Dynadot

question Trademark issue help!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

OB1200

Established Member
Impact
Hi there guys.

I own pointer.org and I want to contact a couple of companies to hear if they are interested. The companies have very similar names to my domain for instance Pointercontrol, Inc and Pointer Creative, Inc. Would it be a good ideas to contact them?? They probably have a trademark on their name but it is not 100p similar to pointer.org

Thanks for your time i really appreciate it.

Omar

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi,

If we contact Trademark holder to sell similar name which clearly prove name got purchased or registered with bad faith. It’s clear case for them to win against you right away in case they file UDRP against you.

Thanks

•••
•••
•••
Short (free) answer: there is little chance of a TM issue.

There is also little chance such companies will want your .org

•••
•••
I personally would not contact them as it would indicate that one consideration in purchasing the domain name was that companies had that name (UDRP). If they already are established in .com, I think the payoff is unlikely anyway, and not worth possible legal headaches. (I have no legal background beyond a grad course in Legal Aspects of Education which is not too relevant here!)

The name pointer is very generic, though, so would send a wider net. In particular, pointer is a data structures common term, and pointers are used in technologies like blockchain and cryptocurrencies using blockchain. Since they like to brand in .org, I would try to find a tech startup in that field. Good luck.

•••
It's a dictionary word, even if you owned the .com, it would be very unlikely for any company to forcibly take this domain from you.

Last edited:
•••
marked.
just to learn, thanks.

•••

Why would there be a little chance such companies would want my domain?

•••
Back