Dynadot

Unwanted Afternic listing request

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Kuffy

Name StagTop Member
Impact
You are receiving this email as a result of the Afternic listing process being invoked through an Afternic account, on domain wiseaccountant.com. A listing on this domain has just been attempted.

I've just received this email, and I wonder if this is common, or what is going on. I don't use afternic, I don't have an account with them, and I don't want to sell this name. I haven't initiated any requests. Is it common for them to try to solicit entries for their sales lista?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've got an account with Sedo, but I don't seem to get on with them, and they seem to assume that I like Euros. I'm a strong Brexit supporter, and Euros are useless to me.

I'm happy to sell directly via email,Name Pros or a sales request through one of my sites. I've got quite a few names listed on the Name Silo market place, and I feel comfortable with Domain Agents. I don't really want to deal with anybody else, as I've got quite enough admin work to do without having to monitor a bunch of services that can't monitor their clients.

•••
He's now listing mine at $15,000, and my current BIN is $10,000. I reckon he is listing names at higher prices, and, if he makes a sale, then he buys the name through NS for immediate transfer, and then sells it on.

I wonder what would happen if I claimed my name at Afternic, and waited for him to buy my name and pay for it before cancelling my purchase. :)

•••
He's now listing mine at $15,000, and my current BIN is $10,000. I reckon he is listing names at higher prices, and, if he makes a sale, then he buys the name through NS for immediate transfer, and then sells it on.

I wonder what would happen if I claimed my name at Afternic, and waited for him to buy my name and pay for it before cancelling my purchase. :)
Reverse arbitrage :xf.grin:

•••
•••
I'm a bit ambivalent about this. After all, the name is up for sale, and I'd be happy to pay a reasonable brokerage commission for a sale. The guy is getting some exposure for the name, and I would have thought that any potential buyer would see if the name resolves - that would take him to a sales landing page at a lower price. As long as the name doesn't get transferred without me getting any payment, I think I'm happy to leave the listing alone.

•••
There are some "super-sellers" on afternic who can list names without requiring whois verification. These listings can override existing listings by the actual domain owner. Perhaps this is one of those cases

•••
If you email [email protected] you can get the listings removed. That is your best bet if you wan to sell the domains, you can list them in your account so you get notified about them.

•••
If you email [email protected] you can get the listings removed. That is your best bet if you wan to sell the domains, you can list them in your account so you get notified about them.
My understanding is that @Kuffy does not even have an afternic account. So why should she/he bother to email service@afternic and more importantly, how are the domaisn even being listed/published without @Kuffy's approval?

•••
My understanding is that @Kuffy does not even have an afternic account. So why should she/he bother to email service@afternic and more importantly, how are the domaisn even being listed/published without @Kuffy's approval?

Exactly.

On reflection, I'm happy to leave the name listed there, as it gives it some exposure, and if the guy who listed it can make a profit by reselling then name, then good luck to him, as long as he pays my BIN price of course.

•••
Exactly.

On reflection, I'm happy to leave the name listed there, as it gives it some exposure, and if the guy who listed it can make a profit by reselling then name, then good luck to him, as long as he pays my BIN price of course.

Indeed. But is this a good model? How can another user successfully list a domain that they do not know (It pisses me off that Afternic keeps domains that I own under review for weeks on end)

•••
Indeed. But is this a good model? How can another user successfully list a domain that they do not own (It pisses me off that Afternic keeps domains that I own under review for weeks on end)

It puts me off using them directly.

Last edited:
•••
But is this a good model? How can another user successfully list a domain that they do not know
Typo above. Please read know = own in the comment above.

Thanks

•••
It was an interesting typo. If surfers or buyers don't "know" a name, then they won't buy it. That is why I think that it's handy to get maximum exposure for the availability of the name. The confusion and problems seem to occur when a name is listed for sale on various sites with a BIN.

I list names for sale with Name Silo, and if someone claims a name and pays the BIN, then the name is removed from my account, and I lose control. If I think the price of a name is negotiablewith an indeterminate ceiling, then it's best to avoid using a BIN price.

•••
It is not a smart idea to allow someone else to list a domain name you own for sale. You should control your own sales listings. Listing names you do not own is against our terms of service.

•••
@Joe Styler I received hundreds of these requests and I simply ignored them thinking it wouldn't list the domains for sale. Now I see a lot of my names are listed under this model, in fact, this person has figured out a way to list 26,000 domains he clearly does NOT own under his account.

https://www.afternic.com/sholiviks

If this person continues to do this, what recourse can you take to block him? This is unacceptable.

•••
It is not a smart idea to allow someone else to list a domain name you own for sale

From the thread, it appears to be a coincidence that @Kuffy found out about the afternic listing. What if a domain owner does not realize that their owned domain is listed on afternic? Especially if they do NOT even have an afternic account?

You should control your own sales listings.
How is one supposed to control their own sales listing if they are not aware that it is listed somewhere? And why should the onus be on the domain owner? Here, Afternic is at fault for even allowing the listing in the first place.

Listing names you do not own is against our terms of service.
Then why do you allow it? Especially egregious cases such as the current thread?

And what happens when such a name sells (Again, to repeat, @Kuffy does not have an account with Afternic). Who loses trust here? AFAICT, it is afternic which loses the buyer's trust

•••
Scumbag has no issues passing the buck, hoping for swift action here.

gpuKVkg.png

•••
Afternic has some "super users" and they let them do what they want... from what I've read.

•••
@Joe Styler I received hundreds of these requests and I simply ignored them thinking it wouldn't list the domains for sale. Now I see a lot of my names are listed under this model, in fact, this person has figured out a way to list 26,000 domains he clearly does NOT own under his account.

https://www.afternic.com/sholiviks

If this person continues to do this, what recourse can you take to block him? This is unacceptable.
You can email [email protected] and they can look into this for you.

•••
From the thread, it appears to be a coincidence that @Kuffy found out about the afternic listing. What if a domain owner does not realize that their owned domain is listed on afternic? Especially if they do NOT even have an afternic account?

How is one supposed to control their own sales listing if they are not aware that it is listed somewhere? And why should the onus be on the domain owner? Here, Afternic is at fault for even allowing the listing in the first place.

Then why do you allow it? Especially egregious cases such as the current thread?

And what happens when such a name sells (Again, to repeat, @Kuffy does not have an account with Afternic). Who loses trust here? AFAICT, it is afternic which loses the buyer's trust
This person is aware that their domain is listed. He should give us the name so we can take care of it and he can list it himself. We do various checks on domains that are listed and we do take action against people selling domains they do not own.

•••
It is not a smart idea to allow someone else to list a domain name you own for sale. You should control your own sales listings. Listing names you do not own is against our terms of service.

It's not my sales listing, it's yours, and I think you should control your sales listings. :)

For me - a prospective buyer sees my name, and decides to buy it. Probably the first thing he will do is to see what's on the site. He finds that Name Silo is offering the name for $5,000 less, and he wonders what is going on. A quick check of the whois show that NS is the registrar. Now who would you deal with? I would go to the owner's registrar, and buy it at 2/3 of the price. I would also tell my friends that Afternic appears to exploit buyers by inflating the price of names they find on other market places.

•••
It's unacceptable behavior, anyone that places themselves in between you and your assets without authorization should be considered a thief.
You can email [email protected] and they can look into this for you.

I just spent the last hour doing this, not happy about having to do this in order to prove I didn't list the names. This user should be banned immediately and never allowed to open a new account.

•••
I won't bother to write, as I stated, I'm happy for the exposure, and I expect Name Silo is as well.

In fact I can provide a couple of hundred names that they can list to help Name Silo to sell for me. I think it's a great free service. :)

•••
@namesilo
I've received a pm from a member alerting me to a couple of facts, and I'm grateful for that.

Perhaps NameSilo could clarify my position with them as a result of this. Had I placed the listing with AfterNic, I may have been in breach of my agreement with NS. However, I have never had any contact with Afternic, and certain would not allow my name to be sold through their service whilst it was listed with NS as an active sale.

•••
What is much more likely to occur is someone will see the listing with us and contact us to buy the domain. We will then discover the name cannot be delivered to the buyer and take action against the seller and inform the buyer the name cannot be sold - because as far as we know it cannot. At which time we will let the buyer know their options for other names we have available from other customers that are similar to the one they were interested in.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back