IT.COM

Typo/Overture question

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
For a particular company typo, I type in the company name without extension and get a big number of hits at Overture. But when I add the .com extension, I get zero. Does this typo still have merit? Is buying the domain and tracking stats the only way to really know? Is it worth the 8 bucks to experiment?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
buying the name and tracking is the only way to know. If you type the typo name with extention does it give a number? If not then you most probably will not get any traffic but like I said , to be sure you gotta buy the name. "Is it worth the 8 bucks?" , with no number for typo name with extention, I wouldnt spend the 8 bucks.

•••
Is typo or type-in so important?
From what I see, Search Engine Optimisation may be more effective. For example, when one searches for "fancycars", it is not neccessary that fancycars.com should come out top of the list. It is possible for DonBusiness.com, a name totally unrelated to cars, but nonetheless, have relevant car information on their site, to come out top of the list. I think it is all about SEO of your web content. This point aside, generic names do have an advantage when branding is concerned! But you still have to do the work to get more traffic!

•••
Originally posted by spikedo
For a particular company typo, I type in the company name without extension and get a big number of hits at Overture. But when I add the .com extension, I get zero. Does this typo still have merit? Is buying the domain and tracking stats the only way to really know? Is it worth the 8 bucks to experiment?

Definately. I have heard great success stories myself. You never know until you try. Overture is for searches and typos are usually done from mistyping in the browser which are some varibale to consider.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back