NameSilo

question Trademark infringement advice

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

entrepreneur37

Established Member
Impact
Hi, I'm new. I'm interested in buying a domain for sale. However, I am afraid of the legal consequences.
1. How to register a domain to make sure there is no such or similar trademark. in Uspto, almost any word I write has such a trademark. In addition, there may be, for example, a dogstore trademark and I may have checked and registered the dogshop and they have accused me of being similar and infringing on a trademark. How do I check so many thousands of options?
2. I want to register domains with a combination of dictionary words. For example, newphone, cheapshop, prodesign and more. 100% with any of these words will have a trademark for example with the word design. How to avoid trademark infringement and have no problems.
3. If I register a domain for sale and have such a trademark, can they sue me and take my money?
Why will it cost me money if I have nothing on the site and domain address or ads or anything. Just a blank page. How can I do such damage to them to judge me for money?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Dole could trademark Pineapple for the sale of the fruit.
Generic words are the weakest types of “marks” (and cannot even qualify as “marks” in the legal sense) and are never registrable or enforceable against third parties. Because generic words are the common, everyday name for goods and services and everyone has the right to use such terms to refer to their goods and services, they are not protectable.

source: https://www.uspto.gov/sites/default/files/documents/BasicFacts.pdf

•••
Hi.

I've searched this thread because i aqquired a domain and, now, i've received a communication via Whoisguard, from someone representing the interests of a business whith the same name a business (and a site) i've registered, just with a different extension. I've registered the domain because i've thinked the name is generic enough to not conflict with any business. But, after received the notice (not to me directly, but received via Whoisguard) i've investigated and the domain is also registered in EUIPO (and in USA). The name is something general like "global business center" but, yes, it's registered. The domain is parked in a parking company (not for sale, after the notice). I've never use it to fake something. Only to try to sell it. Now, i'm concerned...

• What do you think to put a "non-affiliation disclaimer" in the landing page (and disable ads for that domain, of course)?
  • It's probable whoisguard give them my personal data?
  • If some ads were shown in the parking page, even once, and/or i've earned even 1 cent, this could be a problem, even if i ignore name is trademarked?
  • Do you think it's a good idea i write to trademark owners to tell i'm not aware of trademark conflicts OR do you think it's a good idea to take the domain offline and, silently, allow it to expire?
Thanks in advance.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back