NameSilo

Unusual First Names of Zimbabwean African People

Located in The Break Room started by GILSAN, Sep 24, 2013.

Replies:
Views:

1. GILSAN

GILSAN Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

ZIMBABWE NAMES

Around the middle of the 20th century many Zimbabwe (at the time the country was an English colony called Rhodesia) African parents began to give their new born babies very unusual English first names, a tradition that still continues today.

The list of names below is real and belongs to mostly well known personalities in Zimbabwe (politicians, soccer players, artists, as well as ordinary people).

Today in Africa, the first and most famous name that comes to my mind that would fit really nicely into the relatively short list below, would be of Goodluck Jonathan, the President of Nigeria

Marvellous Mhlanga-Nyahuye
    Lovemore Matombo
    Blessing Tendi
    Saviour Kasukuwere
    Sixpence Dlamini
    Evidence Manyere
    Patience Rusere
    Fortune Mpofu
    Blade Nzimande
    Prince Chauke
    Biggie Chitoro
    Admire Mukorera
    Trymore Simango
    Smile Dabengwa
    Surprise Moriri
    Trust Mudzuri
    Learnmore Jongwe
    Jealousy Mawarire
    Canaan Banana
    Silence Chihuri
    Kindness Paradza
    Gift Muchinguri
    Hope Sadza
    Memory Shiriinorira
    Hopewell Chinono
    Talent Mabika
    Prosper Mutseyami
    Witness Masunda
    Precious Chidhuku
    Brilliant Dube
    Clever Bere
    Shepherd Mutamba
    Passionate Chiedza
    Godknows Dzoro Mtshakazi
    Okay Mabhena
    Moreblessing Tirivangani
    Settlement Chikwinya
    Choice Ndoro
    Fashion Phiri
    Perseverance Rufaro
    Prosper Ncube
    Praisegod Sibongile
    Givemore Manuella
    Gift Makolonio
    Method Mwanyazi
    Limited Chicafa
    Danger Fourpence
    Have-a-look Dube
    Clever Muzuva
    Sunday Bhekizwe
    Heavens Chinyama
    Heavy Weight Utaunashe
    Democracy Muguti
    Released Results Matongo
    Runoff Vuyani
    Polling Station Nhamoinesu
    Ballot Box Makhosi

The last 5 names were from a Zimbabwe maternity records list showing some strange names given to new born babies during and after an election period.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. NPer

NPer Very Allergic to CURRY PRO VIP

haha... that is an interesting list.

There are other names which I came across which are not English, nor African!! Completely meaningless.

There was a guy I knew during my high school days whose name was La-bubble-yo. Seriously-exactly like that. The only guy on the planet to have that name. It has no meaning-he even told us that.And imagine-that was his name!!

And then there were others whose parents named them a made-up name ONLY because they thought it sounded Middle-eastern, and they were not Middle-eastern at all, nor did they even look like itt. The name was non-existent, and they were not of Middle-eastern descent.

For some guys in Southern Africa, it's about how it sounds, rather than it's meaning.

Plenty of people in Africa suffer from a very complicated identity crisis. It affects them really bad.

3. twomoon

twomoon Amat victoria curam PRO VIP Trusted Contest Holder ★★★★★★★★★★

When I saw that list first, I thought it''s an Domain Appraisal section :) Some similar ideas lol

4. GILSAN

I used to have a list that was at least 8-10 longer, of these types of unusual but interesting names, but I lost it when my hard disk crashed a few years back and I lost a lot of info.

5. south

south Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

One the kids therapists was named "Innocent". He was from Trinidad if I remember correctly.

Gotta also wonder about Sixpence. Did he/she come from the local 5 & dime?

6. GILSAN

When Zimbabwe was a British Colony (Rhodesia) the currency was Pounds, Shillings and Pence.
    12 pence = 1 shilling
    20 shillings = 1 Pound (£)

There were 1, 3 and 6 pence coins.... that's were the idea of the name Sixpence came from

7. domainbartender

domainbartender Your name server since 2008. VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Some of those names are beautiful! There are only a couple in there that I dislike.

8. sephirotica

sephirotica Established Member

Isn't Hope a usual name? Female tho but still XD

Few years back there was a surge of unusual names in Bosnia (that's where i live) as well

Two of the most memorable are
    Plavo Nebo (literally means blue sky, no special meaning or anything, no symbolic and an utterly unique name)
    Radost (translates into Joy in English and although Joy is a common name in USA and other English-speaking parts of the world, name Radost is completely unique and very robust to pronounce)

9. victor wondu

victor wondu New Member

I remember reading an article about some legal case in Zimbabwe, the lawyer's first name was "Innocent"!

10. GILSAN

LOL... Just imagine if his client's name was called "Guilty". In Zimbabwe the possibility of that happening would be very high.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice