IT.COM

question Tracking Visitors To A Trademark Domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Majikat

Impact
Hi, long time browser of this site but first time poster.

I purchased a hand registered domain a while ago that I am sure will be copyrighted/trademarked so at this stage not looking at selling nor do I have a website with this domain name. I presume it will have to stay this way or potentially hand it over to the legal owner. I currently have full privacy on this domain name.

What I would like to do is somehow track the visitors (Google Analytics or other data sources) to see how many direct visits there would be to a future site without this being traced back to me. I know that if I have a blank page with a Google Analytics code in the HTML then this will be easily seen (not sure how easily traced this would be or if legally they can pursue Google to hand over the information), unless there is a way to hide this. Not sure if via hosting my ID can also be obtained easily.

Basically, Is there a way I can host a blank site with analytics but not be traceable? This is simply a curiosity for me to see how many potential hits I receive without monetising the domain name.

The domain only cost me $12 so I will not be taking a financial hit if I lose it - but the name is so good I just want to see how popular it is and what the analytics behind the visitors would be.

Thank you very much.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Good evening and welcome to NamePros.

Here is some free information. Others can judge whether it is good or bad information. Your first post and it is about buying a potentially trademarked name. Why...why...why??? There are millions of other names that you could have bought or registered yourself. Most new domainers worry about whether they will be able to sell their domain. Yo are having to worry about whether you can lose the name and maybe be sued into the bargain. Are you feeling lucky?...Well, are you punk? You have entered into a business where most things are learned the hard way by putting in hundreds of hours of blood, sweat and tears. Just don't do it!!!

If someone wants their name back I don't think that having full privacy on your domain name matters. The people that sell to us and enable us to register our names have a probable legal and moral obligation to provide your details if it is proven beyond all reasonable doubt that you have acted in bad faith.

Sometimes, names are available for a very good reason. You will not have been the first person to have seen this name. There may have been hundreds before you but they decided to skip it and find a better alternative. Use this as a learning curve and if you're not sure and need to ask questions, then you probably already know the answers. Whether you like them or not. If you're not sure and you have recently got this domain you may be able to grace delete it at the registry and get your money back so you will have to check. You can also just delete it or cancel it yourself.

I have hand regged 95% of all of my domains and maybe they are not the best but I don't need to worry about letters coming through the mail. Read and then read some more. Work out now what you are good at and concentrate on that. Use the search function here on this forum to check stuff before registering any more names. You are not the first but you won't be the last. Live and learn and don't do it again.

Good luck for your journey ahead. It will be long and bumpy.

Regards,

Reddstagg

•••

Regards,

Reddstagg[/QUOTE]

Thanks Reddstagg for your response.

I too have made good money on hand registered domains, these always give more of a sense of pride when sold than buying existing domains. It means you have managed to do your research correctly on something with no initial value.

I have actually purchased this particular domain already and I purchased it for the sake of me being the first to buy it before anyone else. If I get a letter to hand it over I will do exactly that and I will only be $12 out of pocket.

I understand the pitfalls of owning trademarked names and I have never purchased any before. This is more bragging rights rather than profit and I will not put up a fight if I need to hand it over. However, I do want to see how many searches it could potentially generate, hence my post. Maybe I should have asked this question without the need to mention it could be a trademarked name, but as this is a Domain forum I thought I would put it in context.

So the question still stands, maybe block out the trademark part if that muddies the waters :)

•••

Regards,

Reddstagg

Thanks Reddstagg for your response.

I too have made good money on hand registered domains, these always give more of a sense of pride when sold than buying existing domains. It means you have managed to do your research correctly on something with no initial value.

I have actually purchased this particular domain already and I purchased it for the sake of me being the first to buy it before anyone else. If I get a letter to hand it over I will do exactly that and I will only be $12 out of pocket.

I understand the pitfalls of owning trademarked names and I have never purchased any before. This is more bragging rights rather than profit and I will not put up a fight if I need to hand it over. However, I do want to see how many searches it could potentially generate, hence my post. Maybe I should have asked this question without the need to mention it could be a trademarked name, but as this is a Domain forum I thought I would put it in context.

So the question still stands, maybe block out the trademark part if that muddies the waters :)[/QUOTE]

No worries. Just don't know how 'New' someone actually is when they join here. I'd say if you have the time you should at least spend a while checking the basics of trademark legislation. Only once you have a little more knowledge will you know whether you have the courage to roll the dice and just go for it. If there's a company in downtown America somewhere called American Great Red Kettles and they are are a cake shop would there be an obvious connection to a company in London called Red Kettles who sell all colours of kettle? Probably not. Even if there is a TM it may not cover all sectors, niches or industries. It may just cover one specific category. If this is the case then I'd say you should be ok. Obviously, this is just my limited opinion and you should seek the opinion of a suitable TM lawyer if anything nis not clear.

The only way to know sometimes is to put it out their in the wind and see what comes back.

Regards,

Reddstagg

•••
I personally started using cloudflare free account and they have analytics feature there, you can give a try, regarding if is secure to hide yourself, not sure.
Also if you don't use the domain for a specific website i doubt this will bring trouble at all.
If i want i can go reg some facebook 3 word domains and test the traffic without any website content.

•••
  • Making a Domain Lander will do what you say

•••
I think a lander at a registrar or sales platform fits your requirements, but there may also be adds served which could create issues if the name is trademarked.

•••
Back