Domain Empire

discuss Thread in my name when I did not create it?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NickB

it's a mysteryTop Member
Impact
Who took it upon themselves to put the omniverse thread in my name?

https://www.namepros.com/threads/om...ur-names-and-discussion-thread.1255969/unread

I did not start that thread, did not want to start a separate thread and made that quite clear when I tagged one of the mods on there.....

It's a bit of pi*s take that you can do that if you ask me

Please take my name of the thread that I did not create.......

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Do you have an idea that we could develop that would help?

A short intro message above those threads will help. That the postings were originally from another thread, etc.

•••
The best solution is probably to have these threads show as being created by a generic account named something like "Split Thread" or "Thread Splitter" with the first post explaining where it was split from and optionally why.

Agree.

I had a thread created by splitting where I am the author some time ago - https://www.namepros.com/threads/problems-bugs-and-fixes-at-afternic-report-problems-here.1006373/ - thankfully the thread title reflected what I'd have suggested!

I had no idea that could happen and I was surprised so I do think improvements or adjustments to the process are needed, and yes I do want NP to retain content as much as possible.

•••
Hello,

To summarize:
  1. You wanted the posts moved.
  2. Your post was the first post of that secondary topic.
  3. We do not know of an existing thread for the topic of these posts.
  4. We moved the posts to a new thread.

Questions:
  • What did you expect to happen in this scenario? What else could possibly happen other than your first post becomes the first post of a new thread?
    • Do you want it to be a thread without a creator? Our forum software doesn't have a way to do that.
    • Do you want a newer post to become the first post? Then the posts would be out of order.
  • Did we miss moving a post on the topic that was older than yours?
  • Do you have an idea that we could develop that would help?

Thanks in advance.

•••
Another suggestion. When attaching a user to a new thread as the creator, you want to make sure that the title has all the nuances and fits with their background on the forum. I would say, especially since the context from the original thread is not directly visible or known. I feel exactly what @NickB is feeling.

Last edited:
•••
A short intro message above those threads will help. That the postings were originally from another thread, etc.

Maybe also a short autogenerated prefix to the thread title to indicate it has been "forked" from another topic - for example "Subthread;" or "Migrated:" or "Divorced:"

•••
Not speaking for @NickB here, but with my example I'd then rather have seen that the thread were not created at all. The content was useful but appeared not to fit in the original thread. Bottomline is that creating a new thread has a lot of nuance, it includes the right timing, the right title, the right author, and the right accompanying postings that were moved together to the new thread (aka context).

Last edited:
•••
Hello,

it appears that you, yourself, requested all the off-topic Omni related posts to be moved to the new Omniverse thread.

For internal use ONLY: Report: Post in thread 'showcase - Omni/Omniverse - Showcase your names and Discussion Thread' - NamePros

Due to the above report and your request, all the Omni posts were moved to the new Omni thread and it just so happened that the very first off-topic Omni post was yours, which then made it the first post in the new Omni thread.

We hope that helps explain.

•••
Hello,

it appears that you, yourself, requested all the off-topic Omni related posts to be moved to the new Omniverse thread.

For internal use ONLY: Report: Post in thread 'showcase - Omni/Omniverse - Showcase your names and Discussion Thread' - NamePros

Due to the above report and your request, all the Omni posts were moved to the new Omni thread and it just so happened that the very first off-topic Omni post was yours, which then made it the first post in the new Omni thread.

We hope that helps explain.
You missed the point - I am not disputing the posts, they are fine and I requested them to be moved, never suggested I didn't.......

I did not start that thread, I did not create it or wish to do so - why does it show that I did?

Someone has put me down as the thread creator - this is the point I am trying to raise......And I am not happy about it :xf.smile:
Omni Screenshot.jpg

See the attached screenshot - I have circled it.........

You can't just presume to put my name down as a thread creator without my consent.......

Last edited:
•••
You missed the point - I am not disputing the posts, they are fine and I requested them to be moved, never suggested I didn't.......

I did not start that thread, I did not create it or wish to do so - why does it show that I did?

Someone has put me down as the thread creator - this is the point I am trying to raise......And I am not happy about it :xf.smile:Show attachment 202572

See the attached screenshot - I have circled it.........

You can't just presume to put my name down as a thread creator without my consent.......
Our system is automated and does not allow us to choose who a thread starter is. The system goes by the very first time-stamp and automatically makes that post the first one in a new thread.

Your request would require technical recoding and we are not sure how possible that would be.

Tagging @Paul - As they would have a better understanding of how the system works and how possible it would be to manually change who a thread starter is, bypassing timestamps.

•••
Screenshot_20211024-030435_Chrome.jpg

This happened to me, but I felt uncomfortable that it was created in the Break Room and with this title.

This particular one would fit perfectly in the Technology section, with a better title, that I am able to adjust. 'Cyber security' is waaaay to broad for what I want to say. :unsure:

Another thread was created with the name of another user (not me) about 'religion'. That can be very tricky to do it that way.

Last edited:
•••
•••
We are limited on when we can delete content:
Do those posts of yours violate the rules?

Note: This team did not move your posts and does not know anything about them.
No

This pickle was not created by me, but by some Mod who assumed I would know the repercussions of agreeing to moving posts from one thread to another

To add cheese to the pickle the posts where moved to a thread I did not create, that originally had anothers name attached to it, but now has my name on it.......without consent

Turning this into a cheese and pickle sandwich - Are you trying to say that there is no way to remove my name from a thread I did not create?

Toast that cheese & pickle sandwich - Why am I the one under an obligation to come up with more suggestions when I did not create this culinary delight or know the rules or IT system as well as yourselves? The 2 I came up with where my best ones, which is not saying a lot........

I need to leave now ......hopefully when I log in tomorrow someone will of unwrapped this sandwich and come up with a solution.....

I'll also have a think and see if anything pops into my head - I also need to get a late dinner (food is on my mind)

Worst case I might have to eat the bloody sandwich and live with it........

•••
Maybe also a short autogenerated prefix to the thread title to indicate it has been "forked" from another topic - for example "Subthread;" or "Migrated:" or "Divorced:"

Nice suggestion, too. Would like to add "Complicated:" to the mix. Most of the time it is.

Last edited:
•••
I didn’t create the thread they did this. I got a alert saying the post were moved from meta/Metaverse thread .. Then it was in this thread. But I’m with it if I wanna put my name on it … don’t matter to me. Maybe they took the first post tht mentioned Omniverse n created the thread. I have no clue

Last edited:
•••
I didn’t create the thread they did this. I got a alert saying the post were moved from meta/Metaverse thread .. Then it was in this thread. But I’m with it if I wanna put my name on it … don’t matter to me. Maybe they took the first post tht mentioned Omniverse n created the thread. I have no clue
Sorry - I assumed it was you, my bad........

I think it was done automatically by Namepros software - hopefully Paul can clear it up.....

•••
Sorry - I assumed it was you, my bad........

I think it was done automatically by Namepros software - hopefully Paul can clear it up.....
No problem.. Hope you get it figured out and your name removed if you don’t want it there. Yes, seems like the software just created the thread from the first Omni post

•••
  • Do you have an idea that we could develop that would help?

Cutting down on “automated” services unless they are proper

Last edited:
•••
I felt uncomfortable that it was created in the Break Room and with this title.
If that happens and you disagree with the section or its title, please contact us to suggest a different section and/or a different thread title.

But is there a better solution that wouldn't require the need to contact us?

Last edited:
•••
•••
I do understand that it's difficult. It's already difficult to moderate a thread, a whole forum, then you have several options to edit, remove, move, warn, inform. Respect for that. The result for this case is not optimal. A default introduction message that's autogenerated may be a start. Writing a good topic is more of a challenge and time consuming. The moved postings in the new thread may not all fit under one nuanced topic. But for sure, a serious topic on gender equality in EU sponsored cyber security hackathons should not be in the Break Room.

Will think with you, have to sleep now. I'm typing while brushing my teeth.

Last edited:
•••
Any update?......
We don't have a solution to this yet.

I suggest whoever reported my omniverse posts to be removed from the metaverse thread be made the omniverse thread creator as it was their actions that created the thread......
We don't feel this solution is appropriate.

Do you have another suggestion?

•••
Are you trying to say that there is no way to remove my name from a thread I did not create?
In fairness, you created the post. A thread is only: a post with a title, and it allows other posts to be attached to it. There's really nothing else to a thread.

The moderator chose the title, but you can let us know if you have a different title that you'd like it to use.

The best solution is probably to have these threads show as being created by a generic account named something like "Split Thread" or "Thread Splitter" with the first post explaining where it was split from and optionally why.

However, we don't have a way to do that yet. It would have to be developed.

If you have a more immediate suggestion, we're happy to try to help.

•••
I'd then rather have seen that the thread were not created at all
That's fair, but members sometimes get quite upset if the content that they took time to create is deleted, so moving it is often a better solution to preserve their contributions and respect their time.

While we understand it's unrealistic and that mistakes happen, our preference is that all content be on topic and relevant to the thread where it's posted, so when that isn't the case, it is reasonable to expect that some sort of consequence will follow (e.g., it will be deleted or moved).

The way to avoid it is to carefully try to stay on topic within threads.

Does anyone feel this solution is not ideal?

If it's agreeable, the tech team can try to add it soon.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back