IT.COM

discuss Any Social Media Name Investors?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

larryscott2559

Restricted (Market)
Impact
I think domainers missed out investing in social media account handles. Technically it's against most of the platform rules but it's still being done. I acquired an Instagram 1 word name for $1200. The perks of owning these types of names is people often tag you a lot whether by accident or knowingly and you have greater presence on the platform (this is true for Twitter and Instagram especially)

Im trying to acquire another Instagram name now but these names are typically owned by youngsters and they don't always reply back. Twitter, Facebook and Instagram names are selling for $1,000 - $3,000. Just curious if anyone have invested in them.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What marketplaces are active/useful or where are you hearing about offers? Is it just about the handle? Or also taking over the account, followers and all?

•••
What marketplaces are active/useful or where are you hearing about offers? Is it just about the handle? Or also taking over the account, followers and all?

It's mainly just about the handle names but its just easier to take over the account (in fear of losing the name altogether while transferring it). Social media users always for some reason tag 1 & 2 word (keyword) account names. The account I acquired gets tagged daily on top of people asking for promotions and advertisement. I just put a sign up link in the bio recently and so far collected close to 300 emails (3 - 4 people sign up daily and I haven't posted in a month)

Anyways there's a marketplace for Instagram there's OGusers.com and another OG something website, I forget. Some also sell on ebay (actually where I acquired mines). The names on ebay mostly suck though. For twitter im not aware of any marketplaces. People just direct message each other.

These are young kids that own most of these, i wouldn't expect too much professionalism.

Some links you might want to read:

https://www.wired.com/2010/09/israel-twitter/

https://techcrunch.com/2009/04/15/confirmed-cnn-acquires-cnnbrk-twitter-account/

•••
I always try to get the Twitter handle to match a domain purchase or reg. I always at least do basic dev on that profile with a logo, etc and add the domain. With Pinterest, FB, and Google, this is a little more difficult to do as you have to jump through all kinds of hoops just to get that vanity URL. Sometimes that's not really worth it.

Lean Domain Search tells you if the Twitter handle is available for a domain in their search results, and I think that's pretty neat.

EDIT - I'm not purchasing, I register a new acct for this - one more reason to have an "umbrella" domain for multiple email addresses.... ;)

Last edited:
•••
Didn’t they require a phone number for each account? How do you get many phone numbers?

•••
Domains allow you to conduct your own business. A social network can't take away that suddenly.

As you stated it is against the ToS. Accounts often get shutdown for violations. There are countless stories of people losing massive resources, time, and effort when this happens.

Technically it's against most of the platform rules but it's still being done.

Smarter to put resources and mindshare into your own website.

Appreciate you sharing your sharing your experiences though. Have you made money off these generic handles?

•••
Domains allow you to conduct your own business. A social network can't take away that suddenly.

As you stated it is against the ToS. Accounts often get shutdown for violations. There are countless stories of people losing massive resources, time, and effort when this happens.

Smarter to put resources and mindshare into your own website.

Appreciate you sharing your sharing your experiences though. Have you made money off these generic handles?

Yeah, Im asking if domainers are investing or have invested in social media names, because people like me (that own businesses) prefer to acquire these brandable @names especially if its a one word or two word name. So no I don't invest in them, im a buyer of them for business. Many businesses are doing it. Casey Neistat (famous Youtuber) wife has a business called "Billy" . She was using " @ something billy" for a username. Then she acquired @Billy (this is on Instagram)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back