Domain Empire

Transfer Request from GoDaddy

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Raf

Established Member
Impact
Today while I was looking through my email I came across an e-mail for someone that was intiating the transfer of my domain to GoDaddy, I did not authorize this or give the permission to do whatever they were doing. Do I simply ignore this e-mail or is there a way that I can cancel the request because I definately do not want to transfer my domain?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Lock your domain.

The transfer may have been initiated by a hyjacker who wants ot exploit ICANN's new transfer procedure, i.e., unless the domain owner denies the request within 5 days, the transfer goes through to anyone who requested it. So lock your domain.

Access your godaddy account and click pending domain transfers. You can stop the transfer there.

•••
Or

I don't know what the procedure is if your registrar is someone other than godaddy. Call their tech support.

•••
How the heck does one initiate a transfer of someone else's domain?? How is that even possible... or permitted!? D-:

Sheesh, I don't even know how to initiate a transfer of my own domains yet! LOL :laugh:

•••
Raf said:
Do I simply ignore this e-mail or is there a way that I can cancel the request because I definately do not want to transfer my domain?

Don't ignore that email! Click on the link that they have provided in the email to cancel this transfer.

Nonetheless, check to see if that GD name in question is locked. It should be. If not, lock it immediately.

•••
Don't Click Transfer Link

Don' trick the transfer link. It might be a phishing thing. If it is a transfer request from a legit registrar you should call their tech support number to complain.

Anyone can inititiate a transfer. Just look on each registrar's home page. You should see an icon to click on if you want to initiate a transfer of a domain. Then follow the directions. It is quick and easy.

•••
The domain the other person wants to transfer is registered at RegisterFly and wants to be transferred to GoDaddy. The e-mail says I should ignore this e-mail if I do not wish to transfer.

•••
Lock all your domains... go to your registrar to check for pending transfers then cancel them as needed.

•••
How would you check for pending transfer in RegisterFly if I haven't intiated the transfer because that's what this whole topic is all about... someone trying to transfer a domain to GoDaddy that does not have permission from me to do.

•••
FYI, GD reg DN's are NOT locked by default, that's what i saw on my account..... simply login to your GD or whatever registrar you have then lock ALL your DN's.... they have that bulk lock feature so it would be very easy....... these hijackers are running whois reader scripts and extracts thoes that statuses are inactive/active or not-locked DN's

•••
Alright good, that's what I did and doubled checked that my domains are all locked. Thanks again for everything guys. :)

•••
Registerfly: Login to your account, go to Manage Domains, then in the left hand column there is an option called Transfer Status, try that.

GoDaddy: Log into your account, you will see an option for Pending Domain Transfers, check there.

Raf said:
How would you check for pending transfer in RegisterFly if I haven't intiated the transfer because that's what this whole topic is all about... someone trying to transfer a domain to GoDaddy that does not have permission from me to do.

•••
That's weird.. I don't recall ever locking all my GoDaddy names, yet when I last checked, they were all locked so I assumed they were locked by default.

netPH said:
FYI, GD reg DN's are NOT locked by default, that's what i saw on my account..... simply login to your GD or whatever registrar you have then lock ALL your DN's.... they have that bulk lock feature so it would be very easy....... these hijackers are running whois reader scripts and extracts thoes that statuses are inactive/active or not-locked DN's

•••
dgridley said:
That's weird.. I don't recall ever locking all my GoDaddy names, yet when I last checked, they were all locked so I assumed they were locked by default.

Thanks for the info..... I have 48 domains w/ GD and I've just locked them yesterday after noticing that they're not locked D-:

•••
It's possible I used bulk lock some time ago and just forgot.. point is, make sure your domains are locked, eh? :red:

netPH said:
Thanks for the info..... I have 48 domains w/ GD and I've just locked them yesterday after noticing that they're not locked D-:

•••
With the new transfer policies by ICANN, be careful to read the transfer notification email. I recently transfered a name from Godaddy to eNom, and the transfer notification said - if I want the domain to be transferred, don't do anything.

I am more used to verification emails that say, "to approve this transfer, click on this link"

I agree. Be careful when you get these notification emails from out of the blue and you have no clue. A hijacker may be phishing you, especially if they do it in a way to send you to a fake login-in page to extract your userid and password.

•••
It seems the idea is that you need to actively deny a transfer if you don't want it to go through. "Doing nothing" is as good as saying, OK. The game has been reversed, so reading your transfer notifications extra carefully (and checking for phishers) may be necessary in the coming months

http://www.whois.sc/news/2004-11/transfer-policy.html

•••
Guys, if the transfer request email is from the gaining registrar, in most if not
all cases you just simply ignore it. The gaining registrar must gain your explicit
approval before sending the request over to the Registry, then to the current
registrar.

If your registrar is any good, the locking (if any and applied) of the domain
name will automatically cancel the request once your current registrar gets
the request from the Registry about this.

Just hoping we're on the same page about this lest the newbies get confused
about the new transfers.

•••
davezan said:
Guys, if the transfer request email is from the gaining registrar, in most if not
all cases you just simply ignore it.

I got transfer request emails from Godaddy and Directi this week, who were the losing registrars. Both email stipulated that I should ignore the email if I approved the transfer. Which is a direct reversal from past practices, whereby I had to confirm the transfer.

I think the ICANN move is a good thing, but it definitely cuts both ways. God help you on fraud transfers if your email is down or your spam filter or ISP gets too aggressive in flagging and deleting spam. Locking is now mandatory, not an option.

•••
Never ignore these types of emails alway sinvestigate and call GD to see who started the transfer and then deny the transfer. Always lock your names otherwise your just asking for someone to take your name.

•••
BTW- I just regged two domains at GoDaddy, went to Manage Domains, and both were indeed locked by default...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back