IT.COM

news Tucows Inc. Acquires eNom Inc. for $83.5 Million

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Soofi

Love Domain NamesTop Member
Impact
This news has to be one of the most interesting surprises of domain name industry in early 2017, Tucows Inc. acquiring wholesale domain name registrar eNom Inc. from Rightside Group, Ltd for $83.5 million.

A press release was issued by Tucows Inc. earlier today with a claim that combined entity will be the second largest domain name registrar in the world after Godaddy.

In our observation, the domain name registration space has intensified with recent developments of acquisitions happening one after the other. Godaddy has been aggressively acquiring large domain name portfolios from individual resellers while Tucows Inc. played a master-stroke here.

read in detail here...

Related:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Enom has let me down so many times, so much time on hold, so many calls to support. I almost felt I was working for them, trying to convince support people about bugs in the platform, they would never hear you out.

Anytime I requested aut. code to transfer out my domains, I won at NJ, it never worked. I always had to call the customer service to get the correct aut. code. And the renewal costs for regular users......

•••
That means NameCheap also got SOLD or what?
I mean some domains I bought NameCheap but whois show Registrar ENOM INC.

I have thought about it too. Namecheap says they are icann acc. But they still resell enom

I think NameCheap will go with enom but you never know what is in store next, but I am definitely looking forward to how aggressively all are getting.. with Endurance and Godaddy warming up with initial acquisitions while Tucows showing their might with latest development :)

•••
I hope for the sake of all those long suffering TuCows customers, that they change to the eNom Control Panel, and not the other way around.

I am with you on this one, Tucows (OpenSRS) reseller panel is a pain to use :(

•••
Consolidation continues...

playground is wide-open for power struggle as DropCatch/NameBright/HugeDomains group is making waves all around.. though I do not see them or Uniregistry anywhere close to these juggernauts, and are quite smaller in number, but you never know whats next ;)

•••
•••
Anytime I requested aut. code to transfer out my domains, I won at NJ, it never worked. I always had to call the customer service to get the correct aut. code. And the renewal costs for regular users......

It's sold to Tucows for better, I guess :D

•••
Why do you think so?

They will be the only one left with the cash or borrowing power, after this consolidation settles down. But it was a little tongue in cheek statement. Didn't you see the smiley?

rgds
stu

•••
They will be the only one left with the cash or borrowing power, after this consolidation settles down. But it was a little tongue in cheek statement. Didn't you see the smiley?

rgds
stu

lol I am sure, there will be competition in form of Endurance or few others, but this is getting quite interesting and playground is getting set for more gTLDs being introduced in near future. No?

•••
lol I am sure, there will be competition in form of Endurance or few others, but this is getting quite interesting and playground is getting set for more gTLDs being introduced in near future. No?

Well that's what ICANN have been calling for. They must have spent their last windfall on executive salaries and jaunts :)

Last edited:
•••
Well that's what ICANN have been calling for. They must have spend their last windfall on executive salaries and jaunts :)

lol more avenues for us to make money as domain name investors and resellers I guess!

•••
•••
•••
Nope. Web.com, I believe, owns these registrars.
Why do they have such good domains, but the worst everything else

•••
Why do they have such good domains, but the worst everything else

because they are there to make money by keeping their investors happy rather than customers ;)

•••
because they are there to make money by keeping their investors happy rather than customers

Business 101; Take care of your customers and the sales and profits will follow.

•••
Business 101; Take care of your customers and the sales and profits will follow.

low margin products dont make you money, keeping investors happy will make them money and thats what some of them are trying to do IMO

Last edited:
•••
This post is in regard to the WEB.com family of companies:

Investors are not happy unless there is profit. My guess has been to use the promos as a loss leader to get customers to buy other products like hosting, etc. Cash infusion from investors is not a benefit to a company unless they can leverage those funds into profit. Without profit, the investment dollars go away.

A business must keep customers happy in order to drive cash flow and profit. In this case, their ridiculous "push" system that they have implemented has made a certain segment of their customer base (domainers) VERY unhappy. Even to the point that others will not buy names registered with them unless they can be transferred away. This is not the way to keep the investors happy.

Of course, they may just be changing their business model to de-emphasis the Domainer customer and concentrate on end user/developer customers who are more likely to purchase those other items. The flaw in that strategy IMO is that domainers act as the funnel to send those type of clients to them, as we sell to customers that they would not otherwise be in contact with.

•••
How many times have you read Push to your 'Tucows account' as opposed to your 'GoDaddy account'

I haven't used Tucows since the 90s.

Last edited:
•••
I am with you on this one, Tucows (OpenSRS) reseller panel is a pain to use :(
They released a new panel a few years ago which is much easier to use.

How many times have you read Push to your 'Tucows account' as opposed to your 'GoDaddy account'

They're more commonly known in the domaining world as OpenSRS and Hover.

•••

They are touting themselves as reseller friendly and focused aggresively on building the same platform under OpenSrs.

•••

It's true, that I have only used OpenSRS's old server. But if Hover are using the new Control Panel, admittedly it's better, but that brings to about 15% of the quality of eNom's. IMHO :) I'm not saying eNoms Control Panel is perfect. But it is excellent. I prefer Uniregistry's, but eNom's has more bells and whistles, that I used to use, and can't do in Uniregistry.

eNom's service seems to have gone to hell from all the reports we see here on NP. But eNom has had good service in the past. But the overall track record has never been very good.

Last edited:
•••
It's true, that I have only used OpenSRS's old server. But if Hover are using the new Control Panel, admittedly it's better, but that brings to about 15% of the quality of eNom's. IMHO :) I'm not saying eNoms Control Panel is perfect. But it is excellent. I prefer Uniregistry's, but eNom's has more bells and whistles, that I used to use, and can't do in Uniregistry.
The new OpenSRS control panel is different from the Hover control panel. In my opinion, it's more powerful for managing multiple domains and a little more convenient to view and change info.

But I agree that eNom and especially Uniregistry have great control panels as well.

•••
Overall, a nice acquisition by Tucows.

•••
•••
Rightside also owns Name.com, right? I wonder if they are going to sell Name as well.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back