IT.COM

question Trying to find owner of domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

JeffLemon

Established Member
Impact
I'm trying to buy a domain, the WHOIS record has no contact details (privacy). The domain does not resolve to an IP/website. I have tried using a broker (no luck). I've used waybackwhen to see if I could find the owner (no luck). I've tried emailing the domain in the hope they would have a catch all address (no luck).

Do you have any other ideas of what I can try?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Just publish the name on NP. What have you got to lose? You never know, the alternative approach can work sometimes too.

Anyway, good luck with your search.

Rgrds,

Reddstagg

•••
Depends on the extension. For .com .net .org etc. there should be a privacy email link. Country code extensions and some obscure ngTLD may have direct ways to contact via a registry website, if it is your case, research into that.

Even if you send a message, consider the possibility that the domain registrant will not respond because no interest.

•••
Depends on the extension. For .com .net .org etc. there should be a privacy email link. Country code extensions and some obscure ngTLD may have direct ways to contact via a registry website, if it is your case, research into that.

Even if you send a message, consider the possibility that the domain registrant will not respond because no interest.
I second that. If there is a website, check all the pages for contact info. But I think there isn't any.

Hae you checked social media profiles with that business name? Maybe the owner is active or linked to any of them.

•••
Thanks all - still no luck, checked social media and whois history.

•••
Whoxy.com has some historical Whois info that might help.

The current Whois should have some sort of contact info. Even under privacy there should be an obscured email address, which still should forward to the domain owner. Alternatively, some registrars like GoDaddy have a form to contact the owner. Try looking up the Whois at the current registrar to see if there are any special options.

Good luck!

•••
Thanks all - still no luck, checked social media and whois history.
Again, I'd just say to simply state the name here and the very clever wizards will hopefully find you the information in a jiffy. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Just buy one of my names LOL!!! Much cheep

Rgrds,

Redd

•••
I guess it would be a good manner, if a domain owner will leave some info about him in TXT record in DNS, by the way maybe you should check his DNS records and contact hoster with question about an owner.
Whois history services don't check data 24/7, so don't rely on them much.

•••
1-whois check
2-email through whois check
3-make contact through registrar
if all of these fail the owner does not want to be contacted and you should respect that and just let it go

•••
I guess it would be a good manner, if a domain owner will leave some info about him in TXT record in DNS, by the way maybe you should check his DNS records and contact hoster with question about an owner.
Whois history services don't check data 24/7, so don't rely on them much.
Many domain owners are not domain sellers and likely don't want to be contacted.

I mean with a compelling enough offer, maybe the owner would be interested.

Brad

•••
It's obviously not for sale.

•••
Many domain owners are not domain sellers and likely don't want to be contacted.

I mean with a compelling enough offer, maybe the owner would be interested.

Brad
Sure, I didn't mean an Average Joe, just my thoughts in general over domain speculators.

And still it's worth a try to topic starter contact hoster/registrar of that domain, they could help contact an owner via temporary/private email, for example, without breaking whois privacy settings, even monstrous cloudflare do such thing

•••
Sure, I didn't mean an Average Joe, just my thoughts in general over domain speculators.

And still it's worth a try to topic starter contact hoster/registrar of that domain, they could help contact an owner via temporary/private email, for example, without breaking whois privacy settings, even monstrous cloudflare do such thing
Yeah. Even with privacy there is usually a way to contact an owner. Many times the domain owner will receive it, and just not respond.

With enough research and digging though you can often find who likely owns a domain.

Brad

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back