IT.COM

advice Traffic domain value and advice

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi all,

I usually buy and sell generic and brandable domains, so traffic domains are a bit outside of my wheelhouse.

I found a good deal on a high-traffic name, so I bought it. It was a developed social-bookmarking site until I purchased so there are a lot of back links out there (it is listed on the Addthis widget and other similar next to Digg and Reddit). It has an Alexa ranking around 29,000, and is a PR 4. It was registered about 10 years ago, and it actually a pretty decent short and brandable name in it's own right.

I parked it at Sedo because it was most convenient for me. It seems to be getting around 4K unique visitors per day, but is is very early on.

In the last few days (approx 3 days) since I parked, here are the stats:

Uniques:11,924
Clicks: 353
Earnings: 26.08 USD
CTR: 2.96 %
EPC: 0.07 USD
RPM: 2.19 USD

Are these CTR, EPC and RPM numbers low, or is that normal? What kind of numbers are you shooting for here on an average parked domain?

I'm not in a huge rush, but I definitely want to sell it. I really think the name should be developed to take advantage of the traffic and links that it has out there, but I don't have the time and energy to do it myself. I have received four low-ball offers already and one today for $1500 USD. This is more than I paid but I still feel is pretty low based on the preliminary numbers and I would like to counter.

Any insight into what the value of this name might be based on traffic? I know this is limited information, but if I can make some assumptions from this data is there an average earnings-multiplier that traffic names are going for right now?

As I said, I am out of the loop on traffic names. I am mainly trying to determine the value of the name with the limited information that I have. Any insight on that would be most appreciated.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I guess like in most web based projects you can count it more or less like: earnings per month * 24

•••
Are these CTR, EPC and RPM numbers low, or is that normal? What kind of numbers are you shooting for here on an average parked domain?

15% to 30% CTR.

•••
the keywords of the name, have a lot to do with EPC and even CTR, depending on what links are displayed on your ppc pages.

try parkingcrew if numbers don't go up

imo...

•••
Traffic name multipliers are of 2 categories. Those based primarily on type in traffic and those dependent upon backlinks. The 24x referred to above by @polongru may in extremely rare cases apply to a well aged, very backlink dependent domain that has been parked for some time where you can make some assumptions about the stability of those backlinks and therefore the continuity of the revenue - but I would never pay that solely for link traffic. If you were to lose a couple of referring domains driving a lot of traffic the revenue would instantly vaporize. A look at the pro version of similarweb could help you see if there is much type in traffic. Such a blend would help the value. Without type in traffic I would expect a much lower multiple (3x - 12x). I agree with @Biggie.us as to ParkingCrew. Their "related terms" and "user search" and "referrer info" reporting can also provide insight to help you maximize your sale.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back