IT.COM

Try this if you fail domaining

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Domain industry is a small somewhere like $500 million a year revenue. Not more than the world's most expensive megayacht.

But if you fail to sell your "pigeon shit"(term Rick Schwartz coined ;))... there is a much bigger opportunity around the corner which anyone can join THIS WEEK and it doesn't involve a sketchy MLM.

What I speak of is the $500 billion a year ADVERTISING industry.

The steps you can take:
1. Buy a decent domain name in a huge industry
2. Sell advertising.space on that domain name
3. Reinvest and repeat

One giant success for this method is the cars.com domain name. They sell advertsiing to 20,000 car dealerships worldwide. I almost fell off my chair when I heard from a local succeesful business owner that Cars.com charges those dealerships $899 a month for an ad spot. You do the math!

You are good to go!

Hope this can helps you, especially if you struggle to earn a living from online business!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Domain industry is a small somewhere like $500 million a year revenue. Not more than the world's most expensive megayacht.

But if you fail to sell your "pigeon sh*t"(term Rick Schwartz coined ;))... there is a much bigger opportunity around the corner which anyone can join THIS WEEK and it doesn't involve a sketchy MLM.

What I speak of is the $500 billion a year ADVERTISING industry.

The steps you can take:
1. Buy a decent domain name in a huge industry
2. Sell advertising.space on that domain name
3. Reinvest and repeat

One giant success for this method is the cars.com domain name. They sell advertsiing to 20,000 car dealerships worldwide. I almost fell off my chair when I heard from a local succeesful business owner that Cars.com charges those dealerships $899 a month for an ad spot. You do the math!

You are good to go!

Hope this can helps you, especially if you struggle to earn a living from online business!

WoW, whats an idea sir Ji!

But no thanks I am doing good with my pigeon sh*t domains

•••
My pigeon sh#* domains include advertisedspace dot com.

•••
My pigeon sh#* domains include advertisedspace dot com.

Got you beat there :xf.laugh:

my pigeon shit domain is...

PigeonShitNames.com

Don't believe me? Go there for a surprise :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Last edited:
•••
lol hehe other day someone on forums committed avatarsuicide so inspired me.

•••
Forgot about this thread. Maybe @maxjohan can update us on how much ad space he/she has been able to sell so far.

•••
oh well just bought links .cheap as thread made me think again.

•••
Forgot about this thread. Maybe @maxjohan can update us on how much ad space he/she has been able to sell so far.

The fallacy in his post is that one cannot buy a domain like cars.com

Same with vacation.com, travel.com, sex.com, candy.com etc.

All the super premiums that could boast traffic like that are unattainable to the average domain investor.

Last edited:
•••

Same with vacation.com, travel.com, sex.com, candy.com

All the super premiums that could boast traffic like that are unattainable to the average domain investor.
Pigeonshit covers all the rest of the domains so your covered

•••

Same with vacation.com, travel.com, sex.com, candy.com etc.

I tend to agree, but he seemed convinced in the wisdom of his proposed model of getting people to pay for nothing in the hopes that something comes of it. So I'm curious to know how it worked out.

•••
I am daily amazed, and somewhat concerned, when I hear on the news the amazing amounts that some of the young influencers are making. It of course shows the nature of social media reach - a very few will go viral and get almost all of the market. To some degree, monetized web content seems moving same way, with more and more dollars to fewer sites.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I think part of the trick may be finding a really narrow niche, where there is a chance of becoming the place (and then advertisers will come). But maybe the other thing we could learn from the influencers is to be passionately enthusiastic in that niche. I don't mean to the degree of making untrue claims, but I wonder if too much web content lacks passion.

I wonder also if time is ripe for a system that bypassed the tech giants that control almost all the advertising dollars. AirBnB made the vacation rentals something individuals do, crowd sharing has made investing in startup ideas something for individual people, we all know how Lyft and Uber have changed rides. What about a system on the AirBnB model where someone with not many dollars that they want to spend to advertise something directly reaches someone with a content site. The company takes a small percentage but the individual directly deals with the advertiser, knowing exactly what content where.

Bob

•••
What about a system on the AirBnB model where someone with not many dollars that they want to spend to advertise something directly reaches someone with a content site. The company takes a small percentage but the individual directly deals with the advertiser, knowing exactly what content where.
Isn't this basically how most companies advertise online today via Google, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc? You choose how much you want to pay, and the intermediaries put your ads in front of the most relevant people (as defined by you) as much as possible based on your investment.

Last edited:
•••
Or are you proposing that advertisers work through a third party company to post ads directly to sites of their choosing? In which case, why not just deal directly with the site?

I think I see what you're getting at... that this idea provides an avenue for companies who want to be more selective about where they advertise, but can't afford a full-blown ad campaign on any site of their choosing. I think the reason the idea falls short is because advertisers already have the option to harness the mammoth amounts of data collected by Google. Why would you choose to advertise on only one site when you could pay Google to put your ads in front of the exact right audience regardless of where they navigate to?

•••
Or are you proposing that advertisers work through a third party company to post ads directly to sites of their choosing? In which case, why not just deal directly with the site?
Hi Joe sorry I see that my early morning post did not very clearly explain the idea! Here is a more detailed try. I see it working exactly like AirBnB but for ad providers and buyers.

Yes it would be direct contact between the company/organization who wanted to advertise (X) and the person with the content site -Y- that would host the ad, but facilitated by a third party (A), exactly as AirBnB do for vacation rentals.

Content providers -Y- would set up an account and briefly describe their possibilities (like a rate card and type of site) on the (A) platform.

People looking to advertise (X) would browse listings on (A) platform, including reviews by past clients, and find a good match.

They would pay (A) for the package they wanted, A would handle payment take a cut and give (X) the rest. Also put (X) and -Y- into direct contact to work out details.

At end reviews submitted and posted.

Agree direct contact could cut out A, but if cut was small enough, and other aspects they offer such as payment processing and perhaps some sort of guarantee, would keep most using them I think.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Hi Joe sorry I see that my early morning post did not very clearly explain the idea! Here is a more detailed try. I see it working exactly like AirBnB but for ad providers and buyers.

Yes it would be direct contact between the company/organization who wanted to advertise (X) and the person with the content site (y) that would host the ad, but facilitated by a third party (A), exactly as AirBnB do for vacation rentals.

Content providers (y) would set up an account and briefly describe their possibilities (like a rate card and type of site) on the (A) platform.

People looking to advertise (X) would browse listings on (A) platform, including reviews by past clients, and find a good match.

They would pay (A) for the package they wanted, A would handle payment take a cut and give (X) the rest. Also put (X) and (y) into direct contact to work out details.

At end reviews submitted and posted.

Agree direct contact could cut out A, but if cut was small enough, and other aspects they offer such as payment processing and perhaps some sort of guarantee, would keep most using them I think.

Bob
Thanks for explaining in more detail.

The idea is a cool one, I just wonder if there would be much value in it. You're talking about advertising on targeted sites, which I think most would see as a step below advertising to targeted individuals, which is already available via multiple platforms at affordable rates.

There could be some added benefit I'm overlooking, but I think it would be a tough sell.

•••
already have the option to harness the mammoth amounts of data collected by Google. Why would you choose to advertise on only one site when you could pay Google to put your ads in front of the exact right audience regardless of where they navigate to?
BTW I agree entirely with what you wrote and explains why Adsense is such a dominant program. I think the alternative model might appeal to the same people who prefer crowd funded, indie music, independent bookstores, sites for individual craft makers, etc. The sort of small and personal is beautiful crowd. I don't see Fortune 500 companies using it.

A content provider could have a small icon on its site saying it is part of the network and linking to there to purchase advertising. Agreed that gives away a bit of the revenue, but I think a lot like having an intermediary like AirBnB involved

Last edited:
•••
BTW I agree entirely with what you wrote and explains why Adsense is such a dominant program. I think the alternative model might appeal to the same people who prefer crowd funded, indie music, independent bookstores, sites for individual craft makers, etc. The sort of small and personal is beautiful crowd. I don't see Fortune 500 companies using it.
I'm just not sure that type of "boutique" feel applies to advertising.

Whether I'm Amazon or Joe's Hand-Crafted Toothpicks, if I want to spend on advertising then I want the best bang for my buck. I want the ads that will convert the most. I suspect this new AdShare company would have trouble converting as well as Google ads.

The one possible advantage I see of this new company - customer service. I've never paid for a Google ad campaign, and have never talked with Google ad reps. Maybe they're awesome, but I suspect it wouldn't be hard to beat them in that one arena. Great for bookstores, but does it matter enough to make you want to get less conversion on your ads?

•••
No disagreement with your last point, @Joe Nichols. It would be hard to beat Google and FB in value for money, which is, I agree, what counts.

By the same token, I would not have thought so many would be using ride services and renting short term space, however. But I agree, odds of success low.

If someone were to try it, probably the way to do it is how AirBnB started. As I understand it they literally were renting out space on air beds on the floor for people attending a convention, and it was only after people liked the service, that they thought of expanding. That is start very small and narrow focus, perhaps a regional one.

I have not thought detail, but wonder if one of the existing crowd funding networks might be an avenue for a startup wanting to try it.

Bob

•••
No disagreement with your last point, @Joe Nichols. It would be hard to beat Google and FB in value for money, which is, I agree, what counts.

By the same token, I would not have thought so many would be using ride services and renting short term space, however. But I agree, odds of success low.

If someone were to try it, probably the way to do it is how AirBnB started. As I understand it they literally were renting out space on air beds on the floor for people attending a convention, and it was only after people liked the service, that they thought of expanding. That is start very small and narrow focus, perhaps a regional one.

I have not thought detail, but wonder if one of the existing crowd funding networks might be an avenue for a startup wanting to try it.

Bob
You would need to find a way of offering an improvement on at least one of those golden triangle points of convenience, cost, and quality. Airbnb and Uber did that in spades, which is a big reason why they grew so quickly.

I wonder what could be done to improve on the convenience, cost, or quality of Google ads?

•••
need to find a way of offering an improvement on at least one of those golden triangle points of convenience, cost, and quality.

I have (not for domains) used both Google ads and FB ads in the past. The FB targeting actually worked super well in one of those cases, but some of that is now being questioned by Canadian authorities as a human rights issue (i.e. can you target ads at a certain age demographic). Google did not seem to work for me, probably because not pro enough in developing campaign. But that itself is a statement. If they had specific human agents to help, I did not know of them.

I see a possibility for quality improvement if I could design precisely the ad I wanted and have it on precisely the site where I wanted it.

Convenience would depend on how well the AirBnB type site is set up. Ideally it would be big enough to have a good range of target possibilities, but not so huge that one could find it

Cost would need to give an advantage to the new system. I would see if first working at the value end, kind of like Fiverr did for free lancing. Google ads already can be pretty cheap, depending on your campaign, so true a challenge. As a content provider, most get so little from Adsense now that I can see them trying out something else, even if prices started low.

I think the big thing Google offer is the tie in to search and the analytics on how things are working. Not easy to provide something similar, so maybe not try.

I volunteer at a monthly community nonprofit newspaper. I am surprised that a lot of companies do advertise with us in a world with so many media, daily and online opportunities open to them. I think they partly like that we work with them to get their ad just how they want it looking, tweak the colour here or the size of lettering there, and also have a very specific audience they know (it is given out and delivered free to all members in our community). They don't have either of those with a Google ad. I think there are a lot of bloggers out there who would provide that same level of personal service, and who have in some cases a significant following in a defined niche.

But a network of online advertising is much more challenging...

Bob

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back