IT.COM

poll Tld for your personal website

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Which tld would you choose for your personal website?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • .name

votes
    0.0%
  • .me

votes
    5.7%
  • .info

votes
    0.0%
  • .com

votes
    91.4%
  • Others

votes
    20.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

0frills

Established Member
Impact
To start with, i would want to clarify that a personal website would be something where you as an individual would want to share about yourself along with maybe your social media profile links and stuff like that?

Honestly, i have tried .com, went on to .me, registered a .name but never pointed the website to it. Finally gave up all of them and left it for Google to show my social media links when searched for my name :xf.smile:

Have you guys ever created your own personal website and if so, what are your thoughts about the tlds used or thought to be used?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.me is a decent TLD to use for personal websites. However, I'd still go for .coms.

•••
Have you guys ever created your own personal website and if so, what are your thoughts about the tlds used or thought to be used?
Yes, I thunk up a name relevant to what I believed reflective to my personal modus operandi, or mission statement, for a developed portfolio site on my domain names and just let it fly on its own. And now my particular choice actually ends up on first page, when searched on exact match, without really even doing anything in regards to promotion or marketing.

Not to be fooled though, people searching for just "domains" will likely never find my site. The behemoths take that spot. It's likely most the domains I sell are via the name themselves and where they are pointed, not someone visiting my site and going through the listings.

I did it more for a personal cataloguing and interaction with potential buyers if the domain points to a lander on my site.

I use dot-domains for it.

•••
If it was purely for personal use I would go all in with one of the below........in preferential order

.horse
.sexy
.ninja

Almost spelt sexy horse ninja (or sexy ninja horse?) - but alas, it wasn't meant to be......

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
And of course there's Wales.org. How did that not make the list?

•••
How many of the above whom have commented own their name in .com

Please comment

•••

Please comment
+1 -took a few years to acquire, and when done forwarded it to the new G.

Why, Alessandro?

•••
Tlds that I can build on

.com
.org
.io
.tv

•••
got my firstname in .com using it for my portfolio

•••
if you are entrepreneur, developer, designer, marketer etc.
you can also go with .agency (or .dev)

•••
If it was purely for personal use I would go all in with one of the below........in preferential order

.horse
.sexy
.ninja

Almost spelt sexy horse ninja (or sexy ninja horse?) - but alas, it wasn't meant to be......

Lol a .horse for a personal domain!

•••

Please comment

I kind have the .com of my name registered, although never setup a website on it. It's just registered and lying around so somebody else doesn't take it!

•••
Lol a .horse for a personal domain!
if it's purely for personal use.......then yeah :xf.smile:

If I was setting up a business or professional website....then hell no

•••

Why? Seriously, if it's a solid name.. eg purebred(.)horse would it be ok in another extension say dot-com, like purebredhorse(.)com?

I understand the investment sentiment on some of these, but on end-user view the choices to me sometimes make sense, it's exactly what they were looking for. There are actually a few developed business sites set up on the extension.

I sold a .horse and the matching dot-com once a while back, and to this day the buyer has the dot-horse developed and the dot-com parked. Don't ask me why, I would do a simple forward at least.

Being said, there's one .horse left in my stable but decided to let him run free in the pasture come this renewal. It was a good gallop.

•••
Why? Seriously, if it's a solid name.. eg purebred(.)horse would it be ok in another extension say dot-com, like purebredhorse(.)com?

I understand the investment sentiment on some of these, but on end-user view the choices to me sometimes make sense, it's exactly what they were looking for. There are actually a few developed business sites set up on the extension.

I sold a .horse and the matching dot-com once a while back, and to this day the buyer has the dot-horse developed and the dot-com parked. Don't ask me why, I would do a simple forward at least.

Being said, there's one .horse left in my stable but decided to let him run free in the pasture come this renewal. It was a good gallop.
I'm not in the horse, equine or galloping business unfortunately, but I do like horsing around - hence for personal use only :xf.wink:

•••
.com

But unfortunately the .com for my last name wasn't available so I went with .co :D

•••

Honestly what came to my mind was more of yourname.hourse :xf.smile:
Always on the run!

•••

Please comment
I managed to get firstnameL.com - name was gone managed to get my name and initial of last name

•••
Personally, I would search for:

.com, .org, .me, .blog, .name, .website, .site, .social, .media

•••
Since the .com is taken, I personally used
.ID as email address,
.ME as Link in Bio,
.NET as a Blog

•••
I've picked up .in, .im, .au so far (and try to register any decent short and cheap tlds that come up) but only because I have a fairly rare first name so that helps

They redirect them all to firstnameL.com

Sadly .horse was a premium one...

Last edited:
•••
I've picked up .in, .im, .au so far (and try to register any decent short and cheap tlds that come up) but only because I have a fairly rare first name so that helps

They redirect them all to firstnameL.com

Sadly .horse was a premium one...
Nice, although majority of them end up being charged a primium for renewals, which then tend to become expensive to maintain so many TLDs, even if it means that they are as a tribute to self!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back