IT.COM

discuss .tokyo Domain names. gLTD

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ra777

Established Member
Impact
Hi everyone.
I would like to hear your thoughts about .tokyo domains. :)

As Tokyo is Mega City, population of 13,35 mil.
Beside, .tokyo domain use is growing.
From 1 feb'15 to 1 feb'16 it has grown from 0,002 to 0,009, soon reaching 0,1 % of all the websites.
When .com takes 49.6% of all websites. And has went down from 52+% to 49.6% in one year.

And i mean 13,35 mil, it must have good market there.
As not everyone got their .JP domains.
There must be people willing to get and pay for their domain in .tokyo extension.

One more reason!
China and Japan enjoy a close trading relationship. Japan is Hong Kong's 3rd largest trading partner, 6th largest market for domestic exports and 3rd largest market for re-exports, and 2nd largest source of imports.
So...connect dots by yourself.

There is still chance to take your surname, number or other .tokyo domain name.
And i really believe, there will be great sales for this gTLD in future.
I already have registered some good surname domains.
Like wang.tokyo (Chinesse surname) Wang Tokyo with 73 500 000 google search results.

So have any registred some .tokyo domain names?
They are cheap, around 12 USD at NameCheap.
Or visit: hello.tokyo/en/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't .tokyo available only for Tokyo residents?

•••
Correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't .tokyo available only for Tokyo residents?
No, there is No-restriction on registering your .tokyo domain name. :)

•••
.jp is still underutilized, what's the point of .tokyo, .okinawa etc ?
And these extensions are ASCII, not something that all Japanese are comfortable with.

Anybody has examples of geoTLDs that are doing well ?
What happened to .berlin for example ?

•••
.jp is still underutilized, what's the point of .tokyo, .okinawa etc ?
And these extensions are ASCII, not something that all Japanese are comfortable with.

Anybody has examples of geoTLDs that are doing well ?
What happened to .berlin for example ?
Geographical Domains : One of the most important trends on the internet is the so-called „localisation“. The search engines – led by Google – give more and more importance to geographical nearness to the user and give preference to search results, which for the user are more easily reachable. For example : To a user in Boston, locally identified by Google via her IP-Adress, an AUTO-LEASING.BOSTON will be shown – all other things being equal – at a higher search rank than AUTO-LEASING.COM. This is important when one bears in mind that the potential consumer reach of a city TLD like .TOKYO, .NYC or .LONDON is bigger than many countries, has exceptionally high buying power as well as trendsetting potential and a very concentrated base of business clients. Furthermore, corporate customers should consider the coming new TLDs of the great international metropoles in the lines of „global player, local actor“. For example DENNEMEYER.MADRID, DENNEMEYER.PARIS and DENNEMEYER.MOSCOW will better define international presence and signal local competence than the same name with the corresponding country code TLDs .ES, .FR or .RU.

About .Berlin.
Its good geo LTD. As well as .tokyo
But right now you are comparing 3,5 mil population with 13,3 mil population.
And besides .berlin has restriction.
"The owner of a .BERLIN domain name must have residence in the German capital, Berlin."
Anyhow you may register .berlin domain with "Trustee Service". But with additional cost, and the domain .berlin costs around $42.

I personally prefer to go cheaper and bigger.
And just wait.

•••
As someone who lives in Tokyo. There is zero interest. I wouldn't bother.

•••
.asia is a huge market, there are few sales there. .tokyo is a tiny slice of that pie. If you want to dev something then you will have great options. To buy a name hoping to sell it on, it better be one of the best ones.

•••
Wang Tokyo with 73 500 000 google search results.

You have to put "wang tokyo" in quotes and then you will see there are only 5,130 results.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back