IT.COM

Traffick vs. Traffic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi guys, need some help in English :) Is there a word in English - Traffick?
Or there are only words Traffic and Trafficking? In Google I found some results for Traffick. Is that word was made from Trafficking or it's a typo from Traffic?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's a typo/spelling error in the English language.

•••
No. Well, not in proper (British) English, and I'm almost positive it isn't in US English either.
As I understand it (this is dragging up a memory from about 20 years ago), it's a curious situation, that probably wouldn't have existed if English wasn't such a 'mongrel' language. Basically the reason for the 'k' is to avoid confusion over how to pronounce the word, as the word originally came from French (and from Italian before that). Usually words from these languages that have an 'ici' in them would have that portion of the word pronounced ee-sei (any word ending in ~icide for example) or ee-see. It's a work around to getting a Romance-origin word into a Germanic language and alphabet (afraid of using the letter Q).

So 'traffick' is a typo.

•••
Ok thanks! Rep added

But I found some documents named for ex. "Traffick report: Myanmar", also found the book named "Traffick".
On the site: humantrafficking.org I found the text: "The counterfeit documents may have been manufactured with the intent to traffick women and children into the U.S."

As I understand it's a verb. Also found some phrases:
Guilty of conspiracy to traffick, problems occurred during trial...
... to traffick into prostitution ...

So maybe it's a verb that is used in special cases?

•••
liskola said:
Ok thanks! Rep added

But I found some documents named for ex. "Traffick report: Myanmar", also found the book named "Traffick".
On the site: humantrafficking.org I found the text: "The counterfeit documents may have been manufactured with the intent to traffick women and children into the U.S."

As I understand it's a verb. Also found some phrases:
Guilty of conspiracy to traffick, problems occurred during trial...
... to traffick into prostitution ...

humantrafficking.org

Not familiar with that site, but maybe it is supposed to be read as 3 words..?

Its a possibility B-)
Jake

•••
liskola said:

Very unlikely. It's people who think it is the singular simple present verb form of trafficking must be traffick, probably the same sort of people that think more than one octopus are called octopi and irregardless is a real word. The correct form is traffic.
Traffic, to traffic, traffics, trafficking, trafficked, trafficker, traffickers.

However- if so many people are mistaking it like that, it may be worth considering for typo domains perhaps. I've noticed traffick .tv and .us are available, amongst others.

•••
S~ said:
Very unlikely. It's people who think it is the singular simple present verb form of trafficking must be traffick, probably the same sort of people that think more than one octopus are called octopi and irregardless is a real word. The correct form is traffic.
Traffic, to traffic, traffics, trafficking, trafficked, trafficker, traffickers.

However- if so many people are mistaking it like that, it may be worth considering for typo domains perhaps. I've noticed traffick .tv and .us are available, amongst others.

Thanks Simon! Just needed to check it, because of some domain.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back