IT.COM

.tv .TV Premium Auction at SEDO - Starts April 1st 2010!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
sedo.co.uk/search/searchresult.php4?tracked=&partnerid=&language=e&auctionevent=tvPremium

Just found it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You have always displayed leadership qualities here on this board, so even though it's no surprise, it is sincerely appreciated! Thanks.

Wow,
Thank You Freedom.
I'm happy to contribute something to those here who provide me w/something everyday~

Thanx :)

•••
the full text from sedo (including typo..let's hope there are none on the names themselves!)...

"upcoming events
auctions, conferences and more!
Sedo′s .tv auction:

Sedo has teamed up with verisign, the global registry operator for the .tv internet domain, to hold an exclusive auction for the entire available catalog of 115 premium .tv domain names at the standard registry renewal fee, which is a greatly reduced reneweal fee. The list of available domains include beauty.tv, bloopers.tv, , business.tv, cable.tv, films.tv, finance.tv, home.tv, jobs.tv, lifestyle.tv, real.tv, and vacation.tv.

The auction begins on sedo.com on april 1, 2010 at 12 p.m. Edt and ends on april 8, 2010 at 12 p.m. Edt.

Check out the full auction details at sedo.tv"

exciting times

wow!

•••
Ya know what I just thought of after that compliment from Freedom?

This Insane .TV promotion just announced...
could be the one exciting thing that this crazy .tv Forum full of characters needed to finally all pull together.
Maybe...
:)

First Dynadot reg prices are an unheard of $13.00!
Now some Premium .tv renewals are not just going down, but they're actually gone!

I'm thinking if we stick around for another month,
They may just be giving these .tv's away! :lol:

Last edited:
•••
There's so much information right/wrong out there now because THEY are all working out the details as we speak.

they were/are deciding on no/low reserves.
they were/are deciding on no/low premium renewals

there is another big announcement coming out on/after Friday, that will shakeup the .tv TLD again . As I said before, it will be big news to some, non-news to others, just as this .tv auction matters to only a few players.

It is my belief, and countless others, that if VRSN were to kill off the premium pricing it would be a major game-changer. The TLD would be able to compete with others and fight for the crown.

But what if, what if, those holding renewals now had some good news around the corner? time will tell.

•••
It is my belief, and countless others, that if VRSN were to kill off the premium pricing it would be a major game-changer. The TLD would be able to compete with others and fight for the crown.

It will never hold the "crown" because it is a niche. But getting rid of the premium would make for a viable aftermarket. It would something like .info or a bit better in my view. Next rung down from .net and .org.

•••
It will never hold the "crown" because it is a niche. But getting rid of the premium would make for a viable aftermarket. It would something like .info or a bit better in my view. Next rung down from .net and .org.

Everyone has their own opinion.
So you see it as:
Com
Net
Org
TV, INFO, etc....

?

Whatever the outcome, it will be fun to watch .tv play freely with all the other TLDs and the new crop coming out. I'm TLD agnostic... I'm happy with .tv, .com, .info, .pro --- and though some of my friends laugh at me: .travel, .ws, etc...

But before anyone tries to rain on this parade (sedo auction), let's wait to see what the outcome is. I wonder how much buzz will be generated beforehand. Plus, I'm waiting to see how the sexDOTcom auction performs this week.

•••
If they do cancel premium renewals, it should provide a fillip to the aftermarket.

Don't see it as a 'game changer' though.

Sure would be interesting to watch...

•••
So you see it as:
Com
Net
Org
TV, INFO, etc....

?

Without premium pricing, yes I would see it like that.

•••
So you see it as:
Com
Net
Org
TV, INFO, etc....

I am fine with that.
If that became the mindset of everyone, that would be awesome.
The cctld's have been moving up the charts with some killer sales so If everyone saw the .TV as one rung up from their own cctld,
well that would be a tremendous game changer in the world of .TV.

•••
If everyone saw the .TV as one rung up from their own cctld,

I doubt that, for people living in an area with a strong cc tld (.de, .co.uk etc), I would think they'd rather speculate in that than .net or .org.

•••
I doubt that, for people living in an area with a strong cc tld (.de, .co.uk etc), I would think they'd rather speculate in that than .net or .org.

I can't argue that point but If Verisign has any other tricks up their sleeve as MrRhee suggests
then .TV will have a very fast growing future!

No one ever argues about the extension, (cctld, Tuvalu, etc.)
The only true arguement against .TV has been their insane Premium Renewal pricing.

Take away that extra fee factor, and I believe it is truly "Game On" with all of the other cctld's.
maybe even with .net!
:lol:

•••
I am fine with that.
If that became the mindset of everyone, that would be awesome.
The cctld's have been moving up the charts with some killer sales so If everyone saw the .TV as one rung up from their own cctld,

DS - that is wishful thinking Im afraid. It will only become the "rung up" to cctlds if the website is tv or video related, otherwise why on earth would anyone in England or Germany etc choose .tv for a non video centric site.?

On the other hand, if the site is tv related, then yes, if this auction is a big success, then it can only help - the question is how much??

Already I have seen mutterings from the big .commers saying stuff like "premium names?? what premium names!!"

IMHO - i think there are some nice names and I disagree completely -of course they are premium names unless Business.TV is not considered to be a premium name.

But alot also depends on how high the reserve is set. In fact there are still so many unknowns that until more precise comment is given - its better not to set your hopes too high in case those hopes are dashed.

I think at best - at this point in time - cautiuos optimism is the best way to go forward.

Another point to consider is that this will be a chance for those with fat wallets to take them out and buy a portfolio of names from the list. The problem with that then becomes that most will languish in PARKED CITY, as do so many .coms. But with .TV - development is key to the success of the extension aswell as domainer liquidity, so if they get parked or go into stealth mode, it could very well cancel out any positives.

•••
I can't argue that point but If Verisign has any other tricks up their sleeve as MrRhee suggests
then .TV will have a very fast growing future!

No one ever argues about the extension, (cctld, Tuvalu, etc.)
The only true arguement against .TV has been their insane Premium Renewal pricing.

Take away that extra fee factor, and I believe it is truly "Game On" with all of the other cctld's.
maybe even with .net!
:lol:

Personally I would say the domainer .tv market is at the crossroads with this move. If Verisign is going to make very big changes to pricing then it could be a very good thing for the aftermarket, especially if they decided it is a viable model to auction off the lot. Essentially there will be an aftermarket! which can't really be said now.

Having said that I don't think this extension will ever compete with mainstream extensions like .net, it just isn't mainstream. And as far as cc tlds go I would say it would only compete with rebranded ones like .me, not cc tlds in the traditional sense, completely different market.

But if this just ends up as another auction where hadly anything sells like last time then I think this market will gravitate to yet unseen lows.

Personally I wouldn't be betting on which way this will go, as soon as Sedo releases the reserve range we'll know. If business.tv is $5000 reserve then look out, if it is $100,000 then pack up the camper and head for the hills.

•••
I agree with both of you: Snoop, and Millers.

Still too many variables, and cautious optimism is what we definitely need to tone it down to.
I just got a little excited there, lol.

Hurry up Friday...
It should be a very interesting day!

•••
But with .TV - development is key to the success of the extension aswell as domainer liquidity, so if they get parked or go into stealth mode, it could very well cancel out any positives.

The only reason why development was "seen" as the key to sucess is because the pricing was so high that they made no sense for speculation, so what else do you do with a domain? Even then how many successful .tv sites have we seen from domainers?

Whatever happen with these auctions none* of these names will ever be developed in a meaningful lasting way, the same is true of any domain auction. It will however create an environment where far more names actually have some value and more regular trading occurs, assuming they auction off alot of these names. So instead of catapulting .tv to new heights of public awareness which this will no do it will mean there is something valuable to actually buy and sell. Like buying/sell property (something with capital value) as opposed to leasing a house and trying to onsell that lease (no capital value).

* a slight exaggeration: probably something lasting will get developed if 100+ names are sold to domainers, but it won't mean much. Most will be PPC, MFA and very low budget short lived development which is what us domainers know best.

•••
. It will however create an environment where far more names actually have some value and more regular trading occurs, assuming they auction off alot of these names. So instead of catapulting .tv to new heights of public awareness which this will no do it will mean there is something valuable to actually buy and sell. Like buying/sell property (something with capital value) as opposed to leasing a house and trying to onsell that lease (no capital value).

Great point Snoop.
The renewal removal would definitely create a true value for .tv domains which hasn't been seen before.

•••
Please hang tight, and remember this is an April 1st thread ... some things may not be as they first appear (and most all here have personally witnessed disappointing events surrounding the ".TV" extension ... over the past 10 years), IMHO. :gl:

Just my two sense,
Jeff B-)

Last edited:
•••
Personally I wouldn't be betting on which way this will go, as soon as Sedo releases the reserve range we'll know. If business.tv is $5000 reserve then look out, if it is $100,000 then pack up the camper and head for the hills.

so, you believe that if business.tv starts off at $100K w/ NO premium renewal, that it will NOT sell?

considering it was priced at $500K per year, and the only way to get any discount was to offer a heavy upfront, I suspect that we may see a sale at $100K. But you are correct, if they started at $5K, there would be a feeding frenzy... that alone could take the domain into the 6 figure range.

There are so many factors to consider, and obviously this is dependent on whether or not the auction is promoted beyond just domainers (unlikely) and if they (SEDO/VRSN) make the entire premium renewal concept simple for people to understand going into this... and nothing could be simpler than saying "Standard Renewal Pricing." That would make me smile... ear to ear baby.

For those who have always wanted to buy a premium (or more premiums), if this auction fails... it gives you more ammo to negotiate with VRSN for better pricing. There's names I've wanted for $5K+/yr and I'm hoping that they'll be cheaper upfront during the SEDO auction, but even at $5K now without the premium renewals later, it may be worth taking a look and pulling the trigger.

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

Please hang tight, and remember this is an April 1st thread ... some things may not be as they first appear (and most all here have personally witnessed disappointing events surrounding the ".TV" extension ... over the past 10 years), IMHO. :gl:

Just my two sense,
Jeff B-)

Jeff, are you implying that this is an April Fool's Day Joke?
If so, just come out and say it. Why beat around the bush?

Do you truly believe that Sedo has updated their site with the auction info and listings...
and 100+ .TV domains were recently plucked from 1 registrar to another (transferred from ENOM to SEDO for this auction)

...just to play a trick on the internet?

I know you like to be cute, but if you're going to attempt to rain on the parade, referencing A.F.D. is a weak attempt, imo. You've got plenty of ammo to use to tear away at .TV - why don't you just go for the jugular. ;)

•••
Jeff, are you implying that this is an April Fool's Day Joke?
If so, just come out and say it. Why beat around the bush?

I honestly have no idea if this is, or isn't ... I'm simply advocating PATIENCE at this juncture (and, with having over 10 years of experience in following and observing and actively discussing ".TV's", as well)! :gl: :imho:

Thanks,
Jeff B-)

•••
I am definately looking forward to the Friday !

•••
I'm simply advocating PATIENCE at this juncture

true. I agree.

let's wait for official announcements and for when the domains (sedo's auction) have pricing in place.

there's still 2 weeks till it begins and they can & may change their minds right up to the starting time. some names may get pulled...added; reserves/premiums may get adjusted, etc... maybe another round of news unrelated to sedo's auction may get announced... who knows. ;)

one thing for people to keep in mind, it seems like this is VRSN's auction via SEDO, versus ENOM's auction. If it was ENOM's, I don't see the need for the domains to be transferred out of ENOM into SEDO. I know SEDO usually asks/requires that for larger domain collections/events... but imho, something interesting is happening behind the scenes at VRSN.

•••
I know that things like these are planned way in advance. I can't see this auction as being an impromtu chain of events, so it got me to wondering, and this is really spinning it like a dreidel...

Did the acquisition of own.tv by Harpo have any bearing on the receptiveness of this amalgamation? It directs to oprah.com but will it always do so? I kinda doubt that it will as she knows how to be diverse. Everytime she speaks or goes in some direction, people tend to take heed.

I am now seriously wondering how much of an impact will this site/channel have on the rest of the extension down the road. This has been discussed before, but the situation has begun to take on a different, more serious tone.

It could be pure conjecture on my part but I love to dream.

Einstein said that imagination is more important than knowledge. And right now I am imagining some good things for the extension.

•••
Very exciting news.

My fear is other Registars will proxy-buy and re-price/sell as premiums.

•••
Many of these things have been talked about for a long time. In a survey in 2008 I told the lady, Verisign should do an auction with SEDO like .mobi did.

When Scott ran .tv he told the higher ups to make all 3 Character names, not LLL or NNN but 88n.tv or NN6.tv non premium.

There has been talk for years about after paying premium renewal for x years it becoming a standard renewal.

The HRTS auction did auction 4 names with $50 renewal.
The reserve for each was $5000
Kids.tv which was $100,000 premium sold for $10,100 to MrsJello/Igal
Comedy.tv which was $50,000 premium sold to Byron Allen and his ES.tv
Watch.tv which is now the Verisign blog, I heard got a bid but not paid.
Broadcast.tv sold for $5000 which I brokered the sale last year for $10,000.

•••
Very exciting news.

My fear is other Registars will proxy-buy and re-price/sell as premiums.

always a possibility... or someone will hoard them up. VRSN is testing the market. They can enforce whatever rules they want going into this: they may require all buyers to keep the names at SEDO's registrar in order to control the names... just like premium .TVs had to be harbored at ENOM. Just because these premiums are being sold a different way doesn't mean VRSN will kill their premium "status", i.e. always under VRSN's "control". WHo knows, maybe VRSN will enforce development guidelines like .mobi tried to do (doubtful), but it's their call.

Let's remember that VRSN has held back 55,000 .TV names as premiums. If you've ever taken time to go through the entire list (and I have) there's lots of "filler". Should every 3 LLL .TV be $4500/yr? Should every 3 character be $300-$500? Perhaps, since parking has dried up, it's time they moved some product and try various methods. New TLDs are coming out, .TV is not a "popular" extension for domainers, endusers are intimidated by the premium renewals (imho, I do not believe the upfront scares people away, it's the recurring). No matter the reason behind this "shift"... all I can say is it's about time they tried something new.

I had no intention to buy more premiums, but depending on the news, it would definitely sway me to reconsider. But I'm wondering what the impact this VRSN/SEDO auction will have on the remaining 55,000 (-115) premium .TV's on ENOM's list.

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

I know that things like these are planned way in advance. I can't see this auction as being an impromtu chain of events, so it got me to wondering, and this is really spinning it like a dreidel...

Did the acquisition of own.tv by Harpo have any bearing on the receptiveness of this amalgamation? It directs to oprah.com but will it always do so? I kinda doubt that it will as she knows how to be diverse. Everytime she speaks or goes in some direction, people tend to take heed.

I am now seriously wondering how much of an impact will this site/channel have on the rest of the extension down the road. This has been discussed before, but the situation has begun to take on a different, more serious tone.

It could be pure conjecture on my part but I love to dream.

Einstein said that imagination is more important than knowledge. And right now I am imagining some good things for the extension.

Interesting thought process. We'll see what Discovery & Oprah have planned for the 01.11 launch.

They own:

Own.TV
OwnTV.TV

They do not (currently) own:

Own.com (Nat'l A-1)
OwnTV.com

But Oprah is big enough to launch her own TLD is she wanted... (no joke intended). I'm not saying she would, but she has her own ecosystem and can support millions of users. OWN is laying out the framework to become one of the largest social networks, so running it on OWN.TV vs Oprah.com/folder seems like the better choice. But we'll if own.com or owntv.com changes hands between now and then.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back