IT.COM

discuss Unetical business practises

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

djum

Top Member
Impact
For the time been at this forum I've noticed that most forum member are being honest and trustful.
But not everyone. What do you think, when you see some sellers trying to pump the auction by posting information that is not true, such as:

1. Posting not liquid domains into liquid category
2. Stating that some domain group was bought out, when it's still available for regfee.
3. Stating that the domain is Chinese premium, when it has letter V in it.
4. Stating that they received higher offer that they really had.
5. Saying that the floor price is one number, and at the same time selling their own domains cheaper than that

What do you think about this, is it acceptable or not?
What actions can we take, to prevent this violations, especially when this shady lies posted in sale threads and people who've been caught lying trying to delete your posts ASAP?
May be we should have a special thread to report links to all bullshit auctions or something?

Share your opinion.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Points from 1 to 3 are pretty easy to catch and take actions on.
4 and 5 are somewhat of not being able to detect easily as there are many variables and pieces of information.

•••
Points from 1 to 3 are pretty easy to catch and take actions on.
4 and 5 are somewhat of not being able to detect easily as there are many variables and pieces of information.
How about 2?

Here's is member claiming that all 5N.co are sold out, which is obviously not true, just plug in sample of random 500 domains into any bulk checker and you'll see this.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/15-6n-co-8888-888-lucky-numbers.893856/#post-5133770

My point is if you make statement, especially in sales thread it must be 100% true, otherwise it hurts your reputation.

•••
I think its more the lack of a standard than misrepresentation or outright lying. I also think you are expecting way to much from a seller. Everything a seller tells you should be independently verified anyway.

#1) What is a liquid domain to one person, isn't the same to another. Liquidity is subjective and there is no standard.
#2) It would depend, perhaps they just missed one, that's not really a big deal. besides, its always the buyers responsibility to validate the claims of a seller. So any buyer doing the proper due diligence would see that there is no sellout and offer accordingly.
#3) Honestly,I have seen all kinds of things called Chinese premium. While lately it seems to be pretty well defined, there is no governing body that proclaims what is and isn't. So again it comes down to definition.
#4) This is a standard sales technique in any business, nothing wrong with it imo. A seller has no obligation to tell you anything about other buyers, and anything a seller says should be weighed accordingly. It's impossible to know if this has happened or not.
#5) again, just comes down to proper due diligence. And just because they opt to sell lower than an "ambiguous" floor price, is not anybody's business.

•••
My point is if you make statement, especially in sales thread it must be 100% true, otherwise it hurts your reputation.

That's the sellers problem and it only damages it with those who see it. There are thousands of other transactions that happen outside namepro and the sellers reputation isn't known. Its no big deal. if you know its not sold out, just don't buy what they are selling or offer less.

•••
I agree it can be frustrating to see, and have seen people use the word "premium" for things like "BananaCarpetEggs.biz". But who are we to say what is premium and what is not? I know there's an industry standard across major areas, like auctions, forums, and knowledgable traders. Such as "currently" V in a Chinese domain stops it being premium.

But this could change tomorrow, in fact today there are plenty of 5L sales with "V" in them for $xxx and $x,xxx, so based on what are they not premium? So $10 hand reg paid and sold for 20 or 30 times that in a few days, and a few months ago they were not even worth hand reg costs, so who decides if they are not premium? Maybe Joe thinks they are, and Bob does not, and Sue thinks they are premium and ones without "V" are super premium...

At the end of the day, if the buyer doesn't think it's premium then don't pay the premium price, or bid lower etc.

I posted an auction recently, a 5L with V in it and stated "premium", simply because I didn't know, and so was a genuine mistake. How do you handle cases like that? Name and shame me because I am not informed enough? Do I really need to know the market so well before I'm allowed to post?
I sold it for $35, so hardly got premium price, so what harm is done?
(I'm not being emotional, just discussing, hard to word that above without it sounding like I have a gripe :))

If you see someone clearly lying and someone being ripped off as a result, then perhaps it needs the mods to investigate, but while I see many "premium" and "worth thousands of dollars" when it is not true, I don't see people actually being "conned" by it.

As for less savvy people potentially being ripped off, I'd like to stop it, but fact of life this will happen regardless. However, with the things you listed being "visible" we know to avoid them and others can learn to avoid them, but if we stamped this out then their less than decent "tactics" would become invisible. Scams, made up bids received by PM, etc.

And less savvy folks should just do their homework, before believing "this is premium" or "you'll double you money". And with such things being visible, they can learn the same way I did, by seeing that people are not replying/bidding to such domain names, or see well established traders bid $10.

What actions can we take, to prevent this violations, especially when this shady lies posted in sale threads and people who've been caught lying trying to delete your posts ASAP?
That is different. I think if someone is clearly giving false info then it's likely against forum rules, and can be reported. But there is a fine line between "wrong/lie/shady" and "sales tactics".

•••
There isn't much that can be done by us members that see these things. It's up to whoever moderates a particular section to look over and take any actions on untrue statements. However, sometimes not everything is as easy to prove on paper. Take liquid for example, that term would be an opinion of one/some/etc. and hard to prove in some cases where it isn't obviously not true.

I think it's just up to the good sellers to keep their standards and hold their own self worth. I did an article on reputations on 1 of my sites a while back about sellers not honoring a "No Reserve" auction and not caring about their reputation, but just a dollar here and there.

As a seller, I say keep your standards and hold your reputation as a valuable commodity and don't sell out for a dollar now and lose out on more later because you aren't trusted the same as a completely honest and ethical seller.

P.S. Add to you list #6 Calling a domain brandable or pronounceable when it is just some screwed up crazy letter combination...

•••
I have seen many seller post. i have higher offer. like if a domain received an offer of $1000 Seller post Higher offer $2000 which seems unfair for that kind of domain. if the seller has really received offer of $2k than he should post it with proof.

•••
I think you have a lot to learn. :P

*waits to be called out for something awesome*

•••
I think you have a lot to learn. :P

*waits to be called out for something awesome*
Learning every day, and thanks for learning opportunities that you provide, Shane.

I learned a lot about the dirty side of domain business from your Flippa thread, if you know what I mean.

•••
This is going to sound very ironic considering I'm me... but be careful burning bridges in this industry. It doesn't always work out well.

•••
This is going to sound very ironic considering I'm me... but be careful burning bridges in this industry. It doesn't always work out well.
Thanks for advice, burning bridges was never in my plan.
This thread is about unethical business practices, btw.

•••
•••
Thanks for advice, burning bridges was never in my plan.

You're right, it's not your plan - but it's your life, how you live, and how you conduct yourself. So be it.

•••
According to DomainVP "LLNN's I justifiably wouldn't sell for any less than $10k." and it says about it right at the top, be careful reading :)

You're right, it's not your plan - but it's your life, how you live, and how you conduct yourself. So be it.
I feel better helping society of NP to uncover bad practices like this. To help people is perfectly fine conduct, I'll live with it.

If you believe that any of information above is not correct, tell us where we wrong.

•••
If you buy bananacreamirtestalert.com from me for $500 right now, I can guarantee that you will be able to sell it for 10k at some point. Must buy it right now though. I can only keep a deal like this on the table for 25 minutes.

It's literally like I'm handing you $9,500

Last edited:
•••
easy:
some do it on purpose others do not know what they're doing.

since you cannot know which one is which for sure, we let it all be and go, and hope buyers educate themselve before buyign

as it should be anyway

•••
•••
•••

Shane, there's a difference between Incineration and starting a small fire......

•••
•••
Your eyes are communist, bro, wash 'em with milk immediately!

lol that's gross man. Why milk? anything but milk man.

•••
•••
Comes with the territory.

•••
Why would you believe everything a salesman tells you, you should know to do your own research.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back