Domain Empire

news Tucows Inc. Acquires eNom Inc. for $83.5 Million

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Soofi

Love Domain NamesTop Member
Impact
This news has to be one of the most interesting surprises of domain name industry in early 2017, Tucows Inc. acquiring wholesale domain name registrar eNom Inc. from Rightside Group, Ltd for $83.5 million.

A press release was issued by Tucows Inc. earlier today with a claim that combined entity will be the second largest domain name registrar in the world after Godaddy.

In our observation, the domain name registration space has intensified with recent developments of acquisitions happening one after the other. Godaddy has been aggressively acquiring large domain name portfolios from individual resellers while Tucows Inc. played a master-stroke here.

read in detail here...

Related:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
WOW, I didn't expect that. Thanks for info.

•••
•••
Wondering what impact, if any, this will have on domain pricing.

•••
i hope they change some of the customer rep they are soo rude ...

•••
Wondering what impact, if any, this will have on domain pricing.

No effect whatsoever.. prices are set by registries and not registrars :)

•••
•••
•••
•••
interesting read, thank you.

•••
Oh no, will this mean the end of enom emails that proudly offer $29.00 reg and renewal? I should have jumped on that while I had the chance...

•••
Oh no, will this mean the end of enom emails that proudly offer $29.00 reg and renewal? I should have jumped on that while I had the chance...

Lol unfortunately, yes! :P

•••
It's to bad RIghtside had some great assets, I always felt in the hands of some real business minded domainers it could be a great company.

Enom has let me down so many times, so much time on hold, so many calls to support. I almost felt I was working for them, trying to convince support people about bugs in the platform, they would never hear you out.

Frank & Daniel had huge positions in this company, almost seemed like they were going to try and attempt a takeover.

Last edited:
•••
It's to bad RIghtside had some great assets, I always felt in the hands of some real business minded domainers it could be a great company.

Enom has let me down so many times, so much time on hold, so many calls to support. I almost felt I was working for them, trying to convince support people about bugs in the platform, they would never hear you out.

If that was the case.. I believe they are better off without the enom as an asset. New management and team might be helpful in someway for better :)

•••
I am wondering, how this will effect on namejet ? as domain sellers needs to transfer domains to eNom to complete deal..

•••
I am wondering, how this will effect on namejet ? as domain sellers needs to transfer domains to eNom to complete deal..

I think Tucows will either break ties with GD and shift focus towards Namejet with all those expiring domain names ending up there.. my humble opinion :)

•••
I hope for the sake of all those long suffering TuCows customers, that they change to the eNom Control Panel, and not the other way around.

•••
That means NameCheap also got SOLD or what?
I mean some domains I bought NameCheap but whois show Registrar ENOM INC.

•••

I have thought about it too. Namecheap says they are icann acc. But they still resell enom

•••

Nope. They are completely separate from eNom. Different owners. In another thread, it was said the contribute, what was it? 15 or 25% of eNom registrations. They can still perform all those registrations with a different eNom owner. I don't think any new owner would willingly give up such a large user block (if they had any sense). But it might give NC the final push to finally use their ICANN registration. But we just have to wait and see how it all pans out.

•••
does Tucows own dotster, mydomain, netfirms, these brand?

•••
@stub Thanks for Info.
I din't use eNom or Tucows. So can't talk anything about them.
I love NameCheap. Their platform, their service is also good. At least for me.

•••
•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back