NameSilo

Track Your Costs!

Labeled as advice in Domain Beginners, started by gericsb, Dec 4, 2020

Replies:
Views:

1. gericsb

gericsb Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I still consider myself a beginner, but have been involved in domaining two times. Once about 8 or 9 years ago and have just recently got back in it.

I have received lots of good advice here. So I wanted to share some things I learned or wished I had done better.

1. Track your costs!!!

There is an endless array of names to register and I even got caught up this past Thanksgiving weekend with all the deals and coupons, registering a BUNCH of names. When it comes time to renew these at Full Price, its going to be expensive. I set a reminder about 2 weeks before each domain aito renews so I can turn off those that I want to let drop.

Each year you renew a domain goes into the COSTS column in my Excel spreadsheet.

2. Have Realistic Expectations

During my first foray into domaining, I was lucky to make 3 sales my first year. $1500 for a dot TV, $350 for a Dot-TV, $500 for a Dot com. This let me have a nice profit. And hold some names long term

3. Use Sales As Insight to Your Skills

All my sales were Keyword Domains. The 2 Dot TV sales were single keywords. The DotCom was a 2 keyword domain. I realized I had a knack for keyword domains and focused on them, mostly.

I will add more as I think of it!

Had all 3 set to much higher prices, but Auto Renewal days were coming around fast and I needed the funds

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. WatchDogue

WatchDogue Top Contributor VIP

Those are good points and insightful perspectives on your domain experiences.

Learning to keep my domain expectations reasonable and realistic - in particular buying and then pricing for sale - in my early domain days was my number one lesson learned.

Seems like you had 3 decent sales early on in your career!

3. gericsb

gericsb Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Yes, I was very lucky. I sold one here on NP I think. It was a long time ago. Lol

One from a Sedo Offer

And one from a Sedo Auction

Had about 40 domains back then, which was the most I ever held so having 3 sales allowed me to keep going. Renewals get expensive fast!

Having realistic expectations is very important. As you stated. Seeing all these 4 and 5 figure sales gets your blood pumping, but you also need some cashflow to hold those special names long enough to get that 5 figure offer 😁

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
biix
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice