Dynadot

.tv .TV registrations down 10% since new TLDs

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I don't have the exact stats /dates but I do recall perhaps late 2013 / early 2014 that .TV registrations were noticeably in excess of 600k and rising slowly. While my drops do often get picked up, it seems that the most common buy price for a .TV domain continues to be a backorder - not much more. I noticed a Mexican cable company had picked up a .TV drop of mine - Reynosa.tv - a large industrial city but given the problem with drug trafficking in northern Mexico, not exactly a tourist city. Anyway I see .TV regs now at 564k. I believe the launch of new TLDs has sucked up (and wasted) a lot of domainer capital. I continue to view new TLDs with disdain as I see no need for hundreds of new TLDs every quarter. Perhaps one new TLD every two to three years might be sustainable.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Verisign stands by the fact they don't release numbers so any stats on any site are derived from something else.

•••
Domain counts internet statistics

•••
What's the deal with premium renewals now? That has been going on and off, and it's causing a bit of confusion. .TV would have a lot more attention if they didn't go with premium renewals.

Isn't this considered the golden age of TV?

•••
lots of choice now with .show,.video,media buyers can shop around.

•••
I think it was a poor decision for Verisign to nearly triple the standard .TV renewal rate, in one fell swoop. I was paying $10.99/year for renewals, now its around $30/year. Such a staggering increase makes planning difficult, erodes confidence and is simply bad business.

I think it would behoove Verisign to go back to $10.99 registrations and renewals and to lock that rate in for at least 4-5 years.

•••
I think it was a poor decision for Verisign to nearly triple the standard .TV renewal rate, in one fell swoop. I was paying $10.99/year for renewals, now its around $30/year. Such a staggering increase makes planning difficult, erodes confidence and is simply bad business.

I think it would behoove Verisign to go back to $10.99 registrations and renewals and to lock that rate in for at least 4-5 years.

Exactly Claude, Verisign has no focus when it comes to .tv. They do a little promotion, make the pricing cheaper for registrars, then they take everything down they put up and raise the pricing again.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back