IT.COM

Top SEO's are recommending brandables not EMDs

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
If you want to learn SEO I recommend dropping into the channel of josh bachynski. His SEO show is underrated, and has some excellent advice when it comes to how to execute great white-hat SEO.

One of the things he is recommending to his viewers is to go with short brandables within any extension, yes even the new gTLD's.

In his intro video he is advising to pass on the 'expensive' exact match $5k - $50k domain names and go brandable. Then start advertising via social etc...

This does come from an SEO expert an not so much a branding expert, but I thought that it was interesting to hear for recommended SEO practice for 2016.

Your thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
SEO expert is advising about domain names....advice...buy brandables on any extension.

Good...follow him...

•••
SEO expert is advising about domain names....advice...buy brandables on any extension.

Good...follow him...

I think your reply is a bit harsh. He only says it is interesting and doesnt push us to go 100% brandable.

While keywords obviously will keep their value for different reasons, it is an interesting point.

You could say: if you dont get the top domain for your keywords, go for brandable instead of a secondary keyword domain. I think it is interesting but then again I still think keywords are easier to find end users for.

Anyway, thanks for the info!

•••
I think your reply is a bit harsh. He only says it is interesting and doesnt push us to go 100% brandable.

While keywords obviously will keep their value for different reasons, it is an interesting point.

You could say: if you dont get the top domain for your keywords, go for brandable instead of a secondary keyword domain. I think it is interesting but then again I still think keywords are easier to find end users for.

Anyway, thanks for the info!

Brandable.coms are always good if they are pronounceable. SEO is dead for me after Google's panda and other updates. Basic SEO is enough which can be done by anyone.

SEO expert is an anomaly in these days.

•••
Basically from an SEO perspective EMD's do not carry as much weight as they did previously. So lets say for instance you had a choice of buying an EMD for $1500 with the intention to build a site and get it ranked .... The money would be better spent on grabbing a brandable domain name for reg price and then spending that same money on high quality content and quality back links.

•••
He is fairly smart to say: Do not waste your money buying and EMD from others who have priced them too high!

•••
NC on the source... his videos basically repeat the same stuff anyone can get if you watch the free Webmaster Central webinars...

IMO, there are bigger fish to fry. EMD's aren't what they were several years ago and even then were only a free pass for one keyword (sometimes singular and plural). Branding is big and has value beyond search. Use what works for you and your audience.

My main caveat against the nGTLD's are the lack of consumer awareness / buy-in, which diminishes trust among those unfamiliar with the site. I've personally experienced sites on weaker extensions not getting the same organic CTR as similar ones on the more familiar com/net/org's. CTR is a factor. Not easy staying on page 1 if search engines don't think people want to see that result.

SEO is dead for me after Google's panda and other updates. Basic SEO is enough which can be done by anyone.

You'd be surprised how many people assume that and completely f it up ;).

Last edited:
•••
For serious business, you need a brand, not a set of words. I thought it's clear to everyone. Facebook is called FaceBook and not TheBestSocialNetwork. Apple is called Apple and not TheBestGadgetsAndComputerFirm.

•••
The main point being that other SEO's do listen to advice like this, and it tends to propagate. It's important not to just look at 'domaining' and look at other processes that surround it - especially what people in the SEO community are saying to their customers.

From a branding perspective, especially my perspective, owning the exact match of your service or product is a must if you can afford it and it's not taken by an operating brand.

•••
Even if EMD's are not the same as before, they are easier to sell then brandables.. just my opinion.

•••
I feel like people are forgetting the best brands are also EMDs. Think Apple, Mint, etc.

•••
For serious business, you need a brand, not a set of words. I thought it's clear to everyone. Facebook is called FaceBook and not TheBestSocialNetwork. Apple is called Apple and not TheBestGadgetsAndComputerFirm.

You can buy my brandables.. should I send you a list?

•••
•••
I'd love to see some data on CTRs on domains for both adwords and SERPs for brandables vs EMD (particularly services). I suspect EMDs will enjoy a much higher CTR.

•••
I feel like people are forgetting the best brands are also EMDs. Think Apple, Mint, etc.
No. In "EMD", match means keyword match. Apple as a fruit, as a word, as a term, is not related to computers in any way.

•••
No. In "EMD", match means keyword match. Apple as a fruit, as a word, as a term, is not related to computers in any way.

Incorrect.

No where in the definition does it say the domain has to be used for the obvious purpose.

•••
I'm listening to the whole thing now and one thing in particular irked me at the start. "EMDs are risky", wait what!?

I'm guessing his point is that you're at risk of over optimizing on page SEO, but I mean if you're over optimizing on page SEO then you're doing just that and you'll get a smack down from Google regardless. On page SEO has and always will be about just enough but not too much.

•••
From an seo point of view before anyone could build out an emd, get some traffic from google and make some money.

Google has made so many changes that now the big guys fill almost all the top spots for most emd making it near impossible for the small guys to compete.

emd have some value but nothing compared to building your own brandable authority site.

•••
Basically from an SEO perspective EMD's do not carry as much weight as they did previously. So lets say for instance you had a choice of buying an EMD for $1500 with the intention to build a site and get it ranked .... The money would be better spent on grabbing a brandable domain name for reg price and then spending that same money on high quality content and quality back links.

By the way, EMD stands for: “Exact Match Domain
It is a filter Google launched in September 2012 to prevent poor quality sites from ranking well simply because they had words that match search terms in their domain names. When a fresh EMD Update happens, sites that have improved their content may regain good rankings :)

•••
By the way, EMD stands for: “Exact Match Domain
It is a filter Google launched in September 2012 to prevent poor quality sites from ranking well simply because they had words that match search terms in their domain names. When a fresh EMD Update happens, sites that have improved their content may regain good rankings :)

If anyone on this forum doesn't know what an EMD is... they should logout and never come back.

•••
•••
•••
What do you guys think would happen if you have an EMD with quality content?

•••
@MisterSoft - I'm confused, what gave you the impression that I DIDNT know what an EMD is and that I didn't know about Google updates?

•••
What do you guys think would happen if you have an EMD with quality content?

EMD's are nice to have but simply do not carry as much clout as they used too. Quality content trumps just about everything these days. Good onsite SEO and Quality content is King. Add some high quality back links and you have a trifecta. A good, aged EMD would simply be the cherry on top...not a must have but more of a nice to have.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back