Domain Empire

.tv .tv in America.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
When I am talking to someone about the .tv extension, I often get the reply that .tv will need to be popular in the US before getting a final break through. As Americans are still using .com and not typing in .tv this will probably not happen. I'm not living in America so I don't know how .tv is picking up there. Does anyone from the US can tell what his/her opinion is about this and if .tv is already more advertised in the US (like in Europe, especially the UK). Thanks, John.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
We have the largest population of coach potatoes anywhere in the world. We definitely love our .TV.

Given that fact as well as having the largest internet population in the world is telling. The "marriage" of internet and .TV is going to cause one of those "great disrputions" that cause new opportunities only seen once in a lifetime.

As far as seeing .TV appear in the US, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I would take it to the bank!

EDIT: Certain .TV names will be gold. Most others will not. It's up to each domainer to weed through the crap. As equity has said, it's better to have one good one than hundreds of subpar .TV names that most likely will never get used. Although having said that your pretty safe with descriptive, content-ready "generics". Everything.TV is a good example. On the other side of the coin, "Everything" would definitely not work with .ws/.us/.biz/.info. The reason is most .TV shows/content are "descriptive" in nature.

Last edited:
•••
Izo-pod, hope you are right, if .tv is not getting popular in the US, it will not take off :sold:
I already posted this somewhere, but on a holiday I met someone from New York, he worked at a bank and we were talking about interesting sectors for the future. When I mentioned internet and .tv, he wanted to know if he needed to download some software to see .tv websites. He had never heard of the .tv extension. There is still al long way to go, but like you mention, when tv and internet will melt together, this can cause a hype.

izo-pod said:
Certain .TV names will be gold. Most others will not. It's up to each domainer to weed through the crap. As equity has said, it's better to have one good one than hundreds of subpar .TV names that most likely will never get used.
I agree, after starting of with 'crappy' .tv names, I decided to reg mostly premium names, probably there will still be some 'crappy' ones in there, but you only need one good sale to make up all the investments, John.

•••
johntv said:
I agree, after starting of with 'crappy' .tv names, I decided to reg mostly premium names, probably there will still be some 'crappy' ones in there, but you only need one good sale to make up all the investments, John.

You definitely have some great dot .tv names. Smart move going after the ones you did.

•••
John I think .tv is picking up more in the US and speakign to jsut one or two people that made goofy statements like doe sit need a plug in may not be representative of overall perception. Most people I speak to non domainers have never heard of .us or .biz.

Bottom Line is premium names regged at Verisign over 70% are developed there are certainly not 70 % of .coms developed. This extension has done well considering the bad pricing and relative secrecy of most big sales.

Tv is ubiquitous no matter what anyone thinks that cannot be denied, Tv and Internet convergence is happening another fact. We must think how we can develop the really good names and be at the forefront of the ext when every media company, tv station, domainer and consumer wants in.

•••
I can say that I've seen .tv names advertised on more than one occasion. This ext. seems to have a good bit of steam behind it, especially here in the US already so I think go things will come on down the road. The right names have lots of potential IMHO.

•••
Good to read that .tv is slowly picking up and getting advertised in the US.
I found this in an interview from Dnjournal with Rick Schwartz, the guy who is really into .com and sold men.com:

"If you see .whatever advertised on TV and then you begin to see other .whatevers advertise on TV and billboards and magazines, THEN and only then will there be a CHANCE for other extensions to become meaningful.”
Schwartz added “As the net matures it is possible for a .info or .TV or .biz extension to flourish."

Assuming he is right, it becomes time some .commers putting their investments in .tv :)

Also found this news which might be an interesting read:
http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=10270978&src=rss/topNews

•••
on an average day i see more .tv ads (on TV (mostly), in papers, magazines) than any other extension other than .com - i too believe that with the increase in .tv advertising and the merger of the web and TV the future is bright for the extension.

•••
Watched a poker tourney on COMCAST and the site sponsor was RoyalVegasPoker.tv not .com or .net.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back