- Impact
- 402
When I see a thread that the system indicates has received 9, 17, 23+ replies that suggests there is active interest and / or discussion in the posted topic.
Sometimes, due to that reply count, I "take a look" - to see if I have misjudged or missed something that may be taking place in the domaining world.
Regrettably, almost 100% of the time my curiosity is rewarded . . cough . . by discovering that the post author has simply "up posted" their no-value post, multiple times.
In other words, I've wasted my time, by clicking through - which experience becomes a) a disincentive to clicking through ANY thread based on reply count (alone), AND b) that same experience somewhat makes NP appear a bit disingenuous, a bit of a "fib teller". (Is it really a "reply" when all that is happening is the author just ups the post by repeated . . . replies to him or her self?)
I suspect "the fix" is not technically complex, in culling out the "redundant non-replies" of the author of the post.
So, food for thought: Is it beneficial or detrimental to list non-replies as if they are replies? Is it misleading? Does it improve or impair the user / viewer experience?
The coding logic, to weed out success author-only non-replies is not that complex.
Sometimes, due to that reply count, I "take a look" - to see if I have misjudged or missed something that may be taking place in the domaining world.
Regrettably, almost 100% of the time my curiosity is rewarded . . cough . . by discovering that the post author has simply "up posted" their no-value post, multiple times.
In other words, I've wasted my time, by clicking through - which experience becomes a) a disincentive to clicking through ANY thread based on reply count (alone), AND b) that same experience somewhat makes NP appear a bit disingenuous, a bit of a "fib teller". (Is it really a "reply" when all that is happening is the author just ups the post by repeated . . . replies to him or her self?)
I suspect "the fix" is not technically complex, in culling out the "redundant non-replies" of the author of the post.
So, food for thought: Is it beneficial or detrimental to list non-replies as if they are replies? Is it misleading? Does it improve or impair the user / viewer experience?
The coding logic, to weed out success author-only non-replies is not that complex.
















