Trademarked Names

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

abucan

Established Member
Impact
1
Guys,

I've been using Tess to search for trademarked names and it seems that practically everything under the sun is trademarked. For example, try any 2 or 3 letters and it's likely to be a registered trademark. So if I have a name like ubc.com or rec.com or uls.com and they call come up in the Tess search, does that mean I can be sued? It seems one can be sued for everything and anything in the US. Thank god I live in Asia :D

Please advise.
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
Well a TM is only valid for the classes in which it is registered. For example if you use UGC for something else then motion picture you should be fine (provided the same name is not also a TM in other classes filed by other holders). If you use 'Apple' for computer then you will hear from the lawyers.
 
0
•••
Now what if your name is simply parked? It's not really being used for any cateogry, unless you can assume one through the ads it generates. If one can make that assumption, would you try to change the keyword for selecting ads? For example, If I had a name called BlueRobots.com and it was trademarked in the class of robots, could I stay out of trouble if I set the keyword to travel and caused travel ads to be displayed (as opposed to robotics ads)?
 
0
•••
Appraise.net

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover

NamePros updates

New in Parking: updated way to act on many domains or inquiries at once
Your domain list and inquiry list now have a bar above and below the list. Check the items you want, then choose an action in the bar...
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back