Domain Empire

opinion Top.Domains - Bought for $2,000; Sold for $750

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
According to an article on OnlineDomain, the buyer of Top.Domains bought it for $999. Tried to sell it but did not sell.
So, he had to renew it for another $999.
Thereafter, he sold it for $750.

The new buyer has forwarded the domain name to DomainName.Gallery. The website displays:
"The days of .com domains are coming to an end…" written at the top!!

Reference: OnlineDomain

Comments on the sale and the website caption?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Prepare to hear plenty of similar stories.

The days of .com domains are coming to an end… indeed.
After the new extensions.

•••
Perfect example of where premium renewals quickly dig your grave. How many .COM domains could you renew with $999? - Witth Godaddy Discount Domain Club you could renew nearly 100 domains.

•••
While I do see a future for gTLDs... I do not think .com will come to an end any time soon.

•••
is domains.top still available?

•••
Many new TLD domain investors recognize that it may be years down the road before a viable aftermarket develops for these names but fail to recognize the danger of premium renewals. Earlier this month I sold a .Net domain I first hand-regged as a newbie in late 2005. The sale was only a few hundred dollars but there is no way I would have ever renewed that name so many years if my renewals had been $50 or more annually.

•••
I've been domaining for nearly 10 years now and I've only ever bought .com. Call me old fashioned but it's just the way I am :)

•••
premium domains are not generally good for investments. They are only good if you already something developed that will bring in revenue.

There are however plenty of ngTLD opportunities that do not involve paying premiums.

I suspect in a year or two, fixed premiums will start to go away. The registries will start to auction and take the highest bid as the premium, allowing free market to determine what they are worth. The current price fixing is just so they can get some profit off of early suckers.

•••
•••
•••
Are you saying your premium domains are only $$$ when first purchased?

The renewal fee of all .top domains is the same, but the registration fee of premium ones varies from several hundreds to tens of thousands dollars.

One of the difference between .top and other new gtlds is that the renewal fee of premium ones is the same as standard ones, while premium domains of some other new gtlds have the same renewal fee as registration fee, ranging from several hundreds to thousands (you can check).

•••
The renewal fee of all .top domains is the same, but the registration fee of premium ones varies from several hundreds to tens of thousands dollars.

One of the difference between .top and other new gtlds is that the renewal fee of premium ones is the same as standard ones, while premium domains of some other new gtlds have the same renewal fee as registration fee, ranging from several hundreds to thousands (you can check).

Okay that's cool. Yeah - I was looking at some premiums on .video etc. that were over $1,000 per year with similar domain names on .com not even getting $1,000.

Nice to see you aren't doing the per year premium thing, that really bothers me about the others.

•••

So the article is not correct? The renewal on top.domains was $12?

•••
So the article is not correct? The renewal on top.domains was $12?

It's top.domains and domains.top, they are different. The $12 is for .top extension renewals.

•••
It's top.domains and domains.top, they are different. The $12 is for .top extension renewals.

Lol, my bad. I'm old and get confused easily.

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back