IT.COM

strategy Unlock valuable social media accounts

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

redemo

Mug RuithTop Member
Impact
Ever researched a domain name and found the Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter or YouTube account already claimed but not updated for 10 years? Well I recently bought a domain name and tested something. After purchase I created a catch-all e-mail account then sent a password reset request to Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter or YouTube. Four of them failed but one succeeded and I was able to claim a valuable social media account. Valuable because it has over 5000 followers and is a very popular hash-tag. It's hit and miss but you might want to try it and see if you get lucky. Cheers.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Ever researched a domain name and found the Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter or YouTube account already claimed but not updated for 10 years? Well I recently bought a domain name and tested something. After purchase I created a catch-all e-mail account then sent a password reset request to Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter or YouTube. Four of them failed but one succeeded and I was able to claim a valuable social media account. Valuable because it has over 5000 followers and is a very popular hash-tag. It's hit and miss but you might want to try it and see if you get lucky. Cheers.
That sounds like theft actually. Even if an account is inactive, it is not your account to take.
The fact you took an account that had 5000 followers via password reset makes it even worse.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I've had social media accounts stolen. There is a process you can use to regain control of the account so the original owner may take it back.

Google stores information on your hd to identify which computer you are using to login with so this would not work for G accounts.

•••
This is literally unethical account theft, not some great domaining strategy.

•••
Unethical? Maybe. But if a social media account is using an email address with a domain that was left to expire and hasn’t been updated in ages, then it’s the original owners responsibility to update said social media account. Otherwise, if you control the domain under which the account is registered, there’s nothing stopping you from gaining control of said account.

•••
Unethical? Maybe. But if a social media account is using an email address with a domain that was left to expire and hasn’t been updated in ages, then it’s the original owners responsibility to update said social media account. Otherwise, if you control the domain under which the account is registered, there’s nothing stopping you from gaining control of said account.
That's a bunch of BS. You could say the same about other accounts all over the place.

Hey, it was using the email of a domain that expired...therefore I am entitled to it.

Where is the line? Can I steal someone's YouTube account because their domain expired?

Not only is this unethical, it is quite possibly illegal. It is not your property to transfer.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I have to agree, this is a pretty sleazy thing to do. At best you could be on the hook (read: sued) for hijacking a social media account. I wouldn't be shocked either if "one" would be banned from such a site for violating TOS, or worse.

•••
This can only work on Instagram because they don't ask for email address when you're trying to reset your password. They just send the request to the associated email address. But then, the person must be using an email address that ends with your domain before you can receive the mail.

The other social media won't work as you need to provide the email address linked to the account whose password you're trying to restore.

•••
The other social media won't work as you need to provide the email address linked to the account whose password you're trying to restore.

Except (I think) you could harvest that email by creating a catch-all. No? Yes?

Last edited:
•••
Creating a catch-all email is useless if you can't provide the exact email address that was used in the first place.

•••
Absolutely unethical. The fact that you found a key doesn't entitle you to the house and making it yours, even if it's abandoned.

Last edited:
•••
I honestly doubt it would be hard to figure out what the email might be.

@redemo a real one for this

•••
I honestly doubt it would be hard to figure out what the email might be.

@redemo a real one for this

FB, Twitter, etc., send updates and notices by email. It's not rocket science.

•••
Absolutely unethical. The fact that you found a key doesn't entitle you to the house and making it yours, even if it's abandoned.
Actually, if a home is abandoned for a long period of time, someone can move in and legally claim it if they know how to work the law...

•••
FB, Twitter, etc., send updates and notices by email. It's not rocket science.
Yes, I know, but to figure out what SM accounts are linked to which emails it the hard part.

•••
Translation:
I was following a rich man and wait to see if he drops the wallet or the house key so I can see what he has in the wallet and the house.
Finally he dropped the key. Am I lucky?

Actually it's Identity theft as you pretend to be somebody else.

Last edited:
•••
Yes, I know, but to figure out what SM accounts are linked to which emails it the hard part.
Why? Catch-all email address will show the original email, when you get a notice or solicitation, you request a new password.

•••
Sheesh Redemo. Clever, but just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I think something like this will come back to bite you in the end. Revealing post on one's integrity, imo. This really sets a bad example of a professional domainer.

•••
Translation:
I was following a rich man and wait to see if he drops the wallet or the house key so I can see what he has in the wallet and the house.
Finally he dropped the key. Am I lucky?

Actually it's Identity theft as you pretend to be somebody else.

Probably not a legal identity and it's easy enough to change the contact information associated with the account.

The original owner can always file a complaint, show proof of what happened and you will get the account back. I've had an account on twitter and two accounts on fb stolen, a single email was all it took to get them back.

•••
It is the property of the social media site not even the user. The user cannot sell their account either read the terms.

•••
After purchase I created a catch-all e-mail account then sent a password reset request...
Sounds like me renewing a bunch of old domains trying to recover bitcoin from around 2010

•••
Sounds like me renewing a bunch of old domains trying to recover bitcoin from around 2010

v clever mate

I'd post an emoji if I could figure out how. Thank you forum update!

😆 (I got lucky.)

Last edited:
•••
Sounds like a lot of legal liability to me tbh. But you do you in case you lack any common sense and ethics.

Next up, how to steal a domain by registering an expired domain and takeover the owner email address....

•••
Next up, how to steal a domain by registering an expired domain and takeover the owner email address....

Huh? Is that sarcasm, or what?

But, what are the ethics of profiting hugely off expired names by their registrars, or primarily one single dominant registrar? Millions upon millions of dollars -- continuous guaranteed windfall!

•••
Redemo: Please, Please seriously consider removing yourself from those accounts. And let us know if you did. I know I will respect you tremendously for doing so. You clearly are brilliant, having the skills to gain access to these accounts. But your great wisdom may better be used elsewhere.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back