not to encrypt it

*You can then choose "Add More Options" and it will take you to the second page with the following optional fields you may fill out:

- Successful Payment URL: (Optional, This is where you can direct them after they've made a donation)

- Cancel Payment URL: (Optional, You can redirect them to a page if they've cancelled the donation and didn't go through with it.)

- You can choose to require their shipping address or make it optional (Optional)

- Choose yes or no to allow a comment field on the donate page (Optional)

Then once you've got everything filled out you can preview it or click "Create Button Now". It will generate the code for you and all you have to do is copy and paste it into your website where ever she'd like the button to appear. It's all very simple and doesn't take longer than a few minutes to setup.

If Christine needs any help with it, then let me know as I'd be more than happy to help. :)

All the Best,
Chris

•••
Chris - took the words right out of my mouth :tu:

•••
If I simply copy the paypal donate code from someone's site, and substitute Christine's Paypal details, that should work, right?

•••
My sister-in-law has sent my e-mail of this post out to a friend who knows around 500 Filipinos, so hopefully some of them will follow through.

•••
armstrong said:
If I simply copy the paypal donate code from someone's site, and substitute Christine's Paypal details, that should work, right?
Generally, yes. Just try it...See what shows-up on the actual PayPal page, after you click sample button.

•••
Apollo, I've went through and have generated the button code for you to edit and paste onto the site:

Note: When you copy and paste, move the lines up that's went down to the second line (return, cancel_return, image) so they are all together with the rest of their code for that line. This page isn't wide enough so they shifted down to the next line...
<form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
<input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_xclick">
<input type="hidden" name="business" value="[email protected]">
<input type="hidden" name="item_name" value="Christine Pechera">
<input type="hidden" name="item_number" value="Christine">
<input type="hidden" name="return" value="http://www.christinepechera.com/thanks.html">
<input type="hidden" name="cancel_return" value="http://www.christinepechera.com/cancel.html">
<input type="hidden" name="cn" value="Personal Note">
<input type="hidden" name="currency_code" value="USD">
<input type="hidden" name="tax" value="0">
<input type="hidden" name="bn" value="PP-DonationsBF">
<input type="image" src="https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/btn/x-click-but21.gif" border="0" name="submit" alt="Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!">
</form>
Here's the fields you'll want to modify:

"business" - Change to her PayPal email address.

"item_name" - You can put a name such as the "Christine Pechera Fund" or whatever you'd like as it will show up on the page once someone clicks the button to donate.

"item_number" - I've put Christine, but you can modify it to what you'd like.

"return" - This is the page they will be redirected to after they've made a donation. You can modify it to where ever the "thank you" page will be.

"cancel_return" - This is where they'll be redirected to if they start the donation, but they hit the cancel button. You could direct them to a page and ask why they've cancelled and let them know any amount will help.

"cn" - This text will be prefilled in for the comments field. I've got "Personal Note" now, but you can change it to anything.

"image" - That's the link to the button graphic. I just did the first button, but I've included an attached screenshot of your other choices and the urls are below for each one to change it if you want a different one. Also you can create your own button for the site as well and change the link to point to yours.

- First Button > https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/btn/x-click-but21.gif
- Second Button > https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/btn/x-click-butcc-donate.gif
- Third Button > https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/btn/x-click-but04.gif
- Fourth Button > https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/btn/x-click-but11.gif

Those button links are in the same order as the screenshot below. Just pick the one you want and change it to that link from above. Or create your own.

•••
I found out 30 minutes ago that my mom died a few hours ago... cancer... 6 years...

It's tough... good luck.

•••
Chris, thanks for your help. Paypal is now onsite.

Taylor, sorry to hear about your mom. How old was she?

•••
She was about 46 I think.

I'm 16 and my sister is 13... she took it better than I did. She found out 30 minutes ago... somebody phoned our house the very second it came out of my aunts mouth... now that pissed me off.

•••
•••
Taylor Hewitt,

Sorry for your loss. Prayers and thoughts are with you.

•••
I went through 5 pages of fillipino groups on myspace posting a message, hopefully somebody with more time can get through more, there is 121 pages after searching!

•••
Thanks guys. This topic isn't about me though so you know... help armstrong!

•••
Got a reply on one of the fillipino forums:

"I saw this on the news. And I have been trying to find out more about it so thankyou.

•••
I'm not filipino but I will be praying for your cousin.

•••
armstrong said:
Paypal is now onsite.
Apollo,
For those in charge of that PayPal account... I sent a donation a few days ago, but in my PayPal account it still shows that donation as 'unclaimed'?

Rob

•••
Hope you find a donor soon

•••
Aw..I do not know any Filipino.. But my prayers and Good wishes be always there with her... HOpe she will be Better soon!!

GOD BLESS YOU!

•••
Hello Rob,

Thanks for the donation! I'll check with Christine about this. She's new to Paypal, and I don't have access to her Paypal to help. Anyway, could you PM me the email address you sent it from?

Regards,

Apollo

Prosperous said:
Apollo,
For those in charge of that PayPal account... I sent a donation a few days ago, but in my PayPal account it still shows that donation as 'unclaimed'?

Rob

•••
Taylor Hewitt said:
I found out 30 minutes ago that my mom died a few hours ago... cancer... 6 years...

It's tough... good luck.

May her sould rest in peace and my thoughts are with you and your family
and her friends... I am sure she is now at a better place...

Keep your chin up and try to smile, I am sure she wanted you to do that.

with respect,

Faisj

docsharp said:
I'm not filipino but I will be praying for your cousin.

Buddy, it does not matter if you are filipino or not..

I think any prayer, no matter where you are from, what religion you have
would be a great help!

(and so in your way I think your post and prayer makes you a great person
as well. Between all these people (angels) who are working so hard to help
someone they don't even know.)

To all who posted here: If there were more people like you in the world
The world would be such a better place!!! - You guys are great!!! -

Last edited:
•••
Taylor Hewitt said:

It's tough... good luck.

God Bless you and yours.

Our prayers and best wishes for you Taylor. I met my father at age 42 he then passed Six monthes later. I've never waisted more time and energy than that of blind hatred and self pitty.
(Kimmies Selfeffacing.com comes to mind)

Love "yours" today like there is no tomorrow. Sometimes.....there is no tomorrow.

namenut

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back