Dynadot

discuss Two Domains Registered and Sold on Same Day for $4,995 each

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
There were two names that sold on Flippa that looked odd. OnlinePetHub.com and OnlinePetsDirect.com. both closed at $4,995, they were registered on 4/20, listed on 4/20 and sold on 4/20.

This observation is taken from TLDinvestors

What do you think of the flip?
Selling on Flippa the same day of registration for $4,995 each?
Your views?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Sounds like a "wash, wash, wash, in new blue cheer"

•••
tumblr_mw5lz5WuSL1qjjhbco4_r1_250.gif

•••
weird. what are the odds of a pet company (if it was 1) finding these names on there the day they were registered?

•••
"both closed at $4,995, they were registered on 4/20, listed on 4/20 and sold on 4/20."
Sound Bad, Very Bad. It was the same seller thet sold this two domains?

We just found that on the past, someone already tried to sell ONLINEPETHUB.com as a part of 50 domains portfolio. The auction sold for $50 for all the 50 domains. This account was suspended.
--> https://flippa.com/95169-50-domains-great-keyword-portfolio-no-reserve

Not sure if it's say somthing beacuse the domain registered again but that's weird.

•••
There were two names that sold on Flippa that looked odd. OnlinePetHub.com and OnlinePetsDirect.com. both closed at $4,995, they were registered on 4/20, listed on 4/20 and sold on 4/20.

This observation is taken from TLDinvestors

What do you think of the flip?
Selling on Flippa the same day of registration for $4,995 each?
Your views?
registered, listed and sold on 4\20.....would be more sensational news if marijuana related domains

•••
The owner likely found a buyer before the auction started. :)

if that's true, then why have an auction or even use the platform?

scenario is too odd and it further perpetuates the hype.

imo....

•••
if that's true, then why have an auction or even use the platform?

scenario is too odd and it further perpetuates the hype.

imo....

Why don't you shoot him an email and ask.

•••
Extraordinarily unlikely, and considering that there are many fake sales reported, not something I would be inclined to believe.

I see nothing that would motivate Flippa to investigate how authentic a sale is, as long as they get their commission.

I appreciate your doubts at every turn.

I'm actually investigating the seller ...still.

The transaction went through Flippa Escrow and was legitimate as far as our marketplace was concerned. I was already almost hit with legal action just for publicly speaking about it, which isn' really my fault since it was picked up on Namebio before the seller privatized it.

Do you think I like looking into potentially dodgy parties within a marketplace I'm trying to help build and grow? Not the way I want to spend parts of my days, but I do. I care greatly about legitimacy and ensuring that things that come out of my mouth are the truth. I appreciate @equity78 for his trust in me, and rest assured that if ever I made a mistake or had a clarification to share, I will here and on his blog.

•••
To put this to bed:

Seller's being investigated on other matters. Should this turn out to be a PROVEN pile of bullshit, I'll be the first to rectify every single post and comment and apologize as such.

But at the moment, seller found an end user, brought him to platform, listed the domains and closed the deal -- and initiated Flippa Escrow -- and now privatized everything so we're sort of stuck with "he said / he said."

Finding a buyer and bringing to platform to close a deal has been done before (I've even done it!), but I agree the nature of the domain(s) is what was suspect.

Trust me that it's being looked into.

•••
Being the "optimist" that I am I don't necessarily see anything shady such as money laundering going on with the two deals. The two deals totaled together was a few bucks short of only $10,000. That's not an exorbitant amount that's difficult to "wash", Heck, because it IS just under 10 grand can't money like that just be moved around from bank to bank without question?

Hehe, not trying to support a criminal organization though if it's found out that is what's happening. Also I remember one rule someone once told me, "A domain is only worth the value of what someone is willing to pay for it" Maybe the seller got lucky?

•••
I appreciate your doubts at every turn.

I'm actually investigating the ...

Was that directed at me? If so, I don't know why. What turns are we talking about? There is this thread and somewhere else where I said Flippa lacks transparency. Nothing personal, as I understand you are working hard.

Of course I doubt the authenticity of this transaction. And, frankly, most auction houses, not to mention banks, don't investigate their clients unless they have to. I wouldn't either unless I felt I needed to to protect the integrity of my business.

Great that you are looking into it. Most places wouldn't bother. Of course, if a client covers his tracks well enough, it would take more resources than Flippa should reasonably commit.

I'm not pointing my finger at you, Kevin, as you seem to be doing more than your share. Sorry if you take my comments personally. It's not my business if somebody somewhere is engaging in dodgy transactions either.

I just want to call out a dubious sale to put a lid on the hype. While anything is possible, this sale has broken my BS meter.

Last edited:
•••
Was that directed at me? If so, I don't know why. What turns are we talking about? There is this thread and somewhere else where I said Flippa lacks transparency. Nothing personal, as I understand you are working hard.

Of course I doubt the authenticity of this transaction. And, frankly, most auction houses, not to mention banks, don't investigate their clients unless they have to. I wouldn't either unless I felt I needed to to protect the integrity of my business.

Great that you are looking into it. Most places wouldn't bother. Of course, if a client covers his tracks well enough, it would take more resources than Flippa should reasonably commit.

I'm not pointing my finger at you, Kevin, as you seem to be doing more than your share. Sorry if you take my comments personally. It's not my business if somebody somewhere is engaging in dodgy transactions either.

I just want to call out a dubious sale to put a lid on the hype. While anything is possible, this sale has broken my BS meter.

Thanks for that; I got snippy, and didn't need to :-/

•••
The seller could be laundering money. That's a situation where paying the success fee would make sense so that the proceeds of the sale would then be "clean".

•••
The seller could be laundering money. That's a situation where paying the success fee would make sense so that the proceeds of the sale would then be "clean".

I don't want to accuse without knowing more, but we've taken action on the account pending further review...

•••
Could it have been something as simple as someone trying to pump their Flippa stats?

People do that on eBay all of the time. I don't think this is a reflection on the platform, it's the nature of being online.

There was a big trend a few years back on buying 300+ eBooks on eBay for .10, and both the buyer and seller would get a positive review for being excellent buyers/sellers. So essentially, they were trading/buying feedback points.

As a former power seller (not from eBooks), I can tell you that having an outstanding rating when selling products worth thousands helps push people towards buying with you.

Anyways... People will try to 'game the system' any way they can.

Their next step might have been to setup sales of terrible 'pet' related domains and bring them to platform and sell them with the justification of, "I just sold xxxxx.com for $x,xxx; this domain is also worth $x,xxx and you should buy it as well."

A platform cannot possibly monitor that kind of activity at all times.

Last edited:
•••
Could it have been something as simple as someone trying to pump their Flippa stats?

People do that on eBay all of the time. I don't think this is a reflection on the platform, it's the nature of being online.

There was a big trend a few years back on buying 300+ eBooks on eBay for .1, and both the buyer and seller would get a positive review for being excellent buyers/sellers. So essentially, they were trading/buying feedback points.

As a former power seller (not from eBooks), I can tell you that having an outstanding rating when selling products worth thousands helps push people towards buying with you.

Anyways... People will try to 'game the system' any way they can.

Their next step might have been to setup sales of terrible 'pet' related domains and bring them to platform and sell them with the justification of, "I just sold xxxxx.com for $x,xxx; this domain is also worth $x,xxx and you should buy it as well."

A platform cannot possibly monitor that kind of activity at all times.

We're looking into it, most definitely.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back