Domain Empire

TradeMark Question

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Hello,

I found a "keyword".com domain that is for sale. I search into google and found that a .net version of this domain is live. I think its a company. Now, my problem is if I buy this keyword.com domain, can I sold it to the company who owned the .net version? Or they can simply grab this domain from me because of a trademark issue? I checked namecheck.com and the trademark is still available for registration.

What do you think? Should I buy the domain?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Check the TM database in the company's geo (Tess in US, IPO in UK).
If the name is "known" they could have common law TM in the US.

Bear in mind that they may not want it but you should be ok. if they do want it they may not need it.. meaning they won't pay you too much.

If user A****1 comes here he will tell you that's where he develops it to kick their ass to prove a point.

Last edited:
•••
Thank you for the reply... Trademark registration is available in 4 TM database

United States (USPTO) AVAILABLE
Germany (DPMA) AVAILABLE
International (WIPO) AVAILABLE
Europe (CTM) AVAILABLE

•••
Thank you for the reply... Trademark registration is available in 4 TM database

United States (USPTO) AVAILABLE
Germany (DPMA) AVAILABLE
International (WIPO) AVAILABLE
Europe (CTM) AVAILABLE

Then go for it, I say.

Don't expect a positive reply from them though and be polite and courteous.

Don't assume it will sell, it may not :)

•••
Odds are that the owner of the name email the heck out of the .net owner long before you found the name. So be careful about buying it only to flip to the net.

•••
Also, if you intend to resell domains, avoid domains that have only one obvious end user. The domain should be valuable on its own.

•••
Thank you for the suggestion... Yeah, the domain is catchy and generic that can be use on a specific niche.

•••
You might try putting up a simple wordpress blog and wait a few months before contacting the owners so it doesn't look like you purposely tried to make a quick buck off them.

•••
Hello,

I found a "keyword".com domain that is for sale. I search into google and found that a .net version of this domain is live. I think its a company. Now, my problem is if I buy this keyword.com domain, can I sold it to the company who owned the .net version? Or they can simply grab this domain from me because of a trademark issue? I checked namecheck.com and the trademark is still available for registration.

What do you think? Should I buy the domain?

If the .com version of the domain does not have trademark issues then you can register the domain there is no problem.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back