Dynadot

Tutorial: How to set up a server on your own computer

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
1) Get a server
The server you should use depends on your needs, i'd recommend Abyss Web Server, there is a free version and its very stable. It also uses up very little memory (4mb disk space and 4mb ram).
However, if you need a server that supports .htaccess and .htpasswd, you need to get Apache Web Server, although its the most commonly used webserver around, I think its a bit hard to set up, i've tried several times and failed.

Overview: If you need a fast, stable, compact server, get Abyss Web Server, if you need .htaccess and .htpasswd, get Apache Web Server.

2) Get some parsers
It should say in your server's documentation how to install a script parser, here are some for you to get: PHP, ASP, ASP.Net, Python.
Those are pretty much the most common scripting languages used, so if you have them, you wont need much else.

3) Get other servers
You may need some other servers, such as a database (MySQL), google for the additional servers that you need, and get them. Try to stick to free versions, unless you are serious about your server. Some other servers you may need are: DNS (if your site offers hosting), Database (I recommend MySQL), POP3/SMTP (for email), and FTP (for remote access)

4) Make sure it all works
Put some pages on your webserver, try to run some scripts, try to use ftp, connect to the database, send email, ect. Make sure all your servers work, theres nothing worse than telling some people about your site and finding out later that your server dosnt work.

-----

Hope this helped some of you!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you dont mind i would like to add:

Call you ISP first, make sure you have a high upload speed, such as fios. Not a standard cable or dsl. Also some isps block broadcasting on port 80. If they do block port 80, your not screwed, some server software you can confiqure to broadcast on another port..

I also do not reccommend hosting many websites are a large traffic website with this. It could eat up all your bandwidth, or worse, be so slow.

•••
•••
Nice basic Tutorial.

I'd like to learn more about it soon.

Thanks for sharing!

•••
Is anyone self hosting a vBulletin forum on fios here?

Or perhaps self hosting a site that has some videos on it?

•••
How much upload do you need for hosting one or two websites, and a file server for personal use?

•••
XAMPP is a nice all-in-one package software to set up a web server on your own computer.

•••
Or you can use a server pack that installs like a simple program and you won`t have much to worry...and your tutorial is not actually a tutorial...I think everyone who knows what a servers is knows this stuff, you should make a tutorial on how to install that stuff..

•••
How do you go about hosting a domain, with nameservers if you are on a dynamic IP and running of windows server 2003 r2?

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back