Dynadot

Transfer complete but domain listed for sale by new registrar

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello all,

After, receiving written confirmation, from previous registrar that they would allow me to transfer out multiple expired domains; they unlocked & provided me with auth codes, for all and directed me to initiate transfer, which I did last week.

Wednesday, I received notice of completed transfer, where they show, in my account, at new registrar. All are locked and ICANN whois shows myself, as Registrant and also shows new registrar.

Today, I was made aware that one of those domains is currently listed for sale at GD expired auctions, in an active auction, which ends tomorrow and has started getting bids.

I called GD, and they said "Registrar has is listed for sale as expired domain, contact them, we have no control over listing...Contact the registrar". I asked, who is the registrar that has it listed for sale and they named my new registrar.

I called my new registrar and they were no help. All the customer support rep would say, was "we're not affiliated with GD, so we would not list a name for sale with them, contact GD again or your previous registrar".

Since, new registrar listed as seller with GD, not previous registrar, I asked rep at new registrar to contact GD, to remove listing but rep refused...All I heard was "we're not affiliated with GD".

I appreciate your thoughts!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think it would really help if you named at least the new registrar.

I've never heard of such a thing but it sounds really sketchy.

How can the domain possibly be expired when you just transferred it to a new registrar?

•••
generaly when auction ends
gd will check and notice it is no longer expired
and not transfer it to gd winner

@Joe Styler

Last edited:
•••
I think it would really help if you named at least the new registrar.

I've never heard of such a thing but it sounds really sketchy.

How can the domain possibly be expired when you just transferred it to a new registrar?
Thanks!
I don't feel naming either previous or new registrar is necessary, now; but that may change, moving forward.
What I will tell you is they are both known, here.

To clarify, all domains had expired and were in "Grace" period. Therefore, I felt it best practice, to ask the registrar, if they'd allow the transfer out, before attempting. The registrar agreed, unlocked the domains, gave me authorization codes, for all and directed me, to initiate transfer out, which I did.

•••
generaly when auction ends
gd will check and notice it is no longer expired
and not transfer it to gd winner

@Joe Styler
Thanks!
I hope you're right because I'm not getting anywhere with GD or either registrar, yet and the auction ends tomorrow.

•••
Even if sold, the domain can not be transferred without your permission.
On the other side, it's good indication that you have a nice, marketable domain. Study how the auction is going on, the interest shown by bidders and, most especially, the highest offer. You may need this info to later set the right price for the domain.

•••
Even if sold, the domain can not be transferred without your permission.
Are we sure about that? Because I've had names that I let expire, at GoDaddy, and they were auctioned and GD never queried me about it. It was transferred, gone, boom.

•••
Are we sure about that? Because I've had names that I let expire, at GoDaddy, and they were auctioned and GD never queried me about it. It was transferred, gone, boom.
The OP said he successfully transferred the domain to to a new registrar.
When you transfer to new registrar, the norm is that you renew the exp, date by at least a year.
That means the OP has the ownership rights. Correct me if I'm wrong,

Last edited:
•••
The OP said he successfully transferred the domain to to a new registrar.
When you transfer to new registrar, the norm is that you renew the exp, date by at least a year.
That means the OP has the ownership rights. Correct me if I'm wrong,

To confirm...
Wednesday, I received notice of completed transfer, and domain shows, in my account, at new registrar, where it's locked. ICANN whois shows myself, as Registrant; new registrar, as Registrar and the following, showing it now expires in next year.

Important Dates

Updated Date: 2018-07-13
Created Date: 2000-06-09
Registrar Expiration Date: 2019-06-09

•••
This sounds like one of those situations where someone bids on a GD Expiring Auction, wins the auction, pays for the domain at GD, then afterwards (2-5 days later) gets an email from GD indicating the auction was mysteriously cancelled (with no explanation to why it was cancelled).

This is one of the reason I gave up on GD Expiry Auctions about 18 months ago. After winning several dozen auctions, I was getting "cancelled auction" emails from GD for about 15-20% of them - post "winning". They never provided an explanation why they were cancelled. All items were paid for in full promptly following the close of the auction, then I'd get these annoying "sorry - the auction was cancelled" emails. (aka -"yo chump - sorry you wasted your time" emails) Totally ridiculous they couldn't be more proactive at their internal tracking. Totally sucked.

The above situation mentioned by the OP of this post @RockBros is likely a real life example of why GD cancels an auction post-win.

@RockBros - Suggestion - perform a Whois from 3-4 different registrar sites on your domain in question. If all 4 different registrar Whois tools show the same Registrant (you), Registrar (your new registrar), Expiry Date then you should be all set and the poor bastard bidding on the GD Expiry Auction for that domain that wins is going to get a post-sale "sorry - the GD auction was cancelled" notice.

Last edited:
•••
This sounds like one of those situations where someone bids on a GD Expiring Auction, wins the auction, pays for the domain at GD, then afterwards (2-5 days later) gets an email from GD indicating the auction was mysteriously cancelled (with no explanation to why it was cancelled).

This is one of the reason I gave up on GD Expiry Auctions about 18 months ago. After winning several dozen auctions, I was getting "cancelled auction" emails from GD for about 15-20% of them - post "winning". They never provided an explanation why they were cancelled. All items were paid for in full promptly following the close of the auction, then I'd get these annoying "sorry - the auction was cancelled" emails. (aka -"yo chump - sorry you wasted your time" emails) Totally ridiculous they couldn't be more proactive at their internal tracking. Totally sucked.

The above situation mentioned by the OP of this post @RockBros is likely a real life example of why GD cancels an auction post-win.

@RockBros - Suggestion - perform a Whois from 3-4 different registrar sites on your domain in question. If all 4 different registrar Whois tools show the same Registrant (you), Registrar (your new registrar), Expiry Date then you should be all set and the poor bastard bidding on the GD Expiry Auction for that domain that wins is going to get a post-sale "sorry - the GD auction was cancelled" notice.
Thanks!
BINGO!
After a whirlwind 24 hours, back and forth between GD & both registrars with none claiming to have control of domain, or the power and authority to stop the auction. This morning, a GD supervisor tells me. "I see you are the owner and it's not expired"...To which, I replied "great, stop the auction and take the listing down".

Then the supervisor tells me, "I can't because the auction team is not back until Monday but you have nothing to worry about, I can see it is not expired and won't be, for a year. When the system catches up to whois, it will recognize that the domain is no longer expired and if there are any bidders, they'll get an email telling them the auction is cancelled and get a refund...If it were still expired, you would lose it".

Nothing to worry about?
That's a hell of a way to do business...

Last edited:
•••
@RockBros -

Thanks for your above post.

For me, here's the rub... some poor sap is spending time tracking and bidding on this domain at GD Expired Auctions.

And what will all the bidders get (more specifically the "winning" bidder get) after "winning" and ALSO after having to pay for that "victory" (possibly overbidding due to the gorilla HD)... Nothing!

For the privilege of wasting their time and (in effect) loaning GD their cash for 5-7 days at no charge, they get only an email saying "this auction was cancelled" with NO EXPLANATION to why it was cancelled.

@RockBros post is a perfect example of why GoDaddy is failing in the Expiry Auction game and has lost credibility recently. By not providing a cancellation explanation, they are not acting transparently.

Domainers don't like chasing ghost.

"the auction team is not back until Monday" - domaining is a 24X7 business.

Wake up GoDaddy, you're not a bank and don't deserve to operate on retail bankering hours!!

Plus, there's a new tool that runs at night called Whois. Trying hiring a programmer that knows how to automate your processes and understands the concept of FULL DISCLOSURE when providing a cancellation notice.

Yes, this is EXACTLY the reason I said F' it with GoDaddy auctions - lack of transparency and respect for the winning bidder. This isn't a game for us... we are operating businesses and would appreciate being treated more professionally when being told your end of the sales transaction fundamentally failed in its process tracking. Trying to sell "out of stock" items is not reasonable when you could have been more proactive PRIOR TO THE CLOSING BID occurring.

Simply "letting the auction process play out" is amateurish and is not being transparent to the bidders who are chasing a no-win opportunity that should have been suspended with full disclosure to the reason it was suspended in the auction platform bidding area.

Last edited:
•••
To me, coming from the bidder's angle, that's the nature of the "expired auction". The possibility of the registrant renewing the domain are clearly explained in the auction terms. I thrive on the expired auction model (since the days of trying to catch expired names are long gone) and "win some, lose some" is just part of the game. Not a big deal.

What the OP has been going through on the other hand, is a big deal and unnecessarily nerve-wracking.

•••
Presuming neither of the Registrars is GoDaddy, then the auction might be won by somebody, but they will never see the domain delivered from the previous registrar because they no longer have control of the domain. This happens at GoDaddy when the are auctioning off other Registrars expiring domains. I hesitate to say it happens a lot. But it happens. If GoDaddy are the current registrar. It could go either way. But I'd expect them to recognize you as the legitimate owner.

I say it can go either way with GoDaddy. Because I just bought a domain from them (non-expiring and not at GoDaddy) and they thought I was the registrant! (Which I wasn't). The dispute about who the registrant was never concluded until after the domain was in my account some 2-3 weeks later. They even refused to look up their own Google Whois. Which they obviously refused to do. Because it would have told them all they needed to know about who the registrant was. Surprise, Surprise. It was the registrant who listed the domain :)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back