NameSilo

advice [Urgent Help Needed] Registrar Cancelled Its Accreditation with ICANN

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

nitg16

Top Member
Impact
Hello,

I have been using a domain name for my developed website for last 8 years. The name was registered with rather an obscure registrar. Today I received an email from this registrar:

"We have cancelled our accreditation with ICANN on 5th Apr 2018 and will now continue to provide our services through PDR Ltd. d/b/a PublicDomainRegistry.com. All domain names under us have now been transferred over to PDR LTD. Please review Registrar PDR’s Terms of Service at https://publicdomainregistry.com/legal/ . If you do not agree to these terms, you may transfer your domain name to another Registrar."

I have never transferred a name before but now I want to transfer this domain to either GoDaddy or Namesilo. My biggest issue with transfer is the possible downtime associated with it.

Is it possible to carry over DNS settings to a new registrar without any downtime? I am mainly talking here about A Records, CNAME Records and TXT Records. How long does a typical transfer process take?

The domain name is extremely valuable to me and I don't trust current registrar or PDR, so I want to transfer out.

Update: Just called the current registrar support executive and he is saying that they have only changed the registry and It will not affect my domains. But at the same time they are specifically telling me that they are not accredited with ICANN anymore and using PDR now. What does that mean?

When I asked them if they are a reseller now, they are denying it. They just keep telling me that they have moved their backend from ICANN to PDR without any explanation. Am I missing something here? What does moving from ICANN to PDR means?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not saying that you should or shouldn't move your domain out but PDR *is* an ICANN accredited registrar.

Also, regarding your main question, I think it's better to contact the support of the registrar of your choosing (I'd go with namesilo or dynadot personally) and get them to help you with any technical inquiries.

•••
Another confusing thing support executive said is that "PDR is not an ICANN accredited registrar and they have their own backend". What does that mean?

PDR website mentions that they are accredited with ICANN and they appear in ICANN's list of accredited registrars.

Last edited:
•••
Probably using Alpnames now.

•••
You can and should transfer out. That said, your nameservers will be carried over. Your DNS zone information? I doubt but I'm not sure of that. Check with NS support and they'll be able to help you.

Ps. if you don't mind, can you disclose the name of the current registrar who gave up/lost their accredition ?

•••
The answer depends on whether you're relying on your current registrar's nameservers or not. If you're a 3rd party DNS provider (e.g. Amazon Route 53, EasyDNS, DNSMadeEasy, etc.), then the DNS records (A records, CNAME, MX email records, etc.) wouldn't be affected by the change in registrar.

If the DNS is being provided using the default nameservers from your registrar, then there's a risk that they'll terminate the resolution of the domain (A records, CNAME, MX, etc.) once you're no longer their customer (i.e. during/after the transfer out). To avoid this negative scenario, it's best to make sure you are using a 3rd party DNS provider before you transfer to a different registrar.

Domain transfers can take from anywhere from minutes (if the "losing" registrar approves the transfer immediately), to 6 days (the transfer goes through automatically at that point, if the transfer isn't approved/rejected within that time by the losing registrar, assuming the correct EPP code was used when the transfer was initiated). Those are timeframes for com/net/org (might be slightly different for other TLDs).

•••
The answer depends on whether you're relying on your current registrar's nameservers or not. If you're a 3rd party DNS provider (e.g. Amazon Route 53, EasyDNS, DNSMadeEasy, etc.), then the DNS records (A records, CNAME, MX email records, etc.) wouldn't be affected by the change in registrar.

If the DNS is being provided using the default nameservers from your registrar, then there's a risk that they'll terminate the resolution of the domain (A records, CNAME, MX, etc.) once you're no longer their customer (i.e. during/after the transfer out). To avoid this negative scenario, it's best to make sure you are using a 3rd party DNS provider before you transfer to a different registrar.

Domain transfers can take from anywhere from minutes (if the "losing" registrar approves the transfer immediately), to 6 days (the transfer goes through automatically at that point, if the transfer isn't approved/rejected within that time by the losing registrar, assuming the correct EPP code was used when the transfer was initiated). Those are timeframes for com/net/org (might be slightly different for other TLDs).
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I am using my current registrar's default nameservers.

I am in touch with another registrar where I plan to move my domain. They are allowing me to use their own nameservers on my current registrar before initiating transfer. If I am thinking correctly, this should more or less ensure a zero downtime.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
•••
If this is an active, developed domain, in what context are you using the registrar's DNS?

Developed = hosted with custom DNS or shared DNS provided by the web host.

IMO you should move it away from the current registrar and PDR, to a more global, established domain registrar.

•••
I think they are using the Orderbox/LogicBoxes system(correct me if I'm wrong) with their ICANN accredited infomation, so everything maintained by the Orderbox/LogicBoxes the only update came in is the name change in Registrar field. so i belive eveything will be the same as it is now.

I already faced this in the past(de-accreditated from ICANN and Moved to PDR) but the registrar clearly explained the situation.

Q1:Will there be a change to the customer control panel and storefront?

No. You will manage the domain as you currently do now. No changes will be there in your domain control panel / storefront for you as a reseller or a customer.

Q2:Do I as a customer or reseller should do anything from my side?
No, you do not have to do anything in this process.

The respective registries, are expected to complete all the process by 25th October, 2017 and will perform the change of record. Note that during this modification the services of your domain name will not be affected in any way. Once it is completed, please check in your domain control panel and contact us in case of any support.

Hope it will help :)

Last edited:
•••
I think they are using the Orderbox/LogicBoxes system(correct me if I'm wrong) with their ICANN accredited infomation, so everything maintained by the Orderbox/LogicBoxes the only update came in is the name change in Registrar field. so i belive eveything will be the same as it is now.

I already faced this in the past(de-accreditated from ICANN and Moved to PDR) but the registrar clearly explained the situation.

Q1:Will there be a change to the customer control panel and storefront?

No. You will manage the domain as you currently do now. No changes will be there in your domain control panel / storefront for you as a reseller or a customer.

Q2:Do I as a customer or reseller should do anything from my side?
No, you do not have to do anything in this process.

The respective registries, are expected to complete all the process by 25th October, 2017 and will perform the change of record. Note that during this modification the services of your domain name will not be affected in any way. Once it is completed, please check in your domain control panel and contact us in case of any support.

Hope it will help :)
Did you face any problems after the move? Do you know how good/reliable is PDR?

•••
If this is an active, developed domain, in what context are you using the registrar's DNS?

Developed = hosted with custom DNS or shared DNS provided by the web host.

IMO you should move it away from the current registrar and PDR, to a more global, established domain registrar.
It's a hosted platform just like wordpress's own ad supported hosted platform. All I need to ensure is that my domain is correctly mapped to the suburl they have provided to me.

E.g. I have mapped blahblah.com to blahblah.wordpress.com using instructions provided by the service.

If this platform is unable to verify A Name, CNAME and TXT records, users typing blahblah.com will never reach my website (they can still access it via blahblah.wordpress.com because hosting itself is not affected). This is the only downtime I am talking about.

Last edited:
•••
If you need help send me a DM and I'll guide you through the process.

•••
If you need help send me a DM and I'll guide you through the process.
Thanks for the offer. I am in touch with NameSilo support. They have been extremely helpful and already explained me the process.

Last edited:
•••
Did you face any problems after the move? Do you know how good/reliable is PDR?

No issues, the service is same like before same interface, but with PDR you can't transfer domains fast. need to wait 5-7 days.

•••
No issues, the service is same like before same interface, but with PDR you can't transfer domains fast. need to wait 5-7 days.
During these 5-7 days, domain records will be affected or interrupted? Never transferred a domain before and don't have much idea about this stuff.

•••
During these 5-7 days, domain records will be affected or interrupted? Never transferred a domain before and don't have much idea about this stuff.

No they won't be interrupted.

•••
Domains won't be interrupted and the whois status changed to pending transfer for 5-7 days

•••
Thanks everyone for inputs. I have much more clarity now.

•••
I strongly recommend to transfer out all your domains in the "peace time". When your current registrar is not occupied with furious customer support emails, when your blog/website is not at the peak of its traffic.

Silently transfer to namesilo, and they will let you set the nameservers beforehand so that at no moment of time your website is not offline.
You can personally ask me everything about Namesilo features and/or transfer process, I am their old user and fan.

Hope it helps.

•••
You should always use a third-party DNS service anyway, not just for transfers.
My advice would be to set it up right now, test all the settings, make sure that the A, TXT etc records are in place and returning the responses expected, then you can switch the DNS without worrying about downtime, and then initiate the transfer.

As said above, the DNS service offered by the registrar is usually valid only as long as the domain is with them. Upon transfer all 'stale' records are supposed to be purged.

•••
Update

I have successfully completed transfer to NameSilo with zero downtime.

NameSilo allows users to pre-configure DNS records before authorising transfer. This page explains the process clearly.

I am listing all the steps that I followed below (This is just an unofficial guide, I can't be held responsible if anything goes wrong on your side. You should use official NameSilo help documents or contact NameSilo support).
  1. Unlock the domain and obtain EPP code from your current registrar.
  2. Purchase transfer at NameSilo with EPP code.
  3. IMPORTANT: DO NOT CLICK ON TRANSFER AUTHORISATION LINK IN EMAIL FROM NAMESILO YET.
  4. Add your desired DNS records to your domain using "Setup Custom DNS Records" option in "Transfer Manager" on NameSilo. Make sure that all records are correct as per your requirement.
  5. Add NameSilo's default nameservers in domain settings at your current registrar. You can get these nameserver values in the page I linked above.
  6. YOU CAN NOW CLICK ON THE TRANSFER AUTHORISATION LINK IN EMAIL FROM NAMESILO.
  7. Now just wait for 5 days for your current registrar to authorise the transfer. Some registrars allows faster transfer authorisation. In case there is no action from your registrar within these 5 days, transfer is automatically authorised.
  8. Once transfer is authorised, domain will be moved to your NameSilo account within 48 hours.
  9. Since you have all DNS records and nameservers pre-configured, there won't be any downtime after successful transfer.
I am really impressed by NameSilo as a registrar. Their transfer manager is really good, comes with lots of configurable options and a detailed log on transfer process is provided. The entire process was smooth and seamless.

My only gripe would be better a looking and mobile optimised interface. Otherwise they are one of the best registrars, better than so called Daddy of all registrars.

Last edited:
•••
Hello,

I don't Recommend PDR anymore, they join into the expired domain auction queue, [Normally Autorenew period exist for 45 days there after domains enter into 30 day Redemption period],before i left some domains 30-40 days after expired and then renew within auto renew period but today I Lost one domain, going to transfer out my 30+domains to a reliable registrar,

and this is their Response

"Please note that you get 36 days to renew the domain after which the domain enters the "Queued For Deletion" phase which lasts for 6 days where you will still be able to renew the domain but there is a possibility of the domain getting back ordered and you will lose the ownership of the domain.

Since you failed to renew the domain name within the renewal grace period, the domain name was back ordered by a third party vendor.

Do let us know if you have any further queries."

They never notified about this policy update and never notified before/after 36 days.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back