IT.COM

advice How to find the owner of a domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Restricted (Market)
Impact
I am trying to help someone acquire a domain name. It points to a landing page with just an email address. They tried to contact the owner, it bounced back saying their inbox was full, tried again about a month later same result.

So then I tried looking at the WHOIS, its registered with Porkbun using privacy but they have a form to email the owner, no response (probably going to the same email address that is full).

I checked all the major marketplaces, found in on Uni, submitted an inquiry, then several weeks later the broker messages back saying they have not received any response from the seller.

At this point I don't know what else to try. Any ideas?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Try DomainIQ .com and check once. Domain IQ shows all the domain's they own

•••
DomainIQ costs $49.99 a month?

You that desperate, Ryan?

•••
•••
You could also pay a domain registrar a fee to act on the buyer's behalf to acquire the domain name. That's what they do for a living. Good luck!

•••
Ask Porkbun to deliver message, while maintaining anonymity.

Got idea from mike, problem is Porkbun never posts here, but they were on not too long ago.

@SlackJawedYokel

Tell to ask owner trying reach, if they are alive?

Last edited:
•••
Ask Porkbun to deliver message, while maintaining anonymity.

Got idea from mike, problem is Porkbun never posts here, but they were on not too long ago.

@SlackJawedYokel

Ask owner trying to reach, if they're alive?

They have a form for that. No response, I suspect its probably going to the same email shown on the landing page.

•••
is it an older domain? tried a whois history lookup like whoxy or domaintools?

•••
I presume you have tried the Wayback domain archive to see if it had a website in past that gave other contact details.

I doubt this will help, but enter name in Dofo just in case it is listed for sale outside the big marketplaces.

You have Google searched the domain name to make sure it is not mentioned in way to show FB, etc. page of someone connected to it.

Good luck.

Bob

•••
Type this in google ---- "emailaddress" and check what comes up. It may lead you to a name or another email address.

The only other option is DomainIQ, because you can look up potential alternative email addresses.

But that's life; sometimes you just can find the owner

•••
DomainIQ costs $49.99 a month?

You that desperate, Ryan?

There is the cheaper $24.95 Basic version, the one I've been using for awhile now.

•••
There is the cheaper $24.95 Basic version, the one I've been using for awhile now.

Good to know, that one is much more palatable.

•••
So interesting thing is in 2018 WBM shows it redirected to another website, that website still exists but obviously not this redirect. Historical whois shows a change of ownership that seems to roughly coincide with that, so I suspect it expired and was picked up at auction.

I had tried searching for the email address which shows 4 domains names all with the same landing page. All registered with Porkbun under privacy.

I had previously searched for the domain here to see if it has even been discussed and couldn't find anything.
But @Candace gave me an idea, using the 3 other names they also appear to own I searched for those here as well, Tow of the 3 no matches, but one. One, was listed for sale twice on here the last time in 2018. No indication in the thread it was sold so I have pm'd the seller to ask if they know anything about the ultimate buyer, we shall see.

As for those who have been asking about the domain name, I asked my friend if I can share it and they asked that I don't reveal it, sorry. But I will say it is a 4l.com

•••
•••
Nope. Seems the seller is very elusive. Must be hard to make money selling domains when you cannot even be reached. I put way more effort into trying to get in touch with them than most would. :xf.rolleyes:

•••
Check their namepros profile, when they was last seen here? Links to social media there? Btw LinkedIn and others allow to search by email.

•••
Some people go hiatus, or life takes over, some put domains on shelves after auction and brush off inquiries, could be they want to develop. I've even let my mailbox fill up before using email with my web host and forgot to expand default size. It really is a waiting at times, best of luck.

Last edited:
•••
Check their namepros profile, when they was last seen here? Links to social media there? Btw LinkedIn and others allow to search by email.

Last seen today but never responded to pm so I'm guessing they don't have any info...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back